Water ingress, a warning.

phazed

As some of you may know, I have been bringing an O2 986 back to life. One of the problems it had was an immobiliser problem, (still not solved) due to water ingress. I knew this when I bought the car..

The car had been living outside and allegedly regularly maintained. It has been in my possession now for several months and has been in the garage all that time. For the first couple of weeks, I ran a small dehumidifier in the cabin, which extracted probably in the region of about half a pint of water from the car. Carpets seemed fine and dry which was good. A few months later, I am putting it all back together, all interior back apart from the seats and at this point I thought I would lift the carpets around the immobiliser and shove my hands under and make sure everything was dry. Imagine my surprise when I found that even though the carpets are totally dry on top , the 30 mm or so of foam under the carpets was absolutely saturated! Luckily it is just on the passenger side and I’m in the process of removing this carpet to let it dry out completely out of the car. Cause of the water ingress, no surprise was a huge lump  of what I can only describe as a bit of a mushroom bigger than the size of your hand that had grown from the rear roof well into the drain hole completely blocking it. Probably been like that for years. 

Be aware. Especially if your car has a tendency to steam up inside.

I have just removed about one and a half pints of water from the foam, using an industrial carpet cleaner with a hand tool. I think I will strap the foam side of the carpet to a radiator and leave it for a few days. Rather now than when everything is assembled!

27 minutes ago, phazed said:

You could make a meal out of that!

O5M6lpi.jpg

Or play tennis with it😂

I had the drains block up a few years ago - removed the carpet and foam combo on the 718 and hung it up inside a greenhouse in full sun to dry out. Took about 4 days to fully remove all the water. That foam holds a LOT of water. If anyone gets a leak inside, I would advise removing the carpets to dry properly. On the 981 / 982 the Aussie Jeff Richardson (who many on here will know) has a full set of dismantling videos on his YT channel.