Rear tuning fork fixings

Chris D

I replaced all the rear control arms on my 987.1 boxster today (one side so far). 

The tuning fork fixing at the ball joint end. It took me a while to get it off at first. Was mostly touch as it's proper awkward to get to. Got it off in the end with a 21 mm socket / ratchet on top and a spanner on the bolt. 

Is the top nut captive? Feels it. 

I replaced everything with oem equivalent from spyder performance. Got new bolts (3 pairs). I assumed one of the longer pair is for the tuning fork but it's just a little too small in diameter for the captive nut. For now I've put the bolt up and through but tightened the nut down on top of the captive nut. It's long enough and tight but Im not convinced this is right. 

Should I have simply re-used the old bolt or is what I've done OK?

If you are referring to the bolt fixing adjacent to the jacking point, it is a captive nut. I reused the existing and torqued them to specification.

Looks like they supplied you with the wrong bolt. Do you know what torque settings are?

I think it is about 63 ft. pound from memory, but don’t quote me!

From the 986 Workshop Manual for the tuning fork (diagonal control arm in Porsche speak on the 986, but is called a guide on the 987...) the body end is M14x1.5 x 90mm is 160Nm/117lbft.  Same torque on the coffin arm bolt too. 

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

From the 986 Workshop Manual for the tuning fork (diagonal control arm in Porsche speak on the 986, but is called a guide on the 987...) the body end is M14x1.5 x 90mm is 160Nm/117lbft.  Same torque on the coffin arm bolt too. 

If unsure FT !!

Yeh, next question was gonna be about the torque settings. I found 160nm for the body fixing. I think it's the same on the coffin arm fixing. Everything is FT for now. Alignment needs doing. 

I've got the other side to do yet so I'll go back to this and refit the original bolt. Also, on the fork I've not replaced yet I found the spyder supplied bolt isnt thick enough either. Quite loose in fact. I double checked and it's listed as the tuning fork bolt. 

I'll pop to my opc in the week and get two new bolts. They're showing as £3-4 each +vat on Bell and Colvill so likely similar or less from porsche. I'll get 10% knocked off too. The head on the original is slightly rounded now so for a tenner it's a no brainer 

31 minutes ago, Chris D said:

Yeh, next question was gonna be about the torque settings. I found 160nm for the body fixing. I think it's the same on the coffin arm fixing. Everything is FT for now. Alignment needs doing. 

I've got the other side to do yet so I'll go back to this and refit the original bolt. Also, on the fork I've not replaced yet I found the spyder supplied bolt isnt thick enough either. Quite loose in fact. I double checked and it's listed as the tuning fork bolt. 

I'll pop to my opc in the week and get two new bolts. They're showing as £3-4 each +vat on Bell and Colvill so likely similar or less from porsche. I'll get 10% knocked off too. The head on the original is slightly rounded now so for a tenner it's a no brainer 

I suspect Spyder have sent you an M12 bolt not an M14 bolt.

Coffin arm on the inboard end is 100Nm (remember the eccentric bolt has a slot down it so NOT the normal 120Nm of a M12 bolt, same on the toe link, out board on the ball joints for both coffin arm and toe link is 75Nm.

Popped to my local OPC this morning.

Those M14 bolts are £9 each!

Bell and Colvil. Same bolts. £3.60 + VAT each.

Also, enquired about a handful of replacement undertray screws / nylon nuts. 10 of each. These, plus the bolts came in at £38!

Ordered the botls and screws from B&C. £20 + del. I'll get the M6 nylon nuts from ebay or similar.

Are they Porsche branded bolts from B&C?  If so good value.  The OE bolts are a pretty hard hardened steel (Try cutting one of the seized ones out and you find out) and I imagine are that way for a good reason to take the loadings.  Saving would £9.36 on two critical suspension bolts assuming no additional 10% off from OPC.

As for underbody nylon nuts, eBay all the way...  Change any screws to stainless too whilst you are under there, also cheap on ebay.

Scratch the cheaper bolt option. They get the parts from porsche. So they are the proper bolts. Just their catalogue is obviously out of date. 

At least they let me know. I cancelled the order with B&C and I'm getting them from porsche direct. 

2 hours ago, Chris D said:

Scratch the cheaper bolt option. They get the parts from porsche. So they are the proper bolts. Just their catalogue is obviously out of date. 

At least they let me know. I cancelled the order with B&C and I'm getting them from porsche direct. 

Thought something was up with that price difference...