Pcm4 query

daz05

5 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I use paid for  tomtom Go app on the iPhone  via car play.

I'm very happy with the routing, traffic notifications and speed limit information and speed camera alerts 

Maybe I'll give that a go go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JurassicBGTS said:

I thought I had read you could gave both Google Maps running the nav and Waze just turned on for the cameras, but maybe mistaken. Guess I can gave the Porsche nav running and Waze just on Car Play?

That’s my standard usage.  Waze in the background for “things”. Google maps for routing. Typically no issue although a couple of times recently Google told me roads were closed when they weren’t (planned closure but I am 30 mins ahead of that time) 

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

That’s my standard usage.  Waze in the background for “things”. Google maps for routing. Typically no issue although a couple of times recently Google told me roads were closed when they weren’t (planned closure but I am 30 mins ahead of that time) 

Thanks Paul, how do you run the 2 systems together, do you just click on each?

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Maybe I'll give that a go go.

I also have tomtom go.  Generally pretty good although odd routing at times.   I like the offline maps but sometimes it struggles to find things as accurately as Google.  

another tool in the arsenal for the money it costs worth having.  

• Like 2

Just now, JurassicBGTS said:

Thanks Paul, how do you run the 2 systems together, do you just click on each?

Yup.  I load Google maps and find and set the route and then load Waze and switch back to Google maps.  The voice and the speed limit beeps form Waze “push through” and when in car play the Waze warnings appear as banners. 

only downside I have found is sometimes on a longer journey Waze gets bored and shuts down.  I think there may be a setting I have tweaked to stop that - not noticed it on the last few long runs.  

19 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I use paid for  tomtom Go app on the iPhone  via car play.

I'm very happy with the routing, traffic notifications and speed limit information and speed camera alerts 

Is there much difference between the paid app and the free app Tom Tom Amigo?

43 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Is there much difference between the paid app and the free app Tom Tom Amigo?

Ha!! I thought you were calling me "Amigo!" 😂 

I have never heard of tomtom Amigo!!! So can't comment but Google the difference and the first hit suggested Amigo is not compatible with Carplay!! 😱 

I have found the Paid tomtom go routing pretty good in areas I know. It takes me the way I would normally go, so if it routes me an odd way, I tend to trust it and it has proved pretty reliable.

I use it in France too, and it is pretty good too. And shows accident hotspots that have cameras😉

I used to use copilot, but moved away from it because the lack of carplay support.

I have Google maps and apple maps as a  backup 

Edited by moonshine

Recent amigo versions are CarPlay enabled.  But tomtom is quite cheap and I don’t see amigo as any bette than wage for example.  

I was a die hard tomtom user until it failed me on a road closure on the a1 routed me all around the place only to try and get me to rejoin about 100yds the wrong side of the closure.   Can’t win ‘em all but google maps won that night so that’s what I tend to use now.  

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Ha!! I thought you were calling me "Amigo!" 😂 

I have never heard of tomtom Amigo!!! So can't comment but Google the difference and the first hit suggested Amigo is not compatible with Carplay!! 😱 

I have found the Paid tomtom go routing pretty good in areas I know. It takes me the way I would normally go, so if it routes me an odd way, I tend to trust it and it has proved pretty reliable.

I use it in France too, and it is pretty good too. And shows accident hotspots that have cameras😉

I used to use copilot, but moved away from it because the lack of carplay support.

I have Google maps and apple maps as a  backup 

😂😂😂😂Tom Tom Amigo does work on Car Play.

The Tom Tom app isn't expensive, but does it do anything different to the free Tom Tom Amigo app, is the question🤔

think TomTom was £14 for the year and includes Western Europe. It will flatten your phone in less than 2 hours  - I always have in cradle when using.

I only use Waze for roads I know, but don't know where the speed cameras are.

I didn't like the loss of screen when Waze paired with Carplay - ie phone ended up with only the route as street names and the map was on the console.

14 hours ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Yes that's  Waze, whereas TomTom alerts at any speed.

I dont' have alerts set - except for speed cameras on anything.

Tried setting it once for 80, then 90 then switched all off as it annoyed me too much.

12 hours ago, Patt said:

I dont' have alerts set - except for speed cameras on anything.

Tried setting it once for 80, then 90 then switched all off as it annoyed me too much.

Agree, when I said alerts I was meaning speed cameras, which Tom Tom have but Waze only has when exceeding the limit. I then always wonder if it's working 🤔

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2023 at 9:29 PM, JurassicBGTS said:

😂😂😂😂Tom Tom Amigo does work on Car Play.

The Tom Tom app isn't expensive, but does it do anything different to the free Tom Tom Amigo app, is the question🤔

Doesn’t do offline maps.  It’s all online and I find it murders battery on the phone much more than Waze or Google maps.  So much so that the limited amp charging from the 987.2 universal media interface (0.5a) struggles to keep up with the drain on the device.  

not an issue with newer kit - anything with CarPlay will have higher charging availability.