987 seats in a 986?

phazed

Those two sets of seats above aren’t sports seats

though, just the ordinary standard seats, hence their cheaper price.

The 987 sports seats are very comfortable, hold you in position and definitely sit lower in the car.

I have them in my 987 and they are really good.

29 minutes ago, phazed said:

These are full spec with crests and heating, as well as contrast stitching which were all options.  But generally the sports seats are lots of money.

Just remembered you need the weird sockets for the bolts. Forgot the name but it's like the female version of a torx.

Some people use a standard 6 pointed hex but it can chew up the bolt heads. Especially the one at the centre rear which is the hardest to get to.

I've had to replace some on my car which were chewed up before I got in there.

20221217-121758.jpg

1 hour ago, phazed said:

All I can say is Yikes! I doubt I need a new set of seats that much.

47 minutes ago, phazed said:

The 987 sports seats are very comfortable, hold you in position and definitely sit lower in the car.

I have them in my 987 and they are really good.

I am really looking forward to getting them in. This weekend is a little busy but if I get the 147 bumper replaced early Sunday, I may have time to start on the seats. Unless, of course it rains again.

16 minutes ago, ATM said:

Just remembered you need the weird sockets for the bolts. Forgot the name but it's like the female version of a torx.

Some people use a standard 6 pointed hex but it can chew up the bolt heads. Especially the one at the centre rear which is the hardest to get to.

20221217-121758.jpg

Yes, I have sourced a set at the local ScrewFix. Have to buy and collect still but they aren't expensive. Also, it makes the job so much easier and a lot more fun if you have the right tools for the job.

34 minutes ago, ATM said:

20221217-121758.jpg

E12 Torx iirc

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

E12 Torx iirc

Correct.  If you are lucky, a 12 point 10mm socket will give enough purchase to get them undone.

Just now, ½cwt said:

Correct.  If you are lucky, a 12 point 10mm socket will give enough purchase to get them undone.

Or it's an excuse to buy another set of tools. I got a set of E's from Eurocarparts for about a tenner, plenty of cheap options out there...

14 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Or it's an excuse to buy another set of tools. I got a set of E's from Eurocarparts for about a tenner, plenty of cheap options out there...

Absolutely!  You need an E8 for new coil packs too (assuming you get the up issued Porsche or BERU ones that need the longer bolts) whist you are drawing up a tool list!

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patt said:

need larger for Cayenne brakes, but you never need an excuse to buy more tools.

What, bigger? That set goes up to E24!

Okay, so the plug from the 987 seats looks fairly basic. There is a positive and a negative pin and all you have to do is supply power to these pins (positive to positive and negative to negative) and then the seatback adjustment will apparently work. 

The negative is fairly simple because I presume that will just be a brown earth wire from the 986 plug, and then a red wire from the 986 plug to positive? I suppose I can always just put a wire on the negative pin and connect that to an earth point under the seat, but I would like for it to be a neat and tidy job. So I'll put little spade connectors or whatever on the right gauge and colour wire, heatshrink them nicely and plug it into the 987 seat plug, and on the car side into the old 986 plug. I can cable tie it nicely out of the way under the seat and hopefully never have to touch them again. That way, the plug on the car side stays unmolested and the whole thing can be reversed easily. I'll also keep the original plugs on the 986 seats and see if someone wants to buy them to offset some of my costs. They are in fairly good nick, no rips or anything and being grey are fairly easy to recolour if you so wish.

Done! Took me about an hour and a half all told. Wiring was very straightforward too. I just cut off the plugs from the old seats, put some spade connectors on the cut wires and plugged it straight into the seat. The old seat plugs obviously fit the plugs in the car. Seats fit and look great. Works beautifully too. I am sure it would have been a right old faff if the seats were heated etc but these are the same as what I had ie manual back and forward, and manual up and down. The only electric part is the backrest. 

I don't need heated seats and I'm the only one that drives the car so I don't need seat memory either. If anyone wants the old seats let me know. You will have to come and collect, and I would be very happy if you made a small donation to Scotty's Little Soldiers. I don't want anything else for them. Not even a beer! :)

16 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Done! Took me about an hour and a half all told. Wiring was very straightforward too. I just cut off the plugs from the old seats, put some spade connectors on the cut wires and plugged it straight into the seat. The old seat plugs obviously fit the plugs in the car. Seats fit and look great. Works beautifully too. I am sure it would have been a right old faff if the seats were heated etc but these are the same as what I had ie manual back and forward, and manual up and down. The only electric part is the backrest. 

I don't need heated seats and I'm the only one that drives the car so I don't need seat memory either. If anyone wants the old seats let me know. You will have to come and collect, and I would be very happy if you made a small donation to Scotty's Little Soldiers. I don't want anything else for them. Not even a beer! :)

Pictures of new seats. 😬🤙🏻

2 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Pictures of new seats. 😬🤙🏻

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cfab94udWZC8j5cy6

Can't upload photos to the forum as they're too big.

I also have a black centre console lid and black roll bar covers on the way. It looks weird with the grey now.

Edited by RedBarediver

Plenty of sites on the web that will downsize your photographs ready for posting.

or just use something like Imigur. Seems to work with all my photos.

37 minutes ago, TV8 said:

How are the new seats for comfort and leg room please?

They seem a lot better. Definitely goes down lower than the previous seats. I had to have a sherbet to celebrate after installing them, so today will be the first time I take it for a drive. I'll report back but I anticipate a massive improvement.

• Like 2