Pcm4 query

daz05

I'm just popping in since some of my 981 has some of the 718 goodies, would you guys be so kind to clarify a couple of points for me?

Does anyone have the speed limit display from the PCM4 GPS system showing in the cluster..I'm asking those specifically without the recognition camera, I realise with that option you will have them display.

Also, does anyone receive traffic alerts in the OEM Porsche nav without an active Porsche subscription, maybe it's a local issue but I get none whereas they used to work on the old pcm3.

Thanks

6 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Mine has the camera and has the speed limit display on the PCM unit while using nav but it’s not in the cluster. I use google maps as that’s much better than the built in nav. 

Hmm that's odd that's what mine does without the camera. 

Yes I do the same and use Waze or Google.

On 9/25/2023 at 2:00 PM, bandit_287 said:

Mine has the camera and has the speed limit display on the PCM unit while using nav but it’s not in the cluster. I use google maps as that’s much better than the built in nav. 

Are you on iPhone or using a Carlinkit for Google maps?

I am on Android and use the Carlinkit to give me Android Auto. But this wouldn't allow me to use the embedded sim for the data. So I have gought a cheap iPhone SE to run Car Play. This works and runs off the embedded sim😃

However it won't now let me run my Android phone for calls its showing phone 1 and phone 2 as IPhone on the PCM. As I have no phone sim in the iPhone I have to disconnect the USB therefore the iPhone before the PCM will recognise my Android phone on the PCM to allow me to receive calls hands free😡

I had hoped this would be an easy solution, but does not seem so.

B****r Porsche for not installing AA on a 2023 car🤬

11 hours ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Are you on iPhone or using a Carlinkit for Google maps?

I am on Android and use the Carlinkit to give me Android Auto. But this wouldn't allow me to use the embedded sim for the data. So I have gought a cheap iPhone SE to run Car Play. This works and runs off the embedded sim😃

However it won't now let me run my Android phone for calls its showing phone 1 and phone 2 as IPhone on the PCM. As I have no phone sim in the iPhone I have to disconnect the USB therefore the iPhone before the PCM will recognise my Android phone on the PCM to allow me to receive calls hands free😡

I had hoped this would be an easy solution, but does not seem so.

B****r Porsche for not installing AA on a 2023 car🤬

Interesting , says it's in all cars produced from 2022 in this https://www.porsche.com/stories/innovation/what-is-android-auto

"However, wireless Android Auto is a new feature available for all Porsche cars produced from 2022 onwards."

Clearly not 718's then.

Have a look at https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/product-page/pcm-4-wireless-carplay-and-android-auto-add-on

Edited by iborguk

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Interesting , says it's in all cars produced from 2022 in this https://www.porsche.com/stories/innovation/what-is-android-auto

"However, wireless Android Auto is a new feature available for all Porsche cars produced from 2022 onwards."

Clearly not 718's then.

Have a look at https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/product-page/pcm-4-wireless-carplay-and-android-auto-add-on

Nope not on the 718🤬

I have the NMAUTOMOTIVE Carlinkit. It works fine, but wont allow use of the embedded sim to run data, it reverts to the phone sim for data. Not a major issue and I will continue to run this in the Macan, but wanted another option for the BGTS rather than swapping between the cars. Just frustrating that a 2023 Porsche doesn't have AA and using if using Car Play through an iPhone then wont allow you to use an Android phone for calls on the PCM as well as an iPhone🙄

Just now, JurassicBGTS said:

Nope not on the 718🤬

I have the NMAUTOMOTIVE Carlinkit. It works fine, but wont allow use of the embedded sim to run data, it reverts to the phone sim for data. Not a major issue and I will continue to run this in the Macan, but wanted another option for the BGTS rather than swapping between the cars. Just frustrating that a 2023 Porsche doesn't have AA and using if using Car Play through an iPhone then wont allow you to use an Android phone for calls on the PCM as well as an iPhone🙄

AA is actually there in the head unit and can be activated unofficially but yeah it's annoying it's not just there as a standard activation option.

I'd buy a 2nd NM Carlinkit personally.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, iborguk said:

AA is actually there in the head unit and can be activated unofficially but yeah it's annoying it's not just there as a standard activation option.

I'd buy a 2nd NM Carlinkit personally.

Bought an iPhone instead😁

So NMAUTOMOTIVE kit will be for sale.

12 hours ago, iborguk said:

I'm still old skhool on mine, I use the physical sim option.

I am a  cheapskate and run a £3.30 a month o2 sim which gives me all my calls but very limited data plus a Three 2 year 32gb data sim for £30.

Found the problem, despite the seller stating the new/sealed demo phone takes an esim, having done loads of research yesterday evening it seems my model is from mainland China....the only place Apple don't have an esim capability in their phones🤬 it's back to the seller for a refund today and off to Argos to buy a full price iPhone 11😢

36 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

I am a  cheapskate and run a £3.30 a month o2 sim which gives me all my calls but very limited data plus a Three 2 year 32gb data sim for £30.

Found the problem, despite the seller stating the new/sealed demo phone takes an esim, having done loads of research yesterday evening it seems my model is from mainland China....the only place Apple don't have an esim capability in their phones🤬 it's back to the seller for a refund today and off to Argos to buy a full price iPhone 11😢

Always worth a quick look:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/iphone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Another Argos option (might be delivery only depending on stock)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2722850

• Like 1

Managed to get another iPhone11.

All working fine but need to get used to the phone, jury is out whether it's better or worse than my Android, but I gave managed to get it to synchronise with all my old Android apps.

On Car Play can I have both Google Maps running as I like this for nav, along with either Waze or TomTom Amigo for cameras, hazards etc? Google maps doesn't seem to have speed cameras on it.

2 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Managed to get another iPhone11.

All working fine but need to get used to the phone, jury is out whether it's better or worse than my Android, but I gave managed to get it to synchronise with all my old Android apps.

On Car Play can I have both Google Maps running as I like this for nav, along with either Waze or TomTom Amigo for cameras, hazards etc? Google maps doesn't seem to have speed cameras on it.

My experience.

Waze is the best for alerts and traffic but occasionally wants to send down single track roads which will cost me 10k in bodywork.

Amigo wants to drain my phone battery and overheat it on occassion

Google maps is the best router without killing the phone but yes has no safety camera alerts.

So on balance I use Waze and override it's thinking when I need to.

50 minutes ago, iborguk said:

My experience.

Waze is the best for alerts and traffic but occasionally wants to send down single track roads which will cost me 10k in bodywork.

Amigo wants to drain my phone battery and overheat it on occassion

Google maps is the best router without killing the phone but yes has no safety camera alerts.

So on balance I use Waze and override it's thinking when I need to.

I thought I had read you could gave both Google Maps running the nav and Waze just turned on for the cameras, but maybe mistaken. Guess I can gave the Porsche nav running and Waze just on Car Play?

Just now, JurassicBGTS said:

I thought I had read you could gave both Google Maps running the nav and Waze just turned on for the cameras, but maybe mistaken. Guess I can gave the Porsche nav running and Waze just on Car Play?

Not tried that. There are also dedicated Safety camera apps like Cyclops in the App Store, so you could run Google maps on CarPlay and that on the phone.

On balance I find Waze does what I need.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Not tried that. There are also dedicated Safety camera apps like Cyclops in the App Store, so you could run Google maps on CarPlay and that on the phone.

On balance I find Waze does what I need.

The only thing I don't like about with Waze, it only alerts when you are above the speed limit. Gives me a bit of anxiety....is it actually working or not🤔

5 hours ago, Patt said:

I thought it showed current speed and only goes red once over speed ?

Although that may be the TomTom app as I use both depending on how well I know where I 'm going

Yes that's  Waze, whereas TomTom alerts at any speed.