Another option code question (seats this time)

Gunscrossed

After using the excellent VIN code look up service on here I see the car I'm considering is listed as having the following;

Sports seat, backrest shell, left

Sports seat, backrest shell, right

Does this mean the hard back sports seats (with the wings) or are the standard seats still considered "sports seats"?

5 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Yes, according to the specs, the car has the hardback sport seats with wings, but seats do get swapped over, any photos?

The car no longer has the hard back seats, I also think the clocks have been changed.

i know the seats can be bought fairly reasonably but the instrument swap is a bit of a worry.

7 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

The car no longer has the hard back seats, I also think the clocks have been changed.

i know the seats can be bought fairly reasonably but the instrument swap is a bit of a worry.

Maybe it failed or was upgraded to white or 996 dials?

Very odd someone would remove the best seats, maybe they put 987 seats in?

I would be happy to look at the advert if you want a second opinion.

Edited by Daboy3000

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Maybe it failed or was upgraded to white or 996 dials?

Very odd someone would remove the best seats, maybe they put 987 seats in?

I would be happy to look at the advert if you want a second opinion.

According to the option codes the dials should be white but they're not now. Seats in it now are standard 986 seats.

1 minute ago, Gunscrossed said:

Could be something as simple as that, would changing the clocks throw the mileage out though?

Don't know about early cars but certainly 987 the mileage record is in the cluster (along with counters for when it needs a service etc. ) Regarding reasons for changing (again my reference point is 987 but I think same applies) - the LCD can be replaced separately - although perhaps that wasn't an option if that was the reason - likewise - you can change dial colours - but why you would swap from white to black just for "fun" ?

Whats the MOT history give you on mileage ? - any discrepancies there ?

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Don't know about early cars but certainly 987 the mileage record is in the cluster (along with counters for when it needs a service etc. ) Regarding reasons for changing (again my reference point is 987 but I think same applies) - the LCD can be replaced separately - although perhaps that wasn't an option if that was the reason - likewise - you can change dial colours - but why you would swap from white to black just for "fun" ?

Whats the MOT history give you on mileage ? - any discrepancies there ?

I've HPI checked it and there's only one mileage discrepancy which I'm 99.9% certain is just a simple mistake, it failed MOT on 15/11/2010 at
13:02 and the mileage is recorded as 86,162 (previous MOT was 64,306) then passes at 13:16 the same day, mileage 68,162. Failure was on emissions.

Obviously Hpi and MOT checker don't seem to go back before 2005 so there could be a discrepancy before then.

20 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

According to the option codes the dials should be white but they're not now. Seats in it now are standard 986 seats.

I've PMd you.

Silly question but could the sticker with the options be from another car?  I don't think I have ever seen a 2.5 with white dials.  I do know there is an option for painted dials.

4 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

mileage is recorded as 86,162 (previous MOT was 64,306) then passes at 13:16 the same day, mileage 68,162. Failure was on emissions.

Obviously Hpi and MOT checker don't seem to go back before 2005 so there could be a discrepancy before then.

It was an input error, surely

They just F'd it up!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I've PMd you.

Silly question but could the sticker with the options be from another car?  I don't think I have ever seen a 2.5 with white dials.  I do know there is an option for painted dials.

This car has the X71 option you can see it on the sticker under the bonnet, Porsche Boxster 2.5 1997 Arctic Silver Tiptronic Project | eBay

5 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

This car has the X71 option you can see it on the sticker under the bonnet, Porsche Boxster 2.5 1997 Arctic Silver Tiptronic Project | eBay

hmmm. so it does.  There seems to be conflicting information about these codes and I can't find a UK options list

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

8 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

hmmm. so it does.  There seems to be conflicting information about these codes and I can't find a UK options list

@T911UK can you cast any light on the inconsistencies in the build codes being discussed here?

• Thanks 1

Seems like you have a few question marks over the car you are looking at, unless it's a total unicorn that ticks all your boxes and then some, then perhaps time to move on and see what else is out there ?

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Seems like you have a few question marks over the car you are looking at, unless it's a total unicorn that ticks all your boxes and then some, then perhaps time to move on and see what else is out there ?

^^^ good advice.