981 PDK - 2.7 or 3.4?

Dubdubz

On 4/3/2024 at 11:28 AM, Dubdubz said:

But then I binge watched YouTube and the 3.4 comes across as a bit lazy mid range? surely thats not right.

It’s not lazy as such, but it allows you to be lazier in your driving style…I.e. you can drive at 80% and comfortably keep with a 2.7 at 95%, it is more conducive of a relaxing driving style. However if you find your current 2.7 to lack pizzaz don’t expect the 981 to be significantly better.   If you do a lot of spirited driving the 2.7 is great as it forces you to thrash it.  I find the 3.4 is still great when on it but also great when just wanting to push a bit without being at the red line all the time. YMMV.

987.2 experience.  2.9 pdk vs 3.4 pdk.  No wrong answer.  Both fast enough. 

2.9 had a (for me ) annoyance.  When driving like miss daisey at 70 I found it need a downshift to accelerate to 75.  Non issue in that it was easy to do ( wheel controls, manual mode, foot twitch ) but the annoyance as it needed it - at those speeds on the motorway if you said “come on let’s go”! it turned Jekyll and Hyde and become a 90+ monster.  Not so the 3.4 It will roll on 5 mph at 70 without getting excited.  Personally I don’t equate that with “engaging” it was just “busy”.  

otherwise.  I wouldn’t have really noticed the difference.  Mrs P described the 3.4 as less frantic. 

if I went again I would consider either engine with either box but if I am honest I would probably lean towards a manual 2.9 or a pdk 3.4 but neither combo would be a deal breaker  all combos are faster and better than me  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried 2 981s’s today. Made my 2.7 feel like it was broken. Nicely quick. Not Tesla rapid of course. 

so deffo 3.4 (unless there is a unicorn spec one appearing…)
PASM is on my must have list now. 

not fussed on extended leather or sports exhaust actually. 

got a couple of others to try next week…

16 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

Tried 2 981s’s today. Made my 2.7 feel like it was broken. Nicely quick. Not Tesla rapid of course. 

so deffo 3.4 (unless there is a unicorn spec one appearing…)
PASM is on my must have list now. 

not fussed on extended leather or sports exhaust actually. 

got a couple of others to try next week…

Yeah see, it’s best to form your own opinions if it is possible to get real experience. For me if I were looking for another one I’d still have PSE and extended leather at the top of the list. 

Here’s a bit of a wordy review I did when changing from 2.7 to 3.4 last year

Short version. Unless it was a straight road then me in the 2.7 vs me in the 3.4 wouldn’t be any different in terms of speed. And either will be illegal quickly.

I expect the only place (other than an open straight - where there will ALWAYS be something quicker) I’d be able to be quicker than me with an S is on track. And I haven’t been on track for several years as I lost interest in that. 

If I were changing for spec then a 2.7 wouldn’t put me off for the perfect car.

Pirellis rubbish? Nonsense, that’s just forum fodder. Not saying that PS4s aren’t better but Porsche didn’t fit ditch finder remoulds.

My only unanswered ‘regret’ when I upgraded was that I didn’t hold out to try a manual. But the rest of the car was so good I went for another PDK. When I’m just schleping in the motorway or in traffic though then the PDK is perfect so can’t really knock that.

• Like 1

Leather was not as nice as I had thought it would be,certainly the standard cabin is a nice place to be

Id likely put PSE or Carnewal if it didn’t have it but as I can spanner this is an easy up grade

as is cruise bar the coding but that’s fine  

things like electric seats which I loved, and PASM are expensive to retro fit, PASM to the point you’d be better off buying a car with it!

hope to look at another tomorrow, one of the short list got snapped up  

that’s the biggest quandry now is when do I stop looking, will more come out for sale when the weather improves ? of course the prices won’t be as nice but that’s ok for the right car

I  think the right 981 could be a +5-6 year keeper to be honest from what I’ve driven

need to try a non opening roof one too just so I’m not always having coupe wanderlust  

this is a great response. Keep the points coming .

Well….

its funny how things just happen 

Deposit down on a ‘14 3.4S boxster 

private sale, it’s a heap of cash which I’m still wrestling with… it’s maybe not unicorn spec but it has a lot 

details soon

does means I am now more motivated to move my old 987 😉

• Like 3

On 4/12/2024 at 11:19 AM, Menoporsche said:

Still got space for missiles and an ejector seat, eh @mrbikerdood

Always ........ 

c5ZiRyl.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2