I'm looking for the part number for 986 1997

Kurt2023

47 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@Nobbie do you (still) have this part on yours?

I almost certainly do, but I’ve no idea where at the moment. It’s a 1999, so may not even fit.

I'm struggling with these parts variations.  Porsche a pretty through with their catalogue and unless the did some reworking of the roof latch in the first year of production that they haven't recorded where they have recorded other relevant model year changes and up issues, the only solution seem to be with Porsche themselves, or up issuing your car with @Nobbie's or my parts from later models.  I checked on Design 911 using a 1997-99 2.5 Boxster as the search and they list no other part for this trim cover.

I've given below the two parts drawings and the their associated parts listings (Items circled in red) which show no changes other than to the latch bracket from '02 onwards, nothing on the covers.  I was surprised that the covers were not on the same drawing as the latch bracket though and there's no drawing 901-03 in the downloadable 996 parts cat to double check that isn't different, but teh latch bracket is the same so it must be... 

When car manufacturers go rogue eh?  I'd love to get to the bottom of this as there must be at least two parts from early cars out there that are not listed.

7j13q95.jpeg 

EfnB1uD.jpeg 

y69eaNq.jpeg 

poB8Env.jpeg 

53 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I had to glue mine back in as they were loose.

It could be like my door pull cable.  They just don't sell it anymore, you have to change the whole system over.  Maybe it will need to be swapped with a whole new(used) unit.

Shame you can't conveniently pop yours out to check the number on them.

There is some info in the catalogue indicating the door pull cable changed in 04/98 and the old number isn't listed.

16 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I'm tempted just to pop one off anyway.  I'll have a look tomorrow, see if one will come off without damaging it, I don't want to have to find a replacement!!

At least you'll know the part number.

Thinking about it @Kurt2023, give Douglas Valley Breakers a call they are one of the largest breakers of Boxsters in the country and know them inside, out so if there are parts nuances like this for the earliest cars they'll sort you out.

7 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Ebay - £44 or best offer, free postage

I remember when i needed a new (secondhand one) that i ordered from Steve Strange via ebay and he rang me up to check the age of the car as i believe that the newer versions have a different number of switches or something like that. I would give him a ring (Douglas Valley Breakers) and check the new one will work with your car