Dipped bean gone on left and right

fewtrees

Has anyone had the same?

Started the engine and turned the lights on. Dipped beam came on for about 1/5 second then gone. Warnings on the dash say check both left and right dipped beam. I’ve never had both lights go at the same time and seems a bit suspect to me… painful that there aren’t separate fuses for the headlights either and I wonder if an ecu has gone pop!

Yet to check the fillaments as it’s freezing outside…

Noting his My Ride is a 987.2, not normally known for headlight switch failures - as opposed to the 986, famous for them. I think the switch was redesigned.

I agree that both out at the same time suggests not bulbs blowing.

Do sidelights work? Main beam? Flash?

Edited by Menoporsche

I took the headlights out both sides. I would suggest if anyone does this to get a non metal brush and brush the slides for any muck before putting them back. My lights were very difficult to come out as there’s fine dirt in the slides..

Inspected the bulbs and both fillaments blown but these are quite recent Phillips bulbs.

@Menoporsche Everything else worked fine ie Main/side lights..

32 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Beans obviously don't like being dipped. Never tried it myself.

Sounds like they’ve been baked

We had a mk1 qashqai that would blow both headlight bulbs on the first frosty week of the year…every year, within a few days of each other. The auto headlamps would flick on and off rapidly when starting the car and that seemed to be too much shock for the filaments. Replace the bulbs and they would survive until the next year. 
I wonder if a similar thermal shock situation could have happened to you now that the cold weather is here?

Had this happen to me on a Golf GTI a few years back. Standard filament bulbs, turned the lights on when I was on the motorway the dipped side never came on. 100 miles from home so had to turn the head light adjusters down and finish the journey on main beam lights. Both bulbs had blown, replaced them and never had another problem with them again. No idea as to why they went together!

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Had this happen to me on a Golf GTI a few years back. Standard filament bulbs, turned the lights on when I was on the motorway the dipped side never came on. 100 miles from home so had to turn the head light adjusters down and finish the journey on main beam lights. Both bulbs had blown, replaced them and never had another problem with them again. No idea as to why they went together!

I wonder if this is a slight fault in the relay in the circuit. One bulb fails, the relay then routes a current surge to the other bulb and it blows too.

• Thanks 1