Windscreen Replacement

Gramps

Hi All

So, has anyone changed their windscreen on a 987.2 Boxster?
My motor has done 90k miles and obviously suffered front facing collateral damage in that time.
The bumper was re-sparayed before I bought it, hence I thought it looked good for the mileage.
But, besides the obviously chip or 2 on the bonnet. the windscreen is also showing signs of mileage.
It's much more noticeable with a lower sun and can be very distracting. The screen is peppered with small chips all over.
Has anyone on here had experience in changing the windscreen?
If for the same reasons what difference did it make?
If replaced for whatever other reason, cracked/chipped, was it something you were glad you did, or something you wished you'd left as it was?
The Boxster screen with built in aerial and being a convertible, somehow seems a tad more complicated. Anyone got any advice before I take the plunge?
TIA....Rob (AKA Gramps)

Yes I had mine replaced at an OPC and yes it was nice to look out of fresh glass.

As I understand it most OPCs will sub the job out to people they use.

The only drama was that they didn't reconnect the GPS aerial properly under the scuttle, which I had to reach in and do to get the Nav to work correctly afterwards. Annoying but not world-ending.

Autoglass fitted an OE screen for me in a 987.1 and that was also fine.

Quality of fitment comes down to the hands on the job on the day, not the sign above the door.

No affiliation, seen this guy get good write-ups on here and elsewhere https://glasstecpaul.com

Check the radio reception, NAV satellite lock re NAV is working to pickup your location and the rain sensor after fitment.

You may need to drive it a little to acquire the NAV satellite lock.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Had to get my 986 screen replaced because of a massive chip that became a crack. Autoglass did mine at home with an OEM screen my insurance where happy to supply. All good. The fitter was very good and I asked for him by name when I needed a new screen in my S-Max a year or so later. I hear Pilkington screens are fine if you can't get St. Gobin the OEM glass. One tip, get the fitter to double check he has exactly the right screen for your car and accessories BEFORE he takes the old one out. That was a tip the Autoglass guy gave me.

• Like 1

There are stories of no satnav, no twin arials, no sun tint, bad fitting (subsequent wind noise at speed)… there are good stories too but these are some things to watch out for.  As Topbox says, make absolutely sure they get the right one for YOUR car. 

• Like 1

My 987 screen was replaced by Autoglass. The first time they turned up the replacement was damaged but the second one was fitted without a problem. 

Just had a crack appear in the screen on the 981GTS so about to do the whole process again. I'm actually looking forward to a nice clean screen as its always had a slight chip right in my line of sight since I bought the car

• Like 1

I had the windscreen replaced under my insurance a year or so ago by national windscreens in Stafford . Oem windscreen and their service was exceptional.

2010 2.9 and the fitter insisted on me being present during the installation.

Mileage at the time was around 150k and the screen was the original so the difference was quite literally night and day..!

Si 

Edited by skoosh1970

Thanks for your input guys. Seems like not too many horror stories and seems ok to change it out in general. I so want a nice clear screen in front of me. I'll double check the right replacement screen is fitted and try and keep an eye to make sure all connections go back on 👍 

Have you got replacement windscreen cover in your insurance?  From what I know a replacement will be near 4 figures to replace outright.

Mine was done under the insurance due to a small crack under the wiper blade that I'd not seen and was beyond repair. I paid a little more on the excess and insisted on an oem that only took a few more days to arrive.

Are you sure you've not got a hairline crack somewhere...?

Windscreens are an odd one, as the price paid by insurers seems to be much higher than you’d pay directly.

a few years ago, after picking up a large crack, I enquired at our local National Windscreens and he asked was I going through insurance or not. I wasn’t sure so asked for a direct to customer price, which was around £400.

I decided to go through insurance (£75 excess) and the amount charged to them (and us policyholders) was £1300!