Help with Becker Cdr23 and CD Multichanger

Glider

Can anybody help please? I've just bought a 2003 986 with a Becker cdr23 and a CD multichanger. I only have one CD and it worked fine in the head unit at first. Anyway, I decided to install a Mr12volt bluetooth adapter. All has gone well except the head unit cannot see the CD multichanger. I thought it wasn't working because it didn't have any CD's in it. So I took it to the local Porsche dealer today. They plugged in their diagnostic device and found that it could see the Cdr23 and the CD multichanger. But whenever I press the CD button on the head unit it doesn't see the multichanger. They said I'll need to book it back in for them to do further diagnostic work. 

After I left the dealer I put the CD back in the head unit and now it won't even play that. It was fine before I went to the dealer. 

My phone connects to the Mr12volt and thinks it's playing but I can't hear it as the CD button doesn't do anything. 

Edited by Glider

I think that most of the plug-in bluetooth adapters replace the CD multichanger, i.e. you can’t access the multichanger anymore since plugging in the Mr 12 V unit. Does your CD button toggle between the single drive in the headunit and the old multichanger? If so, press the CD button again and it should connect to the new bluetooth unit.

That's correct. So I should be able to tap the CD button and select the CD multichanger and hear my Bluetooth adapter. But when I press the CD button absolutely nothing happens.  It just keeps the FM radio on. Even with the multichanger bypass removed it still doesn't see the multichanger. Yet the Porsche dealer said it was all working ok according to his diagnostic device. 

He was using version 4 of the device. Maybe it's too new to work properly with the old car? I don't know. 

Annoyingly the single drive won't select since I've been to the dealer so I think his device has deactivated it. 

Edited by Glider

Update, single CD drive in the head unit is working again this morning. 

I've found out that I can only get it in CD mode by inserting a CD into the slot. If I then select FM pressing the CD button doesn't do anything. So I'm guessing that the CD button is faulty. 

You may find that pulling out the relevant fuse in the footwell, leaving it for a minute or so, and then refitting, may reset the headunit. I had to do this regularly with my CDR 24 before I accepted that it was FUBAR and replaced it with an android unit.

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Maybe pull the cdr out and have a spray around with contact cleaner and check visible wiring etc to see if the cd button can be woken up.  

Good idea. I've had it out and managed to get the top and front off. Couldn't see anything obvious. Will need to get some contact cleaner. 

My blue tooth adapter connects to aux from the CDR22. Do you have an aux option? There was a set- up process to enable it. it works very well but doesn’t have track skip. 
the continental is an excellent unit but the wiring adapter has to be suitable.

25 minutes ago, TV8 said:

My blue tooth adapter connects to aux from the CDR22. Do you have an aux option? There was a set- up process to enable it. it works very well but doesn’t have track skip. 
the continental is an excellent unit but the wiring adapter has to be suitable.

Thanks, the Cdr23 doesn't have the AUX option sadly. I went to Halfords and got some electrical contact cleaner. Stripped and cleanef the head unit but still the same. 

I think I will post it to DND Services in Devon as they have said they might be able to fix it. 

Edited by Glider

1 minute ago, Glider said:

Thanks, the Cdr23 doesn't have the AUX option sadly. I went to Halfords and got some electrical contact cleaner. Stripped and cleanef the head unit but still the same. 

I think I will post it to DND Services in Devon as they have said they might be able to fix it. 

they are well respected - hope it works out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Glider said:

Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

Update, single CD drive in the head unit is working. 

I've found out that I can only get it in CD mode by inserting a CD into the slot. If I then select FM pressing the CD button doesn't do anything. So I'm guessing that the CD button is faulty. 

I have the CDR23 with none working CD or Sound buttons so CD will play if you insert it but if you change to radio the only way to play CD is to eject and reinsert, took it apart to investigate and found badly corroded circuit board, quite common i think.

CDR23.jpg

Edited by boxster07

Just had a call from Dave at DND. The problem was the corroded circuit board. He has repaired it and is posting it back. I hope that's it all working now. Thanks for everyone's input. 😊

Edited by Glider
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Glider said:

Just had a call from Dave at DND. The problem was the corroded circuit board. He has repaired it and is posting it back. I hope that's it all working now. Thanks for everyone's input. 😊

Could I ask out of interest how much it's cost as mine is doing exactly the same .

Tia