Space in a 987

Judgegeorge

Hi

I have popped over from the 986 section as I currently have a 2003 986s.

My question relates to space in a 987, when this question get raised it seem to always be about leg room however I   am 6 2 and do not have a major problem with leg room with the seat fully back however with the seat in that position I cannot get the back of the seat tilted back enough and feel too upright. I have standard seats by the way I tried a couple with sports seats and that was worse.

My question is people say the 987 has more leg room but does this translate into been able to put the seat a little further forward to allow the back of the seat more tilt. 

I probably need to go and sit in one and even drive one but would welcome anyone’s experiences. 

Love  my Boxster but keep thinking and coming close to crossing to the 911 side. Help!!

I am 6 - 1 - I have found  every Porsche I have driven to be more comfortable if I sit more upright than I naturally want  to. In the 987.2 it means the optimum comfort position for me sees me sitting higher than I would want and in the airstream slightly - so I tend to drop the seat to it's lowest and live with the compromise. 

Only answer is go sit in a a couple ( and depending on your shape - you may find that the sports seats are MORE comfortable than the comfort seats (I am 16st - and the sport seats are WAY better)

Whereabouts are you - someone near you may be willing to let you sit in a fiddle with the seats to try a car on for size.

I’m 6’2 and have the seat tilted backwards for comfort, which means the seat base is slightly forward. It took me a while to get used to the leg position but I don’t think about it anymore. It helps to be able to raise/lower the steering wheel until you find the sweet spot of leg clearance and visibility of the dash dials. I think mine are the sports seats.

• Like 1

I didn't fit in my 986 and had all manner of aches and pains. So I changed to 987 seats and these were so much better. They sit you lower and further back. I believe the 987 is basically the same car as a 986 with some updates. So I'd assume they are the same in terms of legroom but the difference in seat as explained is what makes them feel roomier.

Also the steering wheel can be adjusted up and down too giving more room for knees. So yes some people find it better to put the seat forward a click or two to allow them to tilt the back rest more flat which then means your hips are forward and therefore knees up more. This only works if knees don't hit the steering wheel too much. And why some people often choose the centre console delete on 986.

So I'd say don't expect much more room in a 987. We're talking 10 to 15mm at most from the difference in seats but thats just guessing. Or just get 987 seats for your 986. They really are a game changer.

I've now switched to proper buckets in my 986 and have a lot more legroom. Still have the 987 seats so if you want to try one in your car let me know.

My 981 doesn't even have massive legroom but it's OK. Not sure if it's much bigger than the 986 but maybe a few mm. I've never measured it.

I did compare my 996 and 986 using a tape measure from throttle pedal pivot to seat and seat runner. I think there was 30mm difference - pics below. The 996 is easily bigger for legroom. Using 997 seats in my 996 with the seat fully back its almost too far from the clutch pedal to operate easily and I'm a just a smidgen below 6 2.

Red carpet is 996

You can see seat runner is 10mm further back. Then seat is further back on the runner by roughly around 20mm. So 30mm mm overall. 

20210713-100910.jpg

20210713-101138.jpg

6’4” here. I found the 987 much roomier than the 986. Can’t recall about the recline, but I expect you can if you keep the seat further forward as there does seem to be a bit more room in there.

The 997 is roomier still as you can move the seat further back and tilt as much as you like.

9 hours ago, ATM said:

I did compare my 996 and 986 using a tape measure from throttle pedal pivot to seat and seat runner. I think there was 30mm difference - pics below. The 996 is easily bigger for legroom. Using 997 seats in my 996 with the seat fully back its almost too far from the clutch pedal to operate easily and I'm a just a smidgen below 6 2.

Red carpet is 996

You can see seat runner is 10mm further back. Then seat is further back on the runner by roughly around 20mm. So 30mm mm overall. 

That is a good spot! I removed the stop on the 996 seats and obviously can not do that on 986! 
@phazed can you measure your 986 and 987 as per pictures and report back please?

6'2" portly dude here.

Fit fine in my 987 with steering wheel between my legs.

Covered 1800 miles in three days and it was a comfortable cruiser.

My 6'1" lanky son struggled in the passenger seat with his size 13 feet mind.

Here’s my take on it. I am 6’-2” tall.

987, (Sports seats) I fit perfectly with the seat, slightly forward and loads of headroom. Enough to fit a helmet for a track day with the roof up.. steering wheel will adjust to a great position with no infringement on knees/legs.

986, (touring seats) Sit a little higher in the seat and it has a bit more padding so even though I’m sure the cabin is identical I have the seat I believe one notch forwards from right back. Head has about 2 inches headroom to the underside of the roof and I’m guessing the helmet would brush the underside, so slightly less headroom. Steering wheel must have less adjustment it seems and therefore I have my knees touching the steering wheel.

For those that say they want the back of the seat tilted further back I would just say that this may be a sort of comfortable position, (certainly not for me) but is far from the best for optimum control of the car. I have normal length arms for my 6‘2“ frame and I need the back of the seat tilted forwards slightly. I can’t see the point of the arm stretched out driving position. My three boys used to drive with their arms, outstretched, and back of seat tilted rearwards no matter what I told them. I introduced them to Track Days and the seat back instantly returned to the proper position and they have never gone back to that laid-back style.

6 hours ago, TV8 said:

That is a good spot! I removed the stop on the 996 seats and obviously can not do that on 986! 
@phazed can you measure your 986 and 987 as per pictures and report back please?

986 From base of pedal to centre of front seat mount bolt is 570mm

987.                                                                                               585mm

Of course, throttle pedals may be mounted differently…

Will have a check of total floor length of both if I can measure from a set reference point.

i never had my 986 seats all the way back (i'm 6' exactly, but apparently short legs), but they 986 seats are definitely a lot higher than the 987 seats, and the steering wheel being able to move up in the 987 has meant i'm massively more comfortable in my 987 than i was in my 986.

Had a measure, the best I could under the circumstances with carpet and seat in the way. Looks like the 987 has a 10 mm longer floor front to back under the driver seat. 
of course, they may be identical, and it might just be down to thickness of insulation and carpet. Whatever, there isn’t much in it. I would be surprised if it was any more than the seats.

I’m a 6’2” ‘unit’, and I find the 987 snug but surprisingly comfortable- headroom is fine as is elbow space.  Only squeeze is left knee/hand/steering wheel occasionally- but can live with it happily.  Easier to get in and out of than my 1series beater mind…

Edited by Slomofo

2 hours ago, Slomofo said:

I’m a 6’2” ‘unit’, and I find the 987 snug but surprisingly comfortable- headroom is fine as is elbow space.  Only squeeze is left knee/hand/steering wheel occasionally- but can live with it happily.  Easier to get in and out of than my 1series beater mind…

It feels like wearing the car rather than sitting in it doesnt it?

I saw a techique for unfit people getting out of low cars and it involves using your right hand on the door sill and rolling up and out. I can do it now without stumbling or looking like a pratt at all.

Edited by eob

1 hour ago, eob said:

It feels like wearing the car rather than sitting in it doesnt it?

I saw a techique for unfit people getting out of low cars and it involves using your right hand on the door sill and rolling up and out. I can do it now without stumbling or looking like a pratt at all.

Found it.

Like a swan.

3 hours ago, andy987 said:

Previous owner of mine had bought a spare carpet for the bulkhead behind the seats. He cut it in half so the drivers seat went back another inch or so 

That's very interesting 

Have you got any pics please?

Couple of pics here:

I put the original full carpet back as I didn’t need the extra leg room (I’m 6’ 1”) 

noise wise, it wasn’t that different with half of it missing although the previous owner had stuck some sound deadening mat stuff on the metal engine cover