Instrument bulbs

RedBarediver

Following my recent foray into removing and replacing the dashboard on my 986, the centre screen (the one under the rev counter) no longer lights up. It still works so I presume it's just a blown bulb. Easy to swop out and replace but it seems that even the guys in my local Porsche dealership aren't sure of which to order. There are three bulbs (and one would think it's number 4 in this diagram (https://www.eurospares.co.uk/Parts/99963130390/Porsche)) but they're not sure. The three bulbs all have different wattages (3w, 1.5w and 1.2w). Before I go and buy all three (and end up just using one), can anyone confirm which is which, please?

Porsche bulbs

Edited by RedBarediver

Someone did a chart on here, I booked marked it, but the topic has now gone. ☹️

Checking the parts cat, they don't give a quantity per vehicle (which they do for most parts) so can't even work it backwards.  I have found this through putting the part numbers into the D911:

999 631 302 90 - black base 1.2W

999 631 303 90 - beige base 1.5 W

999631 304 90 - green base 3W

As they are about £7 or £8 each you may want to check what colour the blown one is before blowing £20+.

49 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Buy all 3, if you replace one I bet it’s brighter than the other older ones 

Ha ha I bet you're right!

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Someone did a chart on here, I booked marked it, but the topic has now gone. ☹️

Checking the parts cat, they don't give a quantity per vehicle (which they do for most parts) so can't even work it backwards.  I have found this through putting the part numbers into the D911:

999 631 302 90 - black base 1.2W

999 631 303 90 - beige base 1.5 W

999631 304 90 - green base 3W

As they are about £7 or £8 each you may want to check what colour the blown one is before blowing £20+.

I've taken out the blown one and it's beige. As are the other two....

I reckon I'll just get all three but then how to tell which is which if they're all beige.

They will not all be beige, just the instrument ones.  The other colours will be for the warning lights or even LED backlighting.  I suspect the instruments will all have the same backlighting bulb.  Try putting one from another instrument into the rev counter and see if it fires up.

If you have a multi-meter, set it to resistance.  By Ohm's law, R=V2/P (resistance = voltage squared divided by the power).  So a 1.2w bulb (black) for 12 v will give 120ohms and 1.5w (beige) bulb will give 96ohms and 3w (green) will give 48ohms.

Trying to save you money here!

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

They will not all be beige, just the instrument ones.  The other colours will be for the warning lights or even LED backlighting.  I suspect the instruments will all have the same backlighting bulb.  Try putting one from another instrument into the rev counter and see if is fires up.

If you have a multi-meter, set it to resistance.  By Ohm's law, R=V2/P (resistance = voltage squared divided by the power).  So a 1.2w bulb (black) for 12 v will give 120ohms and 1.5w (beige) bulb will give 96ohms and 3w (green) will give 48ohms.

Trying to save you money here!

Thanks. The instrument bulbs are all black. There do seem to be a few bulbs missing (one warning light for CAT and one for what looks like the rear spoiler).

1 minute ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Great topic-while on this subject anybody well informed regarding which wattage bulb is used for convertible roof dash warning light?

Thanks in advance.

It will be one these, @RedBarediver, whilst your instrument pod is out, can you see what colour the warning lights across the bottom are?

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

It will be one these, @RedBarediver, whilst your instrument pod is out, can you see what colour the warning lights across the bottom are?

I was hoping somebody would have the info not ask me to remove the instrument pod as the car isn't at my house atm 😒 

1 minute ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I was hoping somebody would have the info not ask me to remove the instrument pod as the car isn't at my house atm 😒 

No, I was asking Eugene (RedBarediver), the original poster, to check inside his pod that he's working on to get the info for you.  If he can do that I can add a definitive part number guide for each type of instrument pod bulb.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

No, I was asking Eugene (RedBarediver), the original poster, to check inside his pod that he's working on to get the info for you.  If he can do that I can add a definitive part number guide for each type of instrument pod bulb.

I have the pod out of the car and will take pictures of the rear so you can see the bulbs. The issue is that all the bulbs for the little screens are beige. And yet, they are all different...

The middle is the one that is blown (first pic). the other four empty spaces have been empty since I bough the car. It may be necessary to get those bulbs and install them once I have passed the MOT. 

IMG_5133 IMG_5136

Edited by RedBarediver

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Great topic-while on this subject anybody well informed regarding which wattage bulb is used for convertible roof dash warning light?

Thanks in advance.

That will be one of the black ones. I have tried to see if I can find what wattages they are but I'll have to take one out and look on the base. I'll do that tonight when I work on the car.

Check out this though: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm

Edited by RedBarediver

15 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

That will be one of the black ones. I have tried to see if I can find what wattages they are but I'll have to take one out and look on the base. I'll do that tonight when I work on the car.

Check out this though: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm

Black ones are 1.2W, you can see it moulded into them if you zoom in on your picture.  I wonder where the 3W green ones are used?  Also I can't see bulbs for the indicator or main beam indication bulbs in the centre dial.

Next challenge is to find where you can buy these Osram bulbs without Porsche tax.  I'll let you know if I find them.

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I wonder where the 3W green ones are used?  Also I can't see bulbs for the indicator or main beam indication bulbs in the centre dial.

The green ones are inside the cluster so you have to disassemble it a bit further according to the Pelican article.

Here we go:

999 631 303 90 - Beige 1.5W Osram 2452MFX6/ Hella 8GA 007 997-141

999 631 302 90 - Black 1.2W Osram 2351MFX6 / Hella 8GA 007 997-121

All the alternative green ones, 999 631 304 90, are 2W not 3W that the part cat lists.

Looks like they are widely available for under £2 each.  All the above info came from Autodoc after a Google search for 'osram instrument cluster bulbs'

I've saved this to my OE supplier part numbers data for future reference.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Here we go:

999 631 303 90 - Beige 1.5W Osram 2452MFX6/ Hella 8GA 007 997-141

All the alternative green ones, 999 631 304 90, are 2W not 3W that the part cat lists.

Looks like they are widely available for under £2 each.  All the above info came from Autodoc after a Google search for 'osram instrument cluster bulbs'

I've saved this to my OE supplier part numbers data for future reference.

And Porsche want to charge over £7 each...

1 minute ago, RedBarediver said:

And Porsche want to charge over £7 each...

You're welcome!

Besides, I enjoy research like this :geek: and its rewarding to beat  'The Man'.

Edited by ½cwt

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You're welcome!

Besides, I enjoy research like this :geek: and its rewarding to beat  'The Man'.

:D I love it too. Nothing more rewarding than doing a job for 10% of what they would charge. Plus, just working on the car myself keeps me out of mischief and I always learn something new.

59 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Found these other equivalents for that one.... 

• BOSCH: 1 987 302 235
  • LUCAS ELECTRICAL: LLB286THBL
  • NARVA: 170273000
  • PHILIPS: 12625CP
  • RING: R509TMBK

From this link: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/osram-9343647.html

And for Beige 1.5W Osram 2452MFX6/ Hella 8GA 007 997-141

• BOSCH: 1 987 302 255
  • HELLA: 8GA 007 997-141
  • LUCAS ELECTRICAL: LLB286THBE
  • NARVA: 170483000
  • PHILIPS: 12627CP

From https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/osram-9363427.html

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have them;

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/4400

The pod back lighting are always the lowest wattage on pretty much every clock or pod, warning lamps are brighter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

@RedBarediver

Lucas 286THBL 12V
1.2W Black Base Bulb
Single Bulb
Product Code: 481774862

Found these at ECP not sure if the bulb might be dimensionally too large though....if you have the Bulb & holder out of car might be worth a look.

They look the right size to me.