New to Porsche and loving it

986Jack

HI everyone,

I'm Jack from Bromley (SE London). My car history of the last 22 years has nearly been pretty much completely Italian with a range of Alfas - very much influenced by my late father whose 1969 Spider which he bought in 1975, we still have. I have a 155 Q4 and a Giulietta then, until July last year, I had a bit of a scabby GTV which I took on as a project. I recommissioned it and advertised it to get my money back. Unexpectedly, I had an offer of a straight swap for a Boxster S. I had thought of getting one a couple of years ago when I saw how good value for money, they were but opted for another Alfa at the time. We did the swap, both were happy.

It needed a couple of tyres, a coffin arm and an ABS sensor. It had just had a service, clutch, RMS, hood and both rads done, but unfortunately, I found it was dripping a little oil. This led me to think it was the IMS. It has taken long than I had hoped but with the gearbox off, the leaky IMS cover was evident. I ended up replacing the IMS with the EPS one (I can afford the bearing, not an engine and scaremongering works) and now I can get to rebuilding it (along with 4x CV boots). 

I have to say though, it is an awesome car, lovely to drive and great to look at. I very much look forward to getting it back on the road in a couple of weeks. Spyder Performance have been very helpful, and they are not too far away, plus, Type911 are just down the road if I need something quick.

I am on the FB group but always prefer an old-fashioned forum so look forward to participating here.

Cheers,
Jack

IMG_20230725_193515.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 986Jack said:

... plus, Type911 are just down the road if I need something quick.

and indeed on here @T911UK...

Welcome aboard.  Will be interesting to read your thoughts and experiences after the Alfas you've had.  Many of us 'enjoy' working on them as much as driving them but enjoy it in the way you prefer.  No question is too stupid, however some answers you might get can be, but above this is a helpful friendly place to talk Boxsters and more.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

and indeed on here @T911UK...

Welcome aboard.  Will be interesting to read your thoughts and experiences after the Alfas you've had.  Many of us 'enjoy' working on them as much as driving them but enjoy it in the way you prefer.  No question is too stupid, however some answers you might get can be, but above this is a helpful friendly place to talk Boxsters and more.

Ah great. I did pickup a few little bits on Saturday from Matthew. He kindly put me in the direction of PET to help me put it back together using the right bolts in the right places!

My impression of the Boxster under the skin is that it really is well made and high quality. I've never had to undo bolts so tight but didn't snap (the bolts either side of the gearbox holding the mounting frames to it). I've got an extensive drill bit collection for sheard studs but not had to use them yet.

Edited by 986Jack

7 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Welcome aboard. No need to have gotten rid of your Alfa - it's not a requirement :) I still have mine 

😅 I've got two left to keep me entertained thankfully. What do you have?

3 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I've still got my 147 Sport Q2 and the memsaab has a Stelvio.

Very nice. Those Q2s are great. I had a 156 JTS for a while, then 166 V6, then came the GTV V6. I've not driven a Stelvio as yet but the Giulia and that ZF gearbox is super smooth!

• Like 1

Welcome - suggest addling a rough location to your profile - will help down the line with recommendations or offers of help / loan of kit / diags etc.

• Thanks 1

Hi, you’re a local to me. If you need a code reader, I have one although if you have changed the IMS yourself, that is the limit of the help I can probably offer 😀

there are a couple of relatively local groups as well. One meets at the Moat Wrotham every month and had a good turnout this morning but only a handful of Boxsters. They do other events further down in Kent each month as well. 
There is the Surrey porkers or something similar to that and that is all Boxsters and meets most Sundays but that is typically 25/30 miles and requires an early start and I mostly fail to set the alarm..
There is also a group called legends drivers club and they arrange things most months and at least once a month at Westerham Brewery. 

56 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Hi, you’re a local to me. If you need a code reader, I have one although if you have changed the IMS yourself, that is the limit of the help I can probably offer 😀

there are a couple of relatively local groups as well. One meets at the Moat Wrotham every month and had a good turnout this morning but only a handful of Boxsters. They do other events further down in Kent each month as well. 
There is the Surrey porkers or something similar to that and that is all Boxsters and meets most Sundays but that is typically 25/30 miles and requires an early start and I mostly fail to set the alarm..
There is also a group called legends drivers club and they arrange things most months and at least once a month at Westerham Brewery. 

Thanks for the offer. I have messaged with a member here who is familiar with this actual car who is willing to read the codes. The Alfa club meet at the Moat each month too! I'll try and get down to one of those meets. A neighbour has a 2005 911 and one a bit further down has series 1 911, sure I can tempt them to join me..

• Like 1

I had a 986 and then I’ve had a lot of classic Alfa’s. And I hardly ever got out as I was forever chasing down problems. With my vintage of Alfas  that’s rust and earths.

I had no enjoyment from cars at all. So I sat back and thought about the best car I’d ever driven. An Integra R was very high up the list, as was a fabulously high maintenance Alfa 75 that had a lot of mods. Number two was a 1999 Subaru Turbo 2000.

But running through the Alps or down into Spain in my Boxster. These were my greatest days. And that’s why I’ve got a 986 again. 

I get the 916 Alfas. If I had time for one I’d have a twin-spark just because of how they look. But the Boxster is the answer to any motoring question I ask myself.