1998 986 - Boot Remote Conundrum

PaulZR

Hi all

Curious to see if anyone has a bright idea on what may be wrong with my Boxster's remote boot release.

It's an early 2.5 986, so has the earlier solenoid (99662411700) and the manual release lever.

The boot release button on the key-fob remote has never worked in 4 years of ownership, even when held down for several seconds.

I recently paid Porsche an exorbitant amount for a replacement key and had it coded to the car, and I was optimistic that this would resolve the issue. However, no such luck.

This afternoon I took the spoiler mechanism out and expected to confirm a defective solenoid. However, when I applied a power probe to the solenoid, it worked just fine (first time I've ever heard it make a noise!)

So, I'm at a bit of a loss. Solenoid appears fine, key should be fine. What else could it be?

I’d suggest get it on a decent Porsche aware diag reader, see if any codes are reported before throwing more cash at the parts cannon.

Assuming the cabin switch works with it maybe the alarm control unit isn’t working with that rear release.

Don’t know if it would report anything in that event but that’s where I’d start.

Edited by iborguk

On the early cars the interior lever is a cable release so would work whether solenoid is working or not.  Check you are getting a signal to the solenoid when pressing the button.   Could be it has been disconnected at some time in the past and not correctly reconnected.  Another possibility is the dreaded moisture under the passenger seat...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iborguk said:

I’d suggest get it on a decent Porsche aware diag reader, see if any codes are reported before throwing more cash at the parts cannon.

Assuming the cabin switch works with it maybe the alarm control unit isn’t working with that rear release.

Don’t know if it would report anything in that event but that’s where I’d start.

I have a Foxwell 510 with the Porsche module. That's not showing any codes in the Alarm module, unfortunately.

I should add, the new key was needed because I'm thinking of selling the car. I haven't had a working remote key for at least 2 years - just don't bother locking the car!

21 hours ago, ½cwt said:

On the early cars the interior lever is a cable release so would work whether solenoid is working or not.  Check you are getting a signal to the solenoid when pressing the button.   Could be it has been disconnected at some time in the past and not correctly reconnected.  Another possibility is the dreaded moisture under the passenger seat...

Yes, the interior lever has always worked fine so I've just used that and ignored the lack of remote release on the key (it's ultimately not that important, after all).

How would you go about checking signal to the solenoid? I can see red flashing light on the key and a corresponding red flashing indicator on the receiver in the centre of the dash-top, but not sure how to confirm if the solenoid is receiving any instruction.

20 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Tired solenoid 

I initially assumed it would be a knackered solenoid, but it works fine when power is applied directly to it, which leads me to suspect the problem lies in getting the signal from the key to the solenoid in the first place.

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Can you read Input Signals to the alarm unit with your Foxwell?  (On PST2/PIWIS you can see if the remote buttons are being pressed).  Does it have a Drive Links function, so you can actuate the solenoid with the Foxwell? 

Unfortunately not, no. Only options are to read and clear codes (it's a 510 Elite).

10 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Where are you based ? Someone near you might have the right kit.

I'm in North Leeds.

Given that I've just had the key done by the OPC, I could theoretically call them back and say "it hasn't worked on the boot!" Might be able to get them to check it for free (I know, hold your laughter...)

9 minutes ago, PaulZR said:

I'm in North Leeds.

Given that I've just had the key done by the OPC, I could theoretically call them back and say "it hasn't worked on the boot!" Might be able to get them to check it for free (I know, hold your laughter...)

Don't ask, don't get but I'd be expecting a bill there for something they may view as additional diagnosis/work.