New Suspension (I know, I know!)

BenM

40 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

They have been out of stock on Autodoc for months, cheapest I've found so far is Larkspeed in Leeds, also on their eBay store.

They list Koni 'Active' Shocks, and Koni 'Special Active' Shocks

Are there 2 different versions, or is that a mistake ?

13 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

A 10cm drop bloody should be noticeable...

My spring broke on the front drivers side so it was already low before it got swapped over hence thinking it wasnt much difference. 😛 

22 minutes ago, BenM said:

They list Koni 'Active' Shocks, and Koni 'Special Active' Shocks

Are there 2 different versions, or is that a mistake ?

These are the ones I bought from autodoc via the app as it has a bigger discount than the website. 

They are in stock as well but its 'only' at 35% discount at the moment so I'd wait till 39% or 41% off if you're not in a rush. 

https://m.autodoc.co.uk/koni/12776114

https://m.autodoc.co.uk/koni/12776113

27 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

I was thinking halfcut after all the wine he has been drinking lately. ..🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🤣

Probably nearer the truth than I should admit...

• Like 1

Someone on 911uk, user name Maldren (real name Mike), worked with Centre of Gravity to get a group of COG customers together who have different suspension set-ups from a variety of manufacturers and test them all on road and on track at the same time with the owners driving each others cars (996 to be fair, not 986) to determine what they thought of the various set-ups. There is an article on it out there somewhere if you wanted a thorough comparison?

1 hour ago, Stuart21UK said:

go on change his avatar to

half-carrot-VRZL3Q4-600.jpg

double dare you 🤣

You're lucky that sort of think is above my pay grade - or @John K would have suffered badly in the past. :whistle1:

If you think you will want to experiment with the geo then save yourself the hassle and get the rear adjustable toe links. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

If you think you will want to experiment with the geo then save yourself the hassle and get the rear adjustable toe links. 

And up the budget...

On 6/14/2023 at 5:58 PM, MickH said:

Koni sports and 40mm H&R here. Love them. No issues apart from the most severe of speed bumps

interesting - please tell me more Mick !

What is the ride quality like ? Any pics ?

Do you have the adjustable toe links ?

Cheers

Ben 🙂

17 minutes ago, BenM said:

interesting - please tell me more Mick !

What is the ride quality like ? Any pics ?

Do you have the adjustable toe links ?

Cheers

Ben 🙂

Mick's is a 987 vs your 986...  -40mm is quite extreme and expensive if you then don't like it.  Just a work of caution, however your car, your choice as always.

41 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Mick's is a 987 vs your 986...  -40mm is quite extreme and expensive if you then don't like it.  Just a work of caution, however your car, your choice as always.

Yep - just getting as many ideas as poss before I pull the trigger early next week.

I thought the 986 / 987 platforms were fundamentally very similar, so wasn't aware the setups would be much different.

Is there a quality 20 / 25mm lowering spring option that could be paired with the Koni Special Actives, that provides some middle-ground ?

As it's a second car i don't mind some compromise from std, but certainly not like a shopping trolley !

Cheers

Ben

On this forum at least I was one of the first to do this. I have already fitted brand new OEM spec M030 to another 986. I had some further dialogue with Chris at Centre Gravity and he confirmed to me then that the FSD was a popular replacement path for 993 owners but had not done a 986 at that time. I took the leap of faith to do it and at the same time the H&R M030 spec spring was recently released. 

I've just looked back through my emails and a quote from CG in there from 2015 "our experience with Koni FSD (and it is only an opinion) is that the high speed bump characteristic is much more compliant, so pot holes / drain covers etc are less apparent through the car. The damper then tends to stiffen up whe. It senses that you want to press on down the twisty roads". 

The Koni FSD is now called Special Active and works with standard and H&R M030 springs.  Feedback on here is it is a good combination.  I have no issues with the same Konis on standard ride height springs either.  The Boxster is not really a car for 'low and hard', it benefits from retaining compliance, as do most Porsches, unless you want to focus more and a track set up for track days.

The 986 at the time was the entry level every day sports car. I guess similar in ethos to a Golf GTi. That brief means suitable day to day. Many of these cars are now weekend/summer/B road cars and baggy standard suspension doesn't cut it. Tighter and a bit more focus is a good thing. 

Edited by edc

8 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Larkspeed always seem to have the cheapest Koni prices. Their website is a bit naff but....

Yep - £676 for the kit. Best I've seen so far

And £190 for the springs off Ebay

plus £1100 for the Arms 'bundle' from Spyder Performance

plus unknow for the labour, but I'm guesstimating about £1K

So probably £3K ish for everything sorted.