Fitting 4 point harnesses in a 986.

phazed

As title. Has anyone done this before?

Any tips, piccies etc would be useful. I won't be using the Porsche seats.

Cheers.

Newly acquired 1.5kg Elise seats recently required which sit lower and nearly match the roof.

8LxrDG7.jpg

• Like 1

Use the roll over bar for the shoulder straps and create two floor anchors for the lap belts as it is a track focussed car.  But where you'd go for the onboard pick up I'm not sure.  Research on the 996 GT2, same floor (very nearly).

51 minutes ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

That seat looks great

I bought a matching pair from the bay.

Coincidently they are identical to a pair I fitted to a 4.6 TVR Chimaera about 15 years ago.

Yes, they hold you in position pretty well. Obviously if you have a four point harness, that makes a huge difference.

Same seats in my last TVR upholstered to match the interior.

v4oGYQK.png

I did the ring and a weeks touring in them but they certainly aren’t Range Rover comfort standard!

They look like very nice seats. Obviously they would look better in my 986!

I would have liked to spend £1500 plus on some really nice seats, but I have spent enough on this car at the moment, hence the Elise option. They will do the job for now and if the car goes well this year I may consider new seats next winter.

regarding your 987, I have the sports seats option in my RS 60, and have done several Track Days with a standard seatbelt. I must say, I was impressed by the support and never felt like I needed more, (considering the car is a road car and just does the occasional Track day). 

I have found that so many of those seats are really narrow!

A good find though. Let me know if you don't install them...

5 hours ago, phazed said:

I have found that so many of those seats are really narrow!

A good find though. Let me know if you don't install them...

Have you checked where he lives... Postage might be a bit costly!

• Haha 1

@phazed In terms of four point harnesses: which brand/version are you fitting and how do they provide “anti-submarine” protection?

Am interested because a set will go into my car at some point.

My only options so far are from Schroth. 

Most name brands would do. I have always generally used the original floor mounts and a harness or roll bar for the rear mounts.

My track Skoda. Nice and simple. I still left the original belt in for road work.

I loved that car.

W9L7Xd9.png

vylNklS.jpeg

1 hour ago, map said:

@phazed In terms of four point harnesses: which brand/version are you fitting and how do they provide “anti-submarine” protection?

Am interested because a set will go into my car at some point.

My only options so far are from Schroth. 

As long as you have good secure lap belts and a good seat, antisubmarine is not an issue.  Most standard care seats are designed with antisubmarine in mind.   I rallied for years in a 4 point harness, we eventually went to 5 point but more of an anti lift thing with a central bottom strap but that's not a concern on circuits.  I did use a 6 point a few times when co-driving for a few other people and they are obviously even more secure but less comfortable.  I had some big shunts in a 4 point with no belt issues (head on into a tree moved the Cosworth engine back 4", sideways into telegraph pole which broke off at the ground).

On 2/23/2024 at 5:34 PM, phazed said:

As title. Has anyone done this before?

Any tips, piccies etc would be useful. I won't be using the Porsche seats.

Cheers.

Newly acquired 1.5kg Elise seats recently required which sit lower and nearly match the roof.

8LxrDG7.jpg

Wow, that seat looks like a Chiropractors nightmare!

If you’re talking about my Skoda, then it was actually quite comfortable as they are the same shell as the Elise seats. They fit my body well, but there is minimal padding.

hi Peter, did you join faceache? There are several people in the Boxster groups that are in the race series. I am sure they will be able to advise, also some extra tube if you think that is necessary 

Hi Graham. Not yet, but I really should make the effort! You’re right I’m sure there are people out there with good information.

I made some brackets to mount Inner (using a standard belt clip from a scrappy) for the outer belt I've used an eye mount in place of the bottom belt bolt.

I've not been too worried about a 6 point , but I would get a bar made to suit, rather than pay ££ If you know a welder you would trust.