Grey carpet material wanted

Daboy3000

I have hit a dead end and just can't find some matching carpet material.  I am looking to cover a printed centre console delete so it can't be too thick.  I have ordered samples from automotive carpet companies but their greys seem to use a blend of dark and light fibres to achieve the greys but none come close to matching.

Has anyone got any ideas or sources?

Take a run into your local Carpet Warehouse and take a look through their carpet swatches.

I know for a fact they usually have an obsolete book or two kicking around.

Cross their palm with silver and Robert is your father's brother.

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I have hit a dead end and just can't find some matching carpet material.  I am looking to cover a printed centre console delete so it can't be too thick.  I have ordered samples from automotive carpet companies but their greys seem to use a blend of dark and light fibres to achieve the greys but none come close to matching.

Has anyone got any ideas or sources?

Get a lighter carpet and use a misting of black paint to get the colour right.

It will be a few weeks, but I will have two grey door cards with carpet bottom halves and no speaker holes after doing my upgrade to door speakers.  Might give you enough material. Send me the size you need and I'll see if they could work for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Would you be able to cut it out of a piece that got across the rear bulkhead? It’s a big piece, don’t know if it’s the same style. 

That would be an excellent source material if you can get one from a breaker.  If not listed, drop a note to Steve Strange on eBay at Douglas Valley Breakers.

21 hours ago, EXY said:

Take a run into your local Carpet Warehouse and take a look through their carpet swatches.

I know for a fact they usually have an obsolete book or two kicking around.

Cross their palm with silver and Robert is your father's brother.

Great idea but household floor carpet will be too think I think.

19 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Buy something like a used boot or frunk carpet and cut to suit?

Wrong fabric and colour. Boot carpet is rough and very dark grey.

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It will be a few weeks, but I will have two grey door cards with carpet bottom halves and no speaker holes after doing my upgrade to door speakers.  Might give you enough material. Send me the size you need and I'll see if they could work for you.

I have tried removing carpet from an old door card before, it tends to fall apart trying to seperate it as the glue is very old and strong.  Not hundred percent sure on size as I would like to source some carpet before committing to buying the delete kit.

18 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Would you be able to cut it out of a piece that got across the rear bulkhead? It’s a big piece, don’t know if it’s the same style. 

Too thick

16 hours ago, MickH said:

Ordered these exact samples, miles from the original in every way.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've run across a guy on Facebook that 3D prints his own centre console delete kit. He's a bit pricey if I remember but if it's decently printed and matches the rest of the plastics (grey or black etc) then that may look just as good as a delete kit with a matched colour of carpet. I'll see if I can spot him in my feed and will let you know.

Thats someone else not me. He is doing the same print but at a much higher resolution than me and with a few modifications - so they look nice bare. Mine are lower resolution and half the price, but need to be covered in carpet unless you like the 3d-printed look.

9LXPmPN.jpg