Advice

scorpio63

Can I start my Boxster with the serpentine belt removed? . The vehicle will be picked up by a recovery company and it would help significantly if it can be driven on . Apologies if this sounds a unusual question. See my previous post for history.

31 minutes ago, scorpio63 said:

Can I start my Boxster with the serpentine belt removed? . The vehicle will be picked up by a recovery company and it would help significantly if it can be driven on . Apologies if this sounds an unusual question. See my previous post for history.

Yes but you will have no power steering 

The most important is a plastic impeller to avoid the risk of metal bits going through the water system or machining away the housing in the event of a failure. Pierberg 7031081.02.0 is the nearest to OE and I believe Pierberg (although not 100% certain) are the OE supplier to Porsche.  About £200.

Edited by ½cwt

I use a garage  who have looked after my car. I always supply parts.

On a similar topic..I called the AA to request recovery to the garage and because the Mot expired I am not covered.. bl..dy bureaucracy....I will investigate getting the car picked up by a private company...

1 hour ago, scorpio63 said:

and because the Mot expired I am not covered

Wonder if that is also true for SORN vehicles, using the same logic.

Think I got mine from Autodoc some years ago. Might be worth considering replacing the thermostat housing/bracket too. I didn't bother looking for a specific brand, as they are pretty cheap if I recall correctly. Personally I wasn't tempted with the low temp thermostat and went with stock temp (87 C I think?). 

Low temp was recommended for the 3.4 engine as it was suspected to mitigate bore scoring (true or not). 

Not sure how much benefit there is for the smaller engines, I think I saw one argument in favour once, that's it.

Don't know about brands. Might make sense to change while you're in there.