SORN Cover

Just read an interesting thread on another forum about dropping cover while on SORN.

For those that SORN, is this something you do?

I'm just about to wake my 987 next month and I never considered dropping the cover to fire and theft only.
Not that it would have saved much, my policy was only £250 but it might be worth it if doubles after renewal.

I wonder if there are any implications on no claims bonus?

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by eob

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

Bizarrely, i have had quotes for F&T that were larger than fully comp.....

Fairly common apparently due to selection bias, i.e. the group selecting TPF&T have an higher risk profile than the group selecting fully comp. This more than covers the reduced costs of claims to a likely quite cheap car.

Many policies require the car to be insured and taxed.  SORN'd isn't taxed.  They will wriggle out of it!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Many policies require the car to be insured and taxed.  SORN'd isn't taxed.  They will wriggle out of it!!

I thought this which prompted my question.
I see that there is seperate SORN cover available. Comparison sites have a seperate section.

e.g.

https://www.gocompare.com/motoring/sorn-a-vehicle/

I'll need to bear it in mind for this winter.

I can't help thinking it is simpler just to keep it taxed but parked up.  That way should there be a nice sunny winter or spring day you can take it out, plus allows a couple of runs over the winter to keep fluids moving properly and the battery conditioned under load.  Then again mine only costs £325 to tax, under £300 to insure and lives on the drive, so little to save and easy to access but saves any potential for query in the even of a claim.

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I can't help thinking it is simpler just to keep it taxed but parked up.  That way should there be a nice sunny winter or spring day you can take it out, plus allows a couple of runs over the winter to keep fluids moving properly and the battery conditioned under load.  Then again mine only costs £325 to tax, under £300 to insure and lives on the drive, so little to save and easy to access but saves any potential for query in the even of a claim.

Mines falls into the £675 tax bracket so I got £500 refunded when I parked it at the end of October.

The roads up here are sh!tty in the winter so I'm keeping it off the road to preserve it.

I have missed it and can't wait to get it back out, but those sunny winter days have been few and far between.

I used to do this with the Cossie every year, and get a refund on the annual policy whilst it was laid up with the cover reduced to F&T only, which was a blessing when we had a house fire a few years ago.

I haven't found a company since that offers this unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, plynchy said:

I used to do this with the Cossie every year, and get a refund on the annual policy whilst it was laid up with the cover reduced to F&T only, which was a blessing when we had a house fire a few years ago.

I haven't found a company since that offers this unfortunately.

Did you lose the Cossie in the fire? I think I still have a video of it fishtailing around in front of me at Rockingham:D