Caught Out!!

Ringmaster999

6 minutes ago, Araf said:

On my start-stop cars, if the battery has been even slightly below fully charged, the start-stop disables. 

Same here on my daily.  Anything less than “did a 50 mile run yesterday” and it disables itself.  

7 minutes ago, Araf said:

inally, the trickle charging.  I'm sure that the 12v sockets on Porsches (and other cars) shut down as the car goes to sleep.  For this reason, I always hard wire to battery terminals for long periods of use (car inactivity).

Varies by model I think.  There was a cutoff on the 981 where the behaviour changed I think.

On my 987.2 it will switch off after 20 mins if nothing is plugged in and pushing power to it as I understand it.  

have used same method on two cars and I haven’t seen any evidence of it not working that way over fairly long (4 weeks or so ) downtime on the car. 

I think I read it the handbook but I don’t have it to hand to check.  

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Varies by model I think.

Which is exactly why I hardwire to the battery.  In 100% of cases, I know it will then get charged.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Araf said:

Which is exactly why I hardwire to the battery.  In 100% of cases, I know it will then get charged.

Except that on stop start cars you shouldn’t go direct to battery terminals, but use the “charging post” for negative.

which I don’t think has a bolt for permanent connection. So folks tend to pick up a spare “hole” the suspension top I believe.  

but yeah. I get why it’s a reasonable approach.  

13 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Except that on stop start cars you shouldn’t go direct to battery terminals, but use the “charging post” for negative.

which I don’t think has a bolt for permanent connection. So folks tend to pick up a spare “hole” the suspension top I believe.  

but yeah. I get why it’s a reasonable approach.  

Charge posts are for booster batteries, if you're jumping a car.  That's why they are so thick.  Trickle charger cable are so thin, they will never carry the amps sufficient to damage the car's systems.

24 minutes ago, Araf said:

Charge posts are for booster batteries, if you're jumping a car.  That's why they are so thick.  Trickle charger cable are so thin, they will never carry the amps sufficient to damage the car's systems.

But the theory in play for the battery sensor isn't damage - since the recommended charge post + positive  keeps the sensor in the loop - its that the sensor can’t  keep a track of what goes into and out of the battery if the flow doesn't go through it - sensor is associated with the positive side so the use of the charge post makes sure that the flow goes via the sensor into the battery rather than direct, same principal as using a chassis ground

Edited by Paul P

6 hours ago, iborguk said:

From experience the ciggy sockets on 987's and 718's stay alive if used to charge, that's how I've connected mine, no issues.

I wish there was one that doesn't, as my Nextbase camera carries on filling the SD card with nice videos of my driveway if I forget to unplug it. 😁

• Haha 1

Just now, cozzykim said:

I wish there was one that doesn't, as my Nextbase camera carries on filling the SD card with nice videos of my driveway if I forget to unplug it. 😁

I use the accessory socket in the passenger footwell on mine and it powers down after about 30 mins of locking the car.

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I use the accessory socket in the passenger footwell on mine and it powers down after about 30 mins of locking the car.

Thanks, I'll see whether mine's the same. At the moment I'm using the 12V socket in the glove box.

3 hours ago, cozzykim said:

Thanks, I'll see whether mine's the same. At the moment I'm using the 12V socket in the glove box.

My MY 13 glovebox 12v socket definitely does not power down provided you plug the Ctek in within the the stated time. The Ctek adapter I use from  the socket has a flashing green light to show its live.