Thoughts on the Macan for a Daily Drive

pjk1978

Depends on what age you're looking for, early ones have higher tax, from about 2017 they have the new car premium then drop on year 6 to £180 a year

Most seem to have the transfer box issue at some point in their life, mines just been identified as needing a new one. (2017 GTS)

Up to around 2019 are Porsche engines, after they use Audi variants. The 2.0 four pot is ok but a bit gutless and highly strung if you're used to the silky smooth V6 versions

2016 to around 2021 they all have proper buttons in the centre console, 2019 on they have a bigger screen. After 2021 they have god awful touch buttons, had a brand new one last week while mine was in for servicing and it was horrendous and just looked a greasy fingerprint mess when I handed it back, larger screen was nice though.

Options are things to look out for depending on what you like. I wish I'd waited for one with the Burmeister stereo as I think the Bose is a bit naff.

• Like 2

Loved mine, 2016 Turbo.  Early 2 litres were a bit ropey and as mentioned the transfer box can be an issue but not in mine.

GTS is the pick of the range.

5 minutes ago, pjk1978 said:

Thanks for the responses.....showing my lack of knowledge, but what's the transfer box issue? 

One to google as there's loads of info out there, mine manifested itself similar to as is written here https://www.vehiclehistory.com/questions/what-are-some-of-the-porsche-macan-transfer-box-problems-103934

"Many owners have felt vibrations or acceleration that's stuttered when starting from a flat surface or at speeds of 25-35 mph. It sort of feels like You're going over a lot of small speed bumps, and is initially somewhat understated"

For me the sweet spot is a Gen 1 GTS (but I am biased😜)

Good value for money now even if buying from an OPC.

As others have said transfer box which has an extended manufacturer warranty for 7 years.

Sunroof can leak if roof drains are not cleared, but for me makes the interior so much lighter and I love opening the tilt option.

Timing chain cover oil leaks on one group of early cars due to over tightening of studs during manufacturing process, but they should all be fixed by now.

Air suspension can be problematic but if the car is on 20"s the ride on steel springs is super so air not needed. If on 21"s some say it's a bit harsh, but then they have probably never driven a BMW😂

They are brilliant daily drivers, apart from a classic MB SL Pagoda I have never kept a car more than 3 years, but now well into year 4 and this one will be a keeper.

Would I run one outside of a Porsche warranty🤔 not sure!

Just had my 6 year service £1650😳 but normal servicing at an OPC isn't bank breaking and it's only every 2 years.

Buy from an OPC, you get 2 years warranty, insist the roof drain are cleared, insist it gets serviced, get a report on brake disc/pad thickness and you should have a great car.

What budget have you set?

Edited by JurassicBGTS

I have a 2017 SD Model as my daily drive (along with a Boxster) Had it 4 years now and had done 22k miles when I got it and now on 83K and better than ever. No leaks, no oil usage and smooth as silk. i have kept the Porsche extended warranty going so all services are by Porsche.

The ride on 21" wheels is really good (with PASM) compared to my previous BMW's!!!

MPG average is about 34MPG over that time - not great but I don't hang about either.

It's a great daily and does so many things so well.

For 30K you will be in a Gen1 but go mid 2016 or later as these have a slightly better user interface and Carplay is just a software update.

• Thanks 1

I forgot to add a few common problems!

1. Sunroof leaks and floods the car. I would NOT buy a Macan with a sunroof!

2. Transfer boxes - these are a common problem, many are fixed under warranty up to 7 years old.

3. Camcover oil leaks - used to be an engine out job to fix, now they just fit different bolts so an easy fix. (Petrol models)

Those are the main issues. I pay for a Porsche extended warranty each year. It's about £800 a year and servicing must be done by Porsche. You can have this up to 120K miles and 15 years old. I get the brakes and pads done by an independent and have not had any issues.

Under warranty, I have had a new Transfer box, New EGR Valve, New EGR Cooler so it's been worth it for me 100%.

Oil changes for me are every 18K approx. PDK oil change every 40K miles.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Ti Rich

Sunroof leaks.

Just keep the sunroof drains clear. Same as a Boxster keep the roof drains clear then you shouldn't have an issue.

For me the light that the sunroof brings to the Macan cabin is worth me ensuring the drains are clear.

Unfortunately forums generally show the issues not the good bits. There are 30,000+ Macans on the road in the UK. As it's such a popular option, maybe 2/3rds have sunroofs. So 20,000 Macans with sunroofs. If they all leaked I think you would be hearing far more about it🤔 Plus add all the Audi/Seat/Skoda versions?

I wouldn't buy a Macan without a sunroof👍

55 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Very nice enthusiast owned, OPC serviced,  Gen 1 GTS just popped up for sale on the Macan forum for £28k

Be prepared for high petrol consumption on the GTS models lots of fill ups they drink fuel like it's going out of fashion especially in town.

I know two people who sold GTS as could not put up with the low petrol consumption.

As been said Sunroofs can leak and creak avoid would be my choice we have A/C 

Obviously all personal preferences bum for all seats that suits your needs.

Edited by tracy

Agree Tracy, if fuel consumption is a worry then maybe a diesel is a better option.

However for my GTS I keep a spreadsheet.

14382 miles 568.59 gallons 25.29 MPG

Which for a performance SUV I think is very acceptable.

1 hour ago, tracy said:

Be prepared for high petrol consumption on the GTS models lots of fill ups they drink fuel like it's going out of fashion especially in town.

I know two people who sold GTS as could not put up with the low petrol consumption.

As been said Sunroofs can leak and creak avoid would be my choice we have A/C 

Obviously all personal preferences bum for all seats that suits your needs.

• Like 1

That's good miles per gallon people I know we're getting teens per gallon in there GTS combined driving. One of the guys saw 26 mpg on a very long motorway run to Scotland from London at speed limits.

I got a courtesy Macan Turbo omg 😲 did it drink petrol .

The 2.0 petrol is much better on fuel and plenty fast enough for an suv for everyday as a second car.

But only my findings from experience of course having driven many Macans.

Just depends what you want for a second car, if a Macan being economical for me personally would be key.

Diesels are very economical a friends got one  high 40s but not for everyone 

Nice to have choices of course.

• Like 1

I have an SD. Had it since new, just turned 134k a few days ago. Brilliant car, effortless cruiser, holds the road well and the wife loves it too. I'd replace it with similar but they don't do diesel any more. A few minor issues; intercooler replaced under warranty at about 8 months due to a weep, door window switches replaced again under warranty as the chrome fell off, TPM valves replaced, again under warranty too. Replaced an Adblu pipe at my own expense as it furred up (250?). Apart from that, regular servicing every 20k, PDK service every 40k and it has been very reliable. Tyres lasted 60k a set which is unheard off (Michelin Latitude Tour All Seasons). Needs a full set of pads and discs regularly though (they are heavy). Replaced a couple of CV joints too, but it is a high miler. Highly recommended. If you're getting one, make sure it has the surround cameras which are brilliant when parking - especially with the overhead view.

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

I have an SD. Had it since new, just turned 134k a few days ago. Brilliant car, effortless cruiser, holds the road well and the wife loves it too. I'd replace it with similar but they don't do diesel any more. A few minor issues; intercooler replaced under warranty at about 8 months due to a weep, door window switches replaced again under warranty as the chrome fell off, TPM valves replaced, again under warranty too. Replaced an Adblu pipe at my own expense as it furred up (250?). Apart from that, regular servicing every 20k, PDK service every 40k and it has been very reliable. Tyres lasted 60k a set which is unheard off (Michelin Latitude Tour All Seasons). Needs a full set of pads and discs regularly though (they are heavy). Replaced a couple of CV joints too, but it is a high miler. Highly recommended. If you're getting one, make sure it has the surround cameras which are brilliant when parking - especially with the overhead view.

60k from a set of tyres is very impressive, part of the reason I have a liking for Michelin.

Is PCCB an option, would that save in the long run I wonder and might be a worthwhile extra when on the hunt for a car?