986. Gearbox oil? Recommendations please.

phazed

I’m in the process of ordering some bits and pieces.
Oils! It seems to be a minefield out there. Any recommendations for make, grade and capacity please?

If it's manual...

75W-90 GL-5, PCG04321052,  1 litre container

Link below for info, try your OPC and ask for discount. 

https://www.design911.co.uk/p/porsche-classic-manual-transmission-oil-75w-90-gl-5--1-litre/

Required amounts for 5 and 6 speed transmission in the link here https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid.htm

This is a problem when people think a higher spec product is an 'upgrade'. Just like any upgrades it's about matching the spec to the use and application. 

I think the OPIE oils tech recommendation above was that they were the recommended alternatives to the Porsche badged bottle for same use case and as good or better than manufacturer spec.

I am using Motul in my 986 6 speed transmission since 2021 with approx 25k kms covered since and have noticed a significant improvement in shift quality since.

Most those miles are on road with a couple of track days 🙌 

Edited by 02boxster968

When you change the gear oil a bit like tyres it's never quite an apples to apples comparison. If you e just changed the gear oil then you'd expect new oil to be better than 20+ year-old oil with 10s or 100s of thousand miles on it. 

13 hours ago, edc said:

When you change the gear oil a bit like tyres it's never quite an apples to apples comparison. If you e just changed the gear oil then you'd expect new oil to be better than 20+ year-old oil with 10s or 100s of thousand miles on it. 

^^ +1

My 6 speed was better when the original oil was drained at 18 years and 92k miles and replaced with Millers by my then indy.  2nd was still a bit baulky (and always will be when cold) but the old oil wasn't shot by any means but oil does deteriorate with both time and use.  Any reputable brand 75W-90 GL-5 oil will do the job more than adequately, just as say a Khumo tyre will vs a Michelin PS5 Cup tyre.  A case of how much extra you want to pay for teh last 2%, but bear in mind it is a fill for another 10+years, not a change every 3 years type of decision.

2 hours ago, edc said:

In car enthusiast land in places like HK they change their gearbox oil annually. 

Might set up a business selling gearbox oil there then...