I'm looking for the part number for 986 1997

Kurt2023

Guys, please help me identify the part number.

As it turned out, part number 996618212 does not fit.

This part is about 10% smaller than the part I'm looking for.

Снимок экрана 2024-04-27 в 4.40.40 PM.png

Снимок экрана 2024-04-27 в 4.39.45 PM.png

Edited by Kurt2023

• Kurt2023 changed the title to I'm looking for the part number for 986 1997

My bad, thought it was a different part number.

I would suggest call a Porsche parts dept with your vin and they will be able to confirm for you.

They will also post small parts and be cheaper than third party's for Porsche specific parts.

Edited by iborguk

That is the only part for the sensor cover, have another go at fitting it as it only goes in one way! £3.78 from Porsche!

• Thanks 1

@Kurt2023, firstly I'm sorry if you paid that much to Status Porsche for the part in the listing you've shown.  I'd return it for a refund for starters (distance selling regulations means you don't need a reason) and get one from Porsche for the price mentioned above.  Some breakers are higher priced for apparently rarer parts as even the £9 in the 9apart link @iborguk has shown is too high compared to a new one from Porsche!.  I'd need to check, but I might even have one in the shed that I'll pop in the post to you if you message me.

If you need a part post up on here first for advice on typical costs and good after market options.  A few of us are pretty handy with the Porsche parts catalogue and have also built up useful info on who makes the parts for Porsche to help save money but not skimp on quality running these cars.

Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

Edited by ½cwt

Thanks for answers! To begin with, I would like to summarize the results of the investigation:
1. Part number 996.618.212.02 does not fit the 1997 Porsche Boxster 996.
2. Perhaps this spare part is suitable, but for some reason it has decreased in size, since I did not receive it new. (I cannot attach other pictures proving this due to forum restrictions.)
3. Compatibility information for this part number 996.618.212.02 does not apply to the 1997 996 model.

Please 986 owners, take a picture of your part number to make things clearer.

I have checked the parts cat and 996 618 212 02 is the only part listed for both the 986 and 996 in this location.  There is no up issue or model year change given.  The part into which is fits is also unchanged up to 2002 model year.

All I can suggest is a conversation with the parts department at your local Porsche Centre to see if they can cast more light on this that the public domain documents don't cover 

4 hours ago, 999mch said:

Is it worth checking that your alarm unit hasn’t been changed to a newer version. Has that got a part number?

Even with the change to the unit the clip into in 2002, these covers did not change.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

As I suggested, go talk to Porsche because their parts catalogue (USA and RoW model versions) does not list any other option.  If you do get the correct part number please post here so I can add to my record of anomalies.

One thing I have noticed about owning a very early car (1996) is they have changed lots of parts, even just a few months in.  Eg,  Door actuators, roof motor and mechanism, door pull cables and handles.  I'm sure there are many more too.  

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

One thing I have noticed about owning a very early car (1996) is they have changed lots of parts, even just a few months in.  Eg,  Door actuators, roof motor and mechanism, door pull cables and handles.  I'm sure there are many more too.  

Most are well detailed in the parts catalogue.  This one seems to be an anomaly.

By the way even though built and registered in 1996 yours will be a 1997 model year car which is launch spec. as there is no 1996 model year.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Most are well detailed in the parts catalogue.  This one seems to be an anomaly.

By the way even though built and registered in 1996 yours will be a 1997 model year car which is launch spec. as there is no 1996 model year.

I'm aware of how model years work but thanks for mansplaining 🤣 

As mine was a demonstrator and not a customer car it's possible that they changed parts for public sale.  Hence why I noted the year.

58 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I'm aware of how model years work but thanks for mansplaining 🤣 

As mine was a demonstrator and not a customer car it's possible that they changed parts for public sale.  Hence why I noted the year.

More for the benefit of others reading than you as the owner.   Oh, and I'm also know as the forum pedant! 😉

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

with yours being such an early car, do you have that part, and does it have the same part number?

Long shot - If it is such an early car, would an equivalent 993 part exist?

17 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

with yours being such an early car, do you have that part, and does it have the same part number?

Long shot - If it is such an early car, would an equivalent 993 part exist?

I had to glue mine back in as they were loose.

It could be like my door pull cable.  They just don't sell it anymore, you have to change the whole system over.  Maybe it will need to be swapped with a whole new(used) unit.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Might be simpler and possibly not too costly. 

Now, I do have one of those top latch / alarm sensor fittings.