Extra negative camber

ricof

Looking for advice/recommendations for increasing negative camber on the front. I’m at max negative camber on the front with standard components. As far as I can tell there are three options:

1) Powerflex adjustable camber bushes, can get up to 0.75 degrees extra adjustment. Roughly £200 for parts 

2) Motorsport adjustable coffin arms. Up to 3 degrees extra adjustment. Roughly £620 for parts 

3) Camber plates. Up to 2 degrees extra adjustment. Roughly £600 for parts. 

Obviously labour costs will vary. Does anyone have any experience with either of these options? 

30 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Out of interest why do you want more camber?  Fast road, track days or serious track work. Should only be needed (as opposed to wanted) for the last of these 3.

Track days! After two days worth of track driving the outside shoulders are looking pretty worn compared to the rest of the tyre. It’s at max neg camber presently. 

Ah, tyre wear. I run my RS60 on track in box standard condition apart from track pads and my spare set of wheels shod with Toyo R888’s. So far I have managed 6 dry TD’s on a set of tyres and still have a couple of dry days left.

I do push on and so am amazed at the reasonable tyre wear. I have checked temperature when coming in from track and highest recorded was over 50 degrees c! Shoulders are fine.

Of course if you are running road tyres you won’t achieve the same good wear. 

Also dropped about 8psi when tyres are hot,

18 minutes ago, phazed said:

Ah, tyre wear. I run my RS60 on track in box standard condition apart from track pads and my spare set of wheels shod with Toyo R888’s. So far I have managed 6 dry TD’s on a set of tyres and still have a couple of dry days left.

I do push on and so am amazed at the reasonable tyre wear. I have checked temperature when coming in from track and highest recorded was over 50 degrees c! Shoulders are fine.

Of course if you are running road tyres you won’t achieve the same good wear. 

Also dropped about 8psi when tyres are hot,

Tyre wear indeed. I’m on 17 inch wheels currently shod in Eagle F1 Assy 6 tyres. The choice of track focussed tyres are fairly limited for 17s, and somewhat expensive. 

I make sure to stay on top of pressures on track and bleed off as necessary. I’m erring towards the Powerflex bushes…

I am always on the look out for a spare set of wheels though!

Generally I use this guy:

tracktyre.co.uk

Change your tyres, leave settings alone. The cars handle brilliantly as standard, honestly.

The easiest way to add front negative camber is to use offset coffin arm bushes.

Powerflex Front Track Control Arm Inner Bushes, Camber Adjustable - Boxster 987 (2005-2012) - PFF57-801

These might give you an extra degree negative or so, but it won't be huge.

Afterwards you'll need to adjust the tracking.

This will help you get home after a track day without burning out the outside corners of standard road tyres.

As has been stated above, semi-slick track oriented tyres with a strong sidewall are a better long term option if you can do this.

if you are using your car for the occasional trade day, as I’ve said, leave well alone and just go for the proper tyres. Of course, if you are going to build a dedicated trick day car, then modify it away. That’s what I have done with my track day car which only sees the road to go to the petrol station! 

On both my 986 I have had the top mount slot dremelled out and made longer. This gives more adjustment involves no parts and is probably the cheapest way to do it. If you are tidy you won't even notice as it's barely 10mm max you are doing. 

6 hours ago, temporarychicken said:

The easiest way to add front negative camber is to use offset coffin arm bushes.

Powerflex Front Track Control Arm Inner Bushes, Camber Adjustable - Boxster 987 (2005-2012) - PFF57-801

These might give you an extra degree negative or so, but it won't be huge.

Afterwards you'll need to adjust the tracking.

This will help you get home after a track day without burning out the outside corners of standard road tyres.

As has been stated above, semi-slick track oriented tyres with a strong sidewall are a better long term option if you can do this.

Thanks, I think that is the route I will look to go down.

Do you have any recommendations for track tyres?

5 hours ago, phazed said:

if you are using your car for the occasional trade day, as I’ve said, leave well alone and just go for the proper tyres. Of course, if you are going to build a dedicated trick day car, then modify it away. That’s what I have done with my track day car which only sees the road to go to the petrol station! 

I would be aiming to do about 6-8 track days per year so a bit more focus would be good. The only road usage this car gets is the occasional 50 mile blast to see family and the annual trip to Le Mans. 

6-8 trackdays a year i'd definitely be looking at track tyres.

when i tracked my 986 i bought cheapo Accelera 651 sports from tyre streets... which were ok for a beginner track tyre. apparently similar performance to MPS4, but half the price. i am now going to try the 651 sport xtra tyres, which are apparently like Cup2s... but again way cheaper.

there are also zestino gredges in medium or soft from demon tweeks, and nankang NS2Rs, which are the control tyre for a lot of race series, and work pretty good in the wet.

then right at the top of the tree you've got the likes of Toyo R888R, or Nankang AR1s - though wet performance tails off with these in favour of ultimate dry performance.

personally, given they are just so dang cheap, i'd start with some 651 sport xtras and burn through them first. then see if the performance they offer is enough for you, or whether to upgrade to nankang NS2R. 

tegiwa have done some good track tyre comparison videos on youtube.

I would add more camber and a set of semi slicks. Tyres alone are not going to solve the problem. I have the Powerflex bushes on my Cayman and have the geo set at -2 degrees all round. It's fine on the road and excellent on track. If you are really pushing though, you will still wear the outer shoulder - it's just the reality of running "normal" amounts of camber on a macpherson strut car. 

AR1s, Yoko AO52 (I think) or Dunlop Direzzas are the best semi-slick tyres in my opinion. R888s are okay but take a long time to warm up (personally I wouldn't bother with R888s unless they were a control tyre and I had to use them). The NS2R is more road orientated and probably a better compromise if you need to drive to and from the track (I have used R888s and AR1s in the wet on my race car and they were fine if a) there wasn't standing water and b) you could get them hot but when cold and through puddles, they were useless).

If you really want to have fun though, try a set of slicks. They are the tyre equivalent of crack cocaine!