Looking for, “sport suspension “.

phazed

Preparing my 3.2 as predominantly a track day car. It still has fitted the original suspension.

Any recommendations for something reasonably priced, firmer springed and with stiffer damping?

Budget will be you main lead here.  Coil overs with higher rate springs and adjustable dampers would be the best match of a track car.  As for what spring rates and dampers, may be talk to some guys who race Boxsters.  I was at the 750 Motor Club 6 hour relay at Silverstone back in October and there were around 8 Boxsters (all 986s) on track in varying degrees of extremity.  Some looking pretty stock, others rather more bespoke.

Hi Peter, not sure how quick you want this all ready to go (has the Skoda sold?) but it might be worth getting along to the Boxster 986 one make race series and speaking with them. There are lots of levels of teams with dedicated crew through to enthusiasts. All seemed very helpful when I was looking at the different wheel options at Brand Hatch in September

Hi Graham. Skoda is now sold. Not looking for anything super expensive or three-way. Adjustable capable. Just something firmer with stiffer damping.

By comparison I had a set of £600 coil overs on the Skoda which transformed it. I agree it wasn’t the best for the road, but actually wasn’t too bad. On track, it was firm and very much roll controlled.

What we mustn’t lose sight of is that race tracks have a far better surface, than our roads. This car is just going to be used for the enjoyment of Track Days and therefore a little help in the suspension department is all I am looking for.

speaking to amateur racers, sounds like a good idea. Any idea when such racing will return to brands Hatch?

Well done on selling the Skoda. Looked good last time I saw it so not surprised it has gone. Why not give Gaz a call? I will be amazed if they don’t have something to suit. 
Haven’t a clue about the details for next year but a good steer above. I will have a nosey for you on faceache for you as well and let you know if I find anything

3 hours ago, map said:

Have a feeling that they produced a 986 specific set some years ago. 

They are a good business. I am close enough to collect from the factory and, at least 5 or 6 years ago, they will give you a tour of the whole process and it's lovely to see. Not sure I would have Derek fit them for me again but that's a TVR thing.

I have koni sports on my 987 with H&R springs 40mm drop. And its amazing on B roads. Not had it on the track yet. Hopefully next year

Think they have 12 clicks of adjustment off the top of my head. 

Ive also replaced the toe arms with adjustables which has kept everything aligned.  

1 hour ago, MickH said:

I have koni sports on my 987 with H&R springs 40mm drop. And its amazing on B roads. Not had it on the track yet. Hopefully next year

Think they have 12 clicks of adjustment off the top of my head. 

Ive also replaced the toe arms with adjustables which has kept everything aligned.  

That's a good point @phazed if you go lower by much more than the factory 10mm you will need adjustable arms to get the rear toe/camber to good settings.

1 minute ago, edc said:

The Boxster race series used Gaz Gold for some time. These are value rather than high end but still rebuildable. 

These were always low – mid range in the TVR world.

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

I sent a message to someone on Facebook who competes and he suggested a Tractive set-up for the car. I suspect this is not a budget option! 

I know of the guy that runs the UK side. The suspension will be more than the car in this case. 

Edited by edc
  • Like 1

Have noticed that there is a set of Koni Special Active Dampers available at Design 911 for £744 delivered. Obviously I would have to buy a good quality set of springs to match. Was thinking that a set of Eibach uprated springs would be a good match.

Anyone had any experience of these? 

• Sad 1

I run Koni Special Active dampers with standard springs and I find tehm to be fine.  (Not having the budget to back to back test with Bilstein B4 I can't add more than that..)  I know you can get H&R M030 equivalent -10mm springs from @T911UK if he has stock but they are not up rated, only the standard M030 spring rate.  That £744 is cheap based on recent pricing I've seen.  If that's what you want, get them bought before they are gone.

After doing some research and watching some comparison vids on YouTube, looks like the best bet would be a set of Billy B8’s with a set of H&R 30mm lowering springs.

4 hours ago, phazed said:

Have noticed that there is a set of Koni Special Active Dampers available at Design 911 for £744 delivered. Obviously I would have to buy a good quality set of springs to match. Was thinking that a set of Eibach uprated springs would be a good match.

Anyone had any experience of these? 

That changed quick , now over £900 

9 hours ago, phazed said:

Did you notice an improvement from your original setup?

Before I had a broken left front spring, a weeping right rear damper which along with the other three were 20 years old and lots of noisy rattly creaky joints.  After is was firm but not too firm with good control over high frequency bumps and crests and a silent ride.  Over rough road surfaces it seems better the quicker you go!  There are several on here who have either standards or M030 springs on these Konis and seem to rate them very well.  Never had the Boxster on a track though but by all accounts even without mods they are pretty darn good..