Front Coffin Arms

Justchris

Hi all,

Do any of our resident experts know if the 981 and 987 share the same front coffin arms?

I'm getting conflicting information.

Design 911 list the part number for the 981 as 991 341 053 06

Eurospares list the part number for the 981 as 991 341 053 01 which was superseded by 991 341 053 03

Eurospares list the original part number for the 987 as 997 341 053 04, which was superseded by 991 341 053 05, which in turn was superseded by 991 341 053 06 which is the what Design 911 list for the 981 😬.

I'm getting the dreaded pool ball knock and want to replace both coffin arms and tuning forks at the front and then the same for the rear at a later date.

My friendly parts guy lists them on his system for the 987 but not the 981, and without confirmation I don't want to pull the pin and order the wrong ones 🫣

TIA

Edited by Justchris
Typo

Perhaps I'm your man. I changed coffins on the passenger side only - so front and rear. This was about ... checked the exact date ... Sep 2018. I had trouble sourcing the replacement for the front at the time as I didn't understand it is the same part as the 9x7 which I now believe to be true. Anyway here you can see the arm I removed next to the replacement and a pic of the TRW part I used - JTC1619.

20180906_104311.jpg

20180912_170509.jpg

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Perhaps I'm your man. I changed coffins on the passenger side only - so front and rear. This was about ... checked the exact date ... Sep 2018. I had trouble sourcing the replacement for the front at the time as I didn't understand it is the same part as the 9x7 which I now believe to be true. Anyway here you can see the arm I removed next to the replacement and a pic of the TRW part I used - JTC1619.

20180906_104311.jpg

20180912_170509.jpg

Hmm, that suggest that they are not the same as the TRW part number for a 987 is JTC1194.

Really stumped now 😐

You can see the part number stamped on the arms but not sure it helps. I did a search for JCT1619 and it brought up the similar part number to the one you had above - 991 341 053 01 - link below. I'm assuming you know the last 2 numbers are the version number so all parts with different version numbers should be interchangeable. If I was you I'd buy the 981 part and not the 987 part if possible. It's worth saying that the 991 part number didn't exist before the 981 was made. So its possible that the JCT1194 part number relates to the 997 specific part - assuming these earlier parts had 997 stamped onto them and not 991. And when this was replaced or superceded with the 991 part they also changed their JCT part number. So they might have different part numbers but are still the same. Does this make sense?

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/99134105301

32 minutes ago, ATM said:

You can see the part number stamped on the arms but not sure it helps. I did a search for JCT1619 and it brought up the similar part number to the one you had above - 991 341 053 01 - link below. I'm assuming you know the last 2 numbers are the version number so all parts with different version numbers should be interchangeable. If I was you I'd buy the 981 part and not the 987 part if possible. It's worth saying that the 991 part number didn't exist before the 981 was made. So its possible that the JCT1194 part number relates to the 997 specific part - assuming these earlier parts had 997 stamped onto them and not 991. And when this was replaced or superceded with the 991 part they also changed their JCT part number. So they might have different part numbers but are still the same. Does this make sense?

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/99134105301

If I go to Autodoc, put my reg I get all coffin arms starting with 996, if I use the part number given by the Porsche parts catalogue 99134105301 it tells me it's not compatible with my car 🤯

Posted (edited)

No going back now, entered my reg, checked it was showing my car as a 2013 981, It gave me three options of coffin arms, went for the middle priced,  and 1 of control arms. All ordered plus 2 bonnet gas struts. Paid the £3.95 fee to allow no questions asked return within 200 days.

I'll keep you posted 🤞🏻

Btw @ATM were the front and rear the same coffin arms, and did you do the control arms too?

Edited by Justchris
Typo

2 hours ago, Justchris said:

@ATM were the front and rear the same coffin arms, and did you do the control arms too?

No

And 

No

This was what I used for the rear. It's a standard 9x6 type arm with the smaller bush. First I bought a 2nd JCT1619 before I realised they don't fit.

20180921_115535.jpg

Then a few months later I had an incident on the motorway involving some standing water, the grass verge and a signpost. 

20181209-140350.jpg

So I had to replace the rear left suspension because it was all scrap. I still have a spare rear control arm. Car is all sorted now.

20231117-144554.jpg

Just done all mine all round bottom wishbones

from Spyder they didn’t do front and rear control arms so got them  from D 911 again there menu was confusing so just rang them and ordered 

11 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Just done all mine all round bottom wishbones

from Spyder they didn’t do front and rear control arms so got them  from D 911 again there menu was confusing so just rang them and ordered 

Part numbers please?

On 3/4/2024 at 8:48 PM, ATM said:

No

And 

No

This was what I used for the rear. It's a standard 9x6 type arm with the smaller bush. First I bought a 2nd JCT1619 before I realised they don't fit.

20180921_115535.jpg

Then a few months later I had an incident on the motorway involving some standing water, the grass verge and a signpost. 

20181209-140350.jpg

So I had to replace the rear left suspension because it was all scrap. I still have a spare rear control arm. Car is all sorted now.

20231117-144554.jpg

Where are you based, if not too far I'm sure we could meet and come to an agreement over the remaining control arm, as I intend to do my rear end too at a later date.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:40 PM, bally4563 said:

53569587721_e327b59173_b.jpg 53569587716_20c1358905_b.jpg

There you go these are the control arms and not bottom wishbones 

Odd as it says coffin arm, lower control arm with ball joint.

Technically they don't have wishbones, but have two control arms one which is commonly referred to as a coffin arm (which I think you have above) and another commonly referred to as a tuning fork, these two together form a wishbone type of structure.

Think I've got all the correct ones ordered for my front, and will worry about the rear once the fronts have arrived and I've got them fitted!

Also got the small matter of an Aux belt, waterpump change and coolant flush and change to deal with next week 🫣

24 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Odd as it says coffin arm, lower control arm with ball joint.

Technically they don't have wishbones, but have two control arms one which is commonly referred to as a coffin arm (which I think you have above) and another commonly referred to as a tuning fork, these two together form a wishbone type of structure.

Think I've got all the correct ones ordered for my front, and will worry about the rear once the fronts have arrived and I've got them fitted!

Also got the small matter of an Aux belt, waterpump change and coolant flush and change to deal with next week 🫣

I attached the wrong invoice , having probably fitted 40 or so lower control arms and track control arms over the years never mind drop links lowering springs top mounts I think I’m in a good place to know what is what 😂😂

1 hour ago, Justchris said:

Where are you based, if not too far I'm sure we could meet and come to an agreement over the remaining control arm, as I intend to do my rear end too at a later date.

I have a spare JCT1619, is that what you're after. If so where are you based?

On 3/4/2024 at 3:01 PM, ATM said:

20180906_104311.jpg

20180912_170509.jpg

The only difference is the part sold in the TRW box had the VP Porsche Design logo ground off.

27 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The only difference is the part sold in the TRW box had the VP Porsche Design logo ground off.

Exactly what I was trying to show in the side by side pic. Assuming old arm coming off the car was original from Porsche factory. You can even see TRW stamp on the ball joint. Later revisions may have been manufactured elsewhere as I believe the TRW are now impossible to find. Ideally we need to ask some of the 718 lads to get pics of their car's arms.

2 minutes ago, ATM said:

Exactly what I was trying to show in the side by side pic. Assuming old arm coming off the car was original from Porsche factory. You can even see TRW stamp on the ball joint. Later revisions may have been manufactured elsewhere as I believe the TRW are now impossible to find. Ideally we need to ask some of the 718 lads to get pics of their car's arms.

Someone on here suggested they got their hands slapped by Porsche for the amount they were shifting as aftermarket parts. I could only find TRW drop links, steering arms and tuning forks for the 986 no coffin arms anywhere.  That said I also found Sachs top mounts with grinding makes where the VP logo and Porsche part number are stamped, but still zinc finished all over.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:43 PM, bally4563 said:

I attached the wrong invoice , having probably fitted 40 or so lower control arms and track control arms over the years never mind drop links lowering springs top mounts I think I’m in a good place to know what is what 😂😂

Wow, sorry.

I came here seeking advice to decipher the huge amount of conflicting information regarding the required parts. As someone who has maintained their vehicles for 40 years it was obvious to me that what you'd said and the image you had attached didn't match, however had I not mentioned it when someone else happens across this page in the future trying to resolve the same issue they could have been lead down the wrong path!

And I'm still none the wiser myself. The TRW (JCT1619) is out of stock everywhere and the "similar" (not alternative) part numbers listed all have OEN numbers starting with 997 or 996 so I'm back to my original question. Are the 9x7 & 9x6 parts the same as the 9x1. As some sources of information say yes while others say no.

I've taken a chance on some of the similar part numbers in the hope that they will fit, and I'll report back with an answer once they've arrived and I've attempted to fit them 🤞🏻. If so I'll list the alternative part numbers so that anyone with the same issue in the future may avoid all of this 👍🏻

On 3/4/2024 at 8:48 PM, ATM said:

Was it a standard 9x6 front or rear?

Don't think I need the JCT1619 as I've ordered what I hope is a full setup for both sides at the front from Autodoc

On 3/5/2024 at 9:33 AM, andygo said:

Part numbers please?

As soon as I've confirmed the ones I've ordered fit I'll post up a definitive list of OEN numbers that can be used to find the correct ones 👍🏻

19 hours ago, Justchris said:

Was it a standard 9x6 front or rear?

Don't think I need the JCT1619 as I've ordered what I hope is a full setup for both sides at the front from Autodoc

Its really simple

981 Front Arm = Big Bush 9x7 type

981 Rear Arm = Small Bush 9x6 type

On 3/9/2024 at 4:13 PM, ATM said:

Its really simple

981 Front Arm = Big Bush 9x7 type

981 Rear Arm = Small Bush 9x6 type

It'd be simpler if there were part numbers which could be entered on a parts site, when I go onto Autodoc I don't have the option to select big bush 9x7 or small bush 9x6

I'm doing the front first so have ordered the equivalent of a JCT1619 according to Autodoc (as they don't have them in stock), however when it's arrived it's got an OEN number beginning 996 and does not go with the tuning forks which I also ordered. Now I don't know it it's the arm or fork which is incorrect.

So frustrating

Taken another look at the exploded parts diagram, and looking at the bolt length at the fork to arm connection it seems I may have the correct fork for the front, and given that the arm OEN number for the arms I've received start with 996 I assume, given the statement above that they are for the rear.

So I guess the task now is to go through autodoc looking for an arm with a 9x7 OEN number and order a pair for the front🤞🏻

I'll cross the bridge of no results for the rear forks once I've sorted the fronts 🫣

43 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Taken another look at the exploded parts diagram, and looking at the bolt length at the fork to arm connection it seems I may have the correct fork for the front, and given that the arm OEN number for the arms I've received start with 996 I assume, given the statement above that they are for the rear.

So I guess the task now is to go through autodoc looking for an arm with a 9x7 OEN number and order a pair for the front🤞🏻

I'll cross the bridge of no results for the rear forks once I've sorted the fronts 🫣

I posted a link to the autodoc site above with the correct 991 part number you need. If you click on that link it will take you to the correct Autodoc page showing the correct 991 arms for the front. In the pics you should be able to see if it's big bush or small bush. That's assuming Autodoc is showing the correct pics for the parts they're selling. They show only one type of arm in stock right now which will work. It says it fits front. It says it fits 997 and 987 cats. I'm pretty certain it will work. This one

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/vaico/13586683