PDK oil change

alank

My 981s   is 2014  (63) , with 28000 miles , am i correct in what i read that the  PDK  oil should be done at 12 yrs or 120,000 miles.  Even though mine is 12 yrs, 28000 miles seems a little low in comparison to the top end 120K. I know what most will say, cheaper than a gearbox, etc. Has anyone changed theirs and noticed the oil  a bit suspect (colour) , or changed it and thought it didnt need it????

15 minutes ago, alank said:

My 981s   is 2014  (63) , with 28000 miles , am i correct in what i read that the  PDK  oil should be done at 12 yrs or 120,000 miles.  Even though mine is 12 yrs,

If yours is a 2014 then it is only 10 years old so far

I think it says 12years or 120k miles, whichever comes first. Oil has the tendency to be hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the ambient environment, so the fact it might not have done the mileage it's sat there potentially absorbing any moisture in the box so may not perform as well. 

Edited by CMA
  • Thanks 1

Personal opinion

it’s distance or time. oil degrades over time so likely whatever properties make it appropriate are degraded after 12 years.

if it was the other way round say if the car had done 120k in 6 years for example then the logic wouldn’t hold for “good for another 120k” 

if you aren’t going to do it now then when will you do it, 15 years ? 20 years ? 

if you sell in the next few years then a buyer would be looking to see if it’s been done but like all these things.  Of course it your car.  Your choice

I've discussed 981 PDK clutch fluid a lot on here recently. 

When weather is cold and the car is cold and you fire it up then drive off, do you notice any jerking on the first shift from 1st to 2nd. If you do I'd recommend fresh clutch fluid or at a minimum a top up.

When mine was leaking I'd start to detect this. That was a couple years ago. Recently I've started noticing it again but now the leak is fixed so level should be fine and I'd guess the fluid has been in there a couple of years. I've bought a tub of Millers so I'll drop the old stuff out and replace with new.

If that improves the first gear change jerk, and I remember, I'll report back.

The cost of a 5 litre tub is only about 50 quid [you could just buy 3x1 litre] and it's maybe a 30 minute job DIY so not sure why anyone wouldn't.

I think @bally4563 did this recently 

3 hours ago, ATM said:

I've discussed 981 PDK clutch fluid a lot on here recently. 

When weather is cold and the car is cold and you fire it up then drive off, do you notice any jerking on the first shift from 1st to 2nd. If you do I'd recommend fresh clutch fluid or at a minimum a top up.

When mine was leaking I'd start to detect this. That was a couple years ago. Recently I've started noticing it again but now the leak is fixed so level should be fine and I'd guess the fluid has been in there a couple of years. I've bought a tub of Millers so I'll drop the old stuff out and replace with new.

If that improves the first gear change jerk, and I remember, I'll report back.

The cost of a 5 litre tub is only about 50 quid [you could just buy 3x1 litre] and it's maybe a 30 minute job DIY so not sure why anyone wouldn't.

I think @bally4563 did this recently 

This I did also with new aluminium sump/filter

I realise I need to go back to school as I obviously can’t add 12 to 2014 and get the right answer. Think will do next year as my gear changes are smooth at the moment. Thanks for all your comments 

• Like 2