Anyone else seen this regarding ULEZ?

Everywhen

Was idly browsing online today and cane across a Daily Mail Online article regarding one of their journalists who recently bought a 2002 986 2.7 and was getting charged for ULEZ in London. I’d paste a link here but can’t find there article now.

Among the typical DM waffle there is this:

In my case it is to ask Porsche UK to contact the head office in Stuttgart to find the EWG-Übereinstimmungsbescheinigung fultig für vollständige Fahrzeuge for my car. 

“This is the car's Certificate of Conformity which shows which agreed set of standards it reaches. 

On page three of the document, Porsche have listed the emissions data, including the crucial NOx reading. 

This is just below the section marked 'Höchstgeschwindigkeit'. For those that are interested, it's 250km/h.”  

When this was submitted to theULEZ scheme he no longer has tot pay the charge.

Any vehicle you can prove is at or lower than the EURO 4 (petrol) NOx emission as its factory spec can file as a compliant vehicle (Exemption is a different term and applies to old vehicles). This can be done as in my 'How To' , thanks @iborgukby providing TfL (and CAZ unit a DVLA for the other ULEZ schemes) with the V5 and, if the V5 has no emission data on it, the Certificate of Conformity for the specific vehicle, so it must match the chassis number on the V5, from the manufacturer.  Porsche took about 10 days to get the CoC to me.  TfL processed it in 3 days, CAZ took about 10 weeks.  That was 2½ years ago now....

It is crazy really as I can drive my avg 26mpg 2001 986 into central Birmingham CAZ of London ULEZ charge free whereas my wife's avg 50mpg 2015 Golf is EURO 5 diesel so has to pay...  Which one is actually emitting more?

8 hours ago, phazed said:

Strange as my 2002 S conforms.

It does, but back in the late 90s and 00s not all emissions data was put on the form by the registering dealer so the V5 doesn't have the data as it isn't in the DVLA database, so the cars are regarded as non-compliant even though their emission are.  And often, as in the case of the Boxster, they complied before the Euro4 regs came in 2006, (Boxster is technically Euro 3 compliant) but back then no one considered how significant the data would become.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:25 PM, Everywhen said:

Daily Mail Online article

This is the problem - don't ever take anything they say as correct until proven elsewhere. The most amateur, lowest-common-denominator, clickbait trash ever...(assuming you can actually read the article among the ads).

• Haha 1

It’s strange my Boxster 2002 3.2S is ULEZ but my Audi 2.0TDI A4 2010 doesn’t can’t wait to see Khan outed.

1 hour ago, martinjohn308 said:

It’s strange my Boxster 2002 3.2S is ULEZ but my Audi 2.0TDI A4 2010 doesn’t can’t wait to see Khan outed.

Diesels need to be Euro 6, petrol is OK at Euro 4.  All to do with NOx and PM2.5 particulate matter diesels still emit at Euro 5.

3 minutes ago, helm hurst said:

Bristol and Birmingham would charge, other places listed are OK.

English places making the charge all come under one CAZ (Clean Air Zone) scheme (there are actually two bands within the CAZ zones so make sure you check), but if you apply to CAZ and you car complies you get on the compliant list for all 8 (or is it 9 or even 10 now?) of these CAZ places.  I drive the Boxster into central Birmingham to concerts at the Utilita Arena and Symphony Hall 3 or 4 times a year now I've gone through the CAZ process.  Also take it down to Westfield at Stratford (TfL ULEZ) when we go up to London.

I have had no need to look into the Scottish scheme for their CAZ areas yet.