CDR 23

Mark Hunt

I've never swapped one but I believe you'll need the code for the new one you are fitting.

I have a CDR 22  and every time I disconnect the battery I have to enter the code that came with it, the code was in the original document pack, on a Silver Radio Code Card (which is about the same size as a credit card). I expect the CDR 23 will be the same.

If you don't have the card, try 9107.😉

Edited by markjh
typo

18 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

- is the code tied to the VIN and it remembers it?

Yes CDR23 needs coding to a car using PIWIS if moved to another car.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The code is stored in the main body of the radio on cdr23. If there are issues with the front LCD panel then just swapping that over is ok and the radio obviously doesn't need recoding.

I would suggest looking at a Continental. It looks very much like a standard Porsche radio (you can even get the sticker to say Porsche on the radio) and it's modern tech so your phone will connect via Bluetooth etc etc. Not very expensive either.

Once I have completed the current round of improvements on mine I may finally get a Continental. My radio is okay (Kenwood) and can connect two phones (one work and one private) but it annoys me because it doesn't dim with the rest of the interior lights when I want a nice dimly lit cockpit.

12 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Once I have completed the current round of improvements on mine I may finally get a Continental. My radio is okay (Kenwood) and can connect two phones (one work and one private) but it annoys me because it doesn't dim with the rest of the interior lights when I want a nice dimly lit cockpit.

The continental is a good unit if you get the correct wiring for the speaker set-up you have. I didnt initially and the air conditioning fans used to interfere with the sound when turned up. There is a guy in Norway who sells a modified ISO connector and that solved it. Not sure the continental attaches two phones and I don't remember mine dimming.  Loved the colour scheme though and the skip track was perfect for Spotify. 

2OGv2UN.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I would suggest looking at a Continental. It looks very much like a standard Porsche radio (you can even get the sticker to say Porsche on the radio) and it's modern tech so your phone will connect via Bluetooth etc etc. Not very expensive either.

I have the same niggle about my Kenwood regarding dimming but the colour match to the Porsche lighting is good with their custom colour lighting..  The Continentals only connect one phone to BT last time I checked.  You can get two Blaupunkt units, Bremen, or for a bit more Frankfurt which do two phones which are modern versions of two of their 90's head units in 'look and feel'.  I also prefer their illuminated text as opposed to illuminated background on the Continentals.

Bremen SQR 46 DAB - Blaupunkt

Frankfurt RCM 82 DAB - Blaupunkt

On most 3rd party head units in other cars the dinming is keyed off the “lights on” signal from the car. 

Don’t know about the 986 but 987 needs an adapter to get the signal from the canbus (was also the case in a 2004 Audi ) 

if that isn’t hooked up then the head unit thinks it’s forever daytime 

suggest check the pin out for the head unit and if it has an input for lights on that isn’t fed by the car then consider splicing onto the light switch.  

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

On most 3rd party head units in other cars the dimming is keyed off the “lights on” signal from the car. 

Kenwoods don't seem to have the signal wire for this, found this on the KDCBT720DAB in the Boxster, and a DNX525DAB I got for the previous Golf we had didn't seem to dim even though it was designed to connect direct to the OEM wiring as a VW specific product.

Interesting.  I can’t remember the model of the kenwood I put in the Audi but that definitely dimmed.  If I remember correctly the head unit expected the see the lights on straight from the iso harness. (And I don’t know why but I think pin a6 on the iso is supposed to present it. )

I had to depin the adapter and take the lights on feed from a canbus adapter because the car loom didn’t have it.  

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Interesting.  I can’t remember the model of the kenwood I put in the Audi but that definitely dimmed.  If I remember correctly the head unit expected the see the lights on straight from the iso harness. (And I don’t know why but I think pin a6 on the iso is supposed to present it. )

I had to depin the adapter and take the lights on feed from a canbus adapter because the car loom didn’t have it.  

Thanks.

I've taken a look at the wiring diagram in the Kenwood instructions and there is no wire to the head unit from A6.  I did spot a Dimmer section in the manual though in which you set the hours during which you want it dimmed, so may go and have a play tomorrow.  Slightly odd arrangement but avoids canbus issues, you just have to change it from about 4pm in winter with off at about 7:30 am to 9pm to about 5:30am in summer I guess.

• Like 1