Minor questions - windstop and boot lid

Chaz

I’ve been enjoying the new (to me) red Boxster 987.2, which my wife persuaded me to buy (honest) a few months ago.  Haven’t had time to tinker or post questions, but there are a couple of things I wanted to check with the board.  

1.  I’ve noticed that the wind stop rattles a bit at the top edge of the Perspex, at some speeds.   This didn’t happen on the old 986s (both of them).  The car doesn’t have the mesh insert for the roll hoops and I don’t know if that is contributing to the air flow and causing the rattle?   Obviously hard to turn head and look at what’s going on when driving fast enough to cause the noise, but it sounds like the top edge of the deflector is vibrating rapidly - like the end of a plastic ruler held of the edge of a desk and flicked.  

2.  When I open the boot lid, it spring up as you’d expect but the gap is really small.   I can only just get a finger tip in, mostly, and it can actually be hard to lift the lid because you don’t get enough purchase.  Is there a spring that may have gotten less springy with age?  

I also need some advice about winter wheels and tyres but will post that in the appropriate forum.

thanks

Chaz

Hi Chaz, have you removed the wind deflector and checked all the edges..? Mine doesn't rattle at all but i do have the mesh inserts so it may be that. I've read that folk over the years have " packed " the slight gaps with electrical tape in strips to get a better fit..?

Probably of no help at all and assume you've removed it and replaced it to hear the clicks ..?

Regards the bootlid.... there are rubber adjustable buffers that screw and unscrew to adjust the height.... does it sit flush when closed..?

May be worth looking at, same on the " frunk ".

Si.

I think I'm right in saying the clip design is the same as the 986, check that the return section of plastic, which acts as a spring to locate the panel and applies some pressure, isn't broken off.  My clips both looked fine on a quick inspection, but the right hand one had actually broken and was rattling.

rRHa7C9.jpg 

Hi all,

Thanks for the excellent advice.  What with work and building works, I've done no more with the car than drive it and wash it.  What more can be needed, you ask?  Well, taking a look at the deflector clips is on the top of my to do list now.  I foolishly assumed they were OK and it was a thinner perspex or different profile that was the issue.  Let me check the basics first.

Boot lid sits flush when closed and locks and unlocks with satisfyingly clear sound.  I'll check the rubber stops to see what you mean about them screwing in and out.  

Thanks

Chaz

6 hours ago, Chaz said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the excellent advice.  What with work and building works, I've done no more with the car than drive it and wash it.  What more can be needed, you ask?  Well, taking a look at the deflector clips is on the top of my to do list now.  I foolishly assumed they were OK and it was a thinner perspex or different profile that was the issue.  Let me check the basics first.

Boot lid sits flush when closed and locks and unlocks with satisfyingly clear sound.  I'll check the rubber stops to see what you mean about them screwing in and out.  

Thanks

Chaz

My rear boot lid doesn’t pop up very far either on unlock - usually stick my finger in the corner where there’s a slightly bigger gap and lift from there - at least it’s not heavy.

leaving finger prints behind on the black paint when you close it is frustrating though :(

• Like 1

Agree with the finger in the corner trick.  The fact that the boot lid is aluminium was borne in when I drove to Belgium the first weekend after getting the car, only to realise in the tunnel that my magnetic UK sign wouldn't stay on!

Chaz

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoster987 said:

Just joined as I have been on planet9 for the most part.  I was able to "fix" the rattle by "refreshing" the rubber piece.  I posted on planet9 and you can see the details here

Was rather a painless, 10 min exercise...

Planet9 tends to be more US based but still a friendly enough bunch. Been on many car forums over the years and BoXa is certainly the best and the most informative.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, skoosh1970 said:

Planet9 tends to be more US based but still a friendly enough bunch. Been on many car forums over the years and BoXa is certainly the best and the most informative.

Thanks and looking forward to the feedback / advice here as well.  And Yes, US-based / centric, VERY friendly and some of the active members on Planet 9 is not too far from me.  In fact, when I got my 987 recently, one member asked me to come over to his house to run through some diagnostics with his tools / scanner 🙂 (which I did).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoster987 said:

Thanks and looking forward to the feedback / advice here as well.  And Yes, US-based / centric, VERY friendly and some of the active members on Planet 9 is not too far from me.  In fact, when I got my 987 recently, one member asked me to come over to his house to run through some diagnostics with his tools / scanner 🙂 (which I did).

Welcome to BoXa.  UK biased by accident not design and as others have said, One of the best forums (for any subject) out there.  I have spent some time on planet9.  Agree it’s a great place. Hope you get something from being on here as well.  

18 hours ago, Hoster987 said:

Hi and welcome.  as @Paul P says, BoXa is UK orientated but there are regular posters from US and New Zealand and Australia as well as main land Europe.  Add your location to your profile to help you get more relevant recommendations, i.e. no point in recommending a good mechanic in London to you...

Hi, back from my operation and still havn't applied the knowledge gained from the helpful posts above.

I completely endorse the views here, btw, on the friendliness, quality and UK-focus of this forum.  Great place to be.

Cheers

Chaz

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 4:11 AM, ½cwt said:

Hi and welcome.  as @Paul P says, BoXa is UK orientated but there are regular posters from US and New Zealand and Australia as well as main land Europe.  Add your location to your profile to help you get more relevant recommendations, i.e. no point in recommending a good mechanic in London to you...

Thanks for the feedback, and updated to location.  Looking forward to getting great advice form here, and the Spurs winning EPL this season although it was a heart-breaking loss at the RWC....congrats to Kiwis for making the finals as I have been a long-time fan of Jonah Lomu (RIP).

• Like 1