Rattle on cold start.

Vince Taylor

Hi all, 

I have a rattle sound on cold start from drivers side. 
it go’s away when Upto temperature, car drives absolutely fine. 
I’ve done a fair bit of research, and the majority are saying it’s normal. 
2010, 987.2 , 2.9, 43k miles. 
Any thoughts please Gents ? 

...completely normal on startup from cold sir.... with the position of the engine right behind you you're going to hear every single sound that front engined cars under the insulated bonnet don't let you hear.

Warm her up, drive and enjoy..... the rattle will disappear after 20-30 seconds as soon as revs drop to 800rpm or so.

I'm guessing she doesn't rattle on warm startup..?

Si......approaching 160k miles on my 2.9.

Hi @Vince Taylor, where in Northants.  I can lend you my ears if you wish.

By the way have you seen the meet at Gaydon Museum coming up on 8 October?  Take a look in the Meets and Trackdays section for info.  A good chance to come and meet a few of us in person.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Hi @Vince Taylor, where in Northants.  I can lend you my ears if you wish.

By the way have you seen the meet at Gaydon Museum coming up on 8 October?  Take a look in the Meets and Trackdays section for info.  A good chance to come and meet a few of us in person.

Hi, 

I’m in Grange Park Northampton, close to Jun 15 M1, but depending where you are located happy to meet up ? 
thanks 

Vince. 

Some of the things we have all learned at some stage.  

they make unusual noises and you sit with your head inches from the engine so the noises are intrusive.  

they smell funny - hot rubber smell just after a belt change especially.
they smell and feel hot. Especially when you get out.  The engine vent is on the drivers side as you get out the car you often think “oh that’s a bit warm”

the rear boot heats up a bit. Don’t carry ice cream in it - but takeaways are well served.  

they can make really weird clunks and judder when on full lock. Especially when reversing. More so when it’s cold , some brand of tyres do it more than others. It’s called the Ackerman effect.  

brakes require a harder press than is usual these days.  They work fine just less servo help.  

if you run them very low on fuel then it takes a good (more than halfway) fill up to wake the gauge up again.  

all the above cause the paranoia to kick in but you get used to what’s normal and then real issues become easier to spot. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Paul P said:

they make unusual noises and you sit with your head inches from the engine so the noises are intrusive.  

they smell and feel hot. Especially when you get out.  The engine vent is on the drivers side as you get out the car you often think “oh that’s a bit warm”

the rear boot heats up a bit. Don’t carry ice cream in it - but takeaways are well served.  

they can make really weird clunks and judder when on full lock. Especially when reversing. More so when it’s cold , some brand of tyres do it more than others. It’s called the Ackerman effect.  

brakes require a harder press than is usual these days.  They work fine just less servo help.  

if you run them very low on fuel then it takes a good (more than halfway) fill up to wake the gauge up again.  

all the above cause the paranoia to kick in but you get used to what’s normal and then real issues become easier to spot. 

Unique, is how I’ll describe it from now on 👍

37 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Also it may be a case of going from a 5/40 oil to 10/40 , which most higher mileage cars tend to run on

....at 158000 miles I still run mine on Mobil 1 5w30 Bally,  spoke to Porsche Wolverhampton who advised not to change when I bought her 3 years ago on 142000 miles. Possibly due to the 2.9 having better internals ?? Doesn't use any nor burn any. 

10 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

....at 158000 miles I still run mine on Mobil 1 5w30 Bally,  spoke to Porsche Wolverhampton who advised not to change when I bought her 3 years ago on 142000 miles. Possibly due to the 2.9 having better internals ?? Doesn't use any nor burn any. 

Take the advice when it’s offered I guess, maybe an engine flush would be beneficial then?

6 hours ago, Paul P said:

We should get this on a tee shirt...!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul P said:

Need to add that to the common 'faults/quirks' section! very good! :) 

Should also add the 'sticky lifters' to the list. ;) 

• Like 1