Bodywork rust

zcacogp

Guys,

While washing my 987.1 Cayman the other day I noticed these on the N/S rear arch.

AIL4fc_LJX9pZWGLfWEBkU5zMOnw5vYS20EWOFx4

AIL4fc8qhSRSFUB6ujRNWmp8rtkghnnhzxpTKs48

Apologies for the lousy photos but they show three small paint blisters on the arch of the car. Which is annoying as the car is well looked after and garaged (although it has probably lived outside with previous owners.)

In short, what would you do? The car is not likely to be sold in the near future so I'd like a job that will last. I've not dug into it in detail but I don't think that the rear arches are lined in this place, but are double-skinned. This therefore means that cutting out the rusty metal and welding some more in will be tricker, I am guessing.

If anyone has some words of advice I'd love to hear them. Oh, and if anyone can recommend someone to do the job near Gloucester then I'd welcome any recommendations.

Thanks.

I have some similar bubbles below the driver's side engine bay vent on my 986 and it is the metal rusting from the inside.  I took it to a body shop about 3½ years ago.  They guy there has repaired/restored a lot of Porsches and other decent stuff.  He said if you can live with the look paste the inside of the panel where the rust is with something like CV grease.  This blocks out the air and water to stop it deteriorating whilst you work out what to do.  I'm still working out what to do but there has been zero deterioration.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I have some similar bubbles below the driver's side engine bay vent on my 986 and it is the metal rusting from the inside.  I took it to a body shop about 3½ years ago.  They guy there has repaired/restored a lot of Porsches and other decent stuff.  He said if you can live with the look paste the inside of the panel where the rust is with something like CV grease.  This blocks out the air and water to stop it deteriorating whilst you work out what to do.  I'm still working out what to do but there has been zero deterioration.

@Mattman42 gotta be £400 considering the above? #Oldoutyaaaaand

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

its a Cayman though - so at least £100 less  😛

I think he meant for my rust bucket, not the OP's.

@Bike Loon if you keep knocking it down and promoting yours, this deal is never going to work. 💰

• Haha 1

Chaps,

Thanks for the answers. I guess I need to find a friendly bodyshop who can do good work but not charge the earth for it.

Funds aren't that flush at the moment so I'll probably clean it all out behind the affected area as much as possible and coat it with some Bilt Hamber, and think about finding someone to fix it properly next spring. Bodywork is something that I always think shouldn't be that difficult but have never had a go at it.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

Mud and cr*p accumulates in this area -it’s surprising how much shyatee gets up there if you rub your hands around the inside of the rear arch lip(wear gloves when you do this!!)

for anyone that hasn’t had their rear arch liners out, whip them off and see how much crud gets in there-quick clean out and some bilt-hamber or waxoyl  -job done