Front Brake Pads

Purdie

My 987.2 was in for 12 year big service at Dove Motors today. Great service from them BTW but they flagged up front pads 80% worn. Still plenty left on them I'm sure but was planning to change them myself before planned French road trip next year. Did them on an old 986 years ago and seem to remember it was a doddle of a job.

Any recommendations for front pad supplier? Don't do any track stuff these days so just bog standard road quality will be fine. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am sure there will be plenty of opinions on pads and disks.  Me.  Genuine Porsche for both or pagid disks / textar pads after working out the price difference.  See what it comes out as.  

I would also suggest the ancillaries.  Wear sensors if you are heavy handed removing the old ones otherwise re use. 

but.  The “repair kit” - pins, spring, r clip replacement is not a bad idea (if the existing ones have been in there a while) and definitely the little screws to hold the disks on.  The shims that stick to the pads and locate in the pistons are a lot of money for what they are but are part of the setup and should be replaced ( or reused with an appropriate double sided tape )

calliper bolts.  Porsche recommend changing them.  I did when I changed my rears.  Not sure I really understand if it’s necessary but they didn’t add massively to the cost and it’s nice to have new things.  

suggest getting the wheels off a week before you need to do the job.  Make sure you have the right tools for the calliper bolts. (Some are Allan head some are torx) and give everything you are going to undo a little spray with penetrating oil and perhaps see if you can get them all to move.  Makes the actually job much easier if you have had a chance to give everything a little spray and have “cracked” the threads.  

I haven't experienced a set of discs last longer than the pads in the last 25 years. (and that includes OEM) If the discs don't deteriorate/rust at the back they wear to below minimum thickness due to the aggressive pad material used these days.

Personally, I fitted the cheapest coated discs I could source (my opinion discs is discs) with Textar pads. They feel and perform a whole lot better than the rusty Brembo kit they replaced and At £100 an axle for discs and pads, could replace them twice over and some for the price of Brembo. 

Autodoc seems to beat anyone else hands down on price unless you want to track down and risk NOS from Ebay.

• Like 1

Looks like the Genuine Porsche Textar for a 987.2S are T4997 compound and the OEM Textar are T4045

Now whether anyone short of Max V could actually tell the difference is unlikely!

Cost is massive difference though over £200 and £70