Tick tick boom!

fizz

I first knew of Badger5 in the late 90s or early 00s when Bill was doing throttle body kits for VAG cars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAZ said:

Was at Badger5 a couple of Sundays ago with another BoXa member and another club - loads of interest in what they do, and lots of great sounds coming out of the car they had on the rolling road and playing around with - think they have another open day on a Sunday in conjunction with Boho Bakery On Tour in August September time - 400 cars at the last meet - think I booked a ticket for it  😊

Sounds like a good bunch!

I have recently gone through a similar scenario with a 986.2 2.7, where I'd just spent £3k on a full suspension refresh a month before the engine died. I looked at many options and spoke to a couple of garages that built race cars:

- four pot BAM Audi TT conversion (bolts to the 5 speed). Ball park was £12-15k

- Audi V8 conversion (bolts to the 5 speed). Ball park was £15-20k

- 996 3.x conversion. Engines were several thousand alone compared to Audi and you still worry it will go bang...

- 986 2.7 new to me engine. Ball park £4-5k.

- Buy another one, transfer the parts and sell what's left.

In the end the other half didn't think my man maths worked out (V8 would be cool) so I went with the new to me 986 engine with some intake mods, new clutch, AOS, IMS, etc.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Randeep said:

I have recently gone through a similar scenario with a 986.2 2.7, where I'd just spent £3k on a full suspension refresh a month before the engine died. I looked at many options and spoke to a couple of garages that built race cars:

- four pot BAM Audi TT conversion (bolts to the 5 speed). Ball park was £12-15k

- Audi V8 conversion (bolts to the 5 speed). Ball park was £15-20k

- 996 3.x conversion. Engines were several thousand alone compared to Audi and you still worry it will go bang...

- 986 2.7 new to me engine. Ball park £4-5k.

- Buy another one, transfer the parts and sell what's left.

In the end the other half didn't think my man maths worked out (V8 would be cool) so I went with the new to me 986 engine with some intake mods, new clutch, AOS, IMS, etc.

Aye i saw you go through that process sadly and was wishing you the best! Thanks for the breakdown and thought process as i appreciate it and it's food for thought. 

So after @Nobbie kindly tagged me in his breaking breakdown of his car! 😛 

My preference of options is in this order.
1 - Find engine and swap if i can get it done for £3.5k to £4k max
2 - Break the car myself and try and recoup as much as i can from it. Maybe £3.5k at a push?
3 - Sell it as a project for £2.5k as is
4 - Sell it to a breakers yard for a lot less like £1.5k

See my comment in Nobbie's thread - ask around to check someone will take the carcass away for free after you've sold the lucrative bits. I thought they'd be more expensive but still if it's 500 quid then that is out of your revenue. It will give you a more realistic view of the possible outcome.

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

See my comment in Nobbie's thread - ask around to check someone will take the carcass away for free after you've sold the lucrative bits. I thought they'd be more expensive but still if it's 500 quid then that is out of your revenue. It will give you a more realistic view of the possible outcome.

i can always give local scrappers a ring to see if they would do the same as the people who took @Nobbie's chassis but yes good point. 

This is a depressing read.

last year I sold my daughters cat c or d, ( the least damaged) 987.1, 2.7 with a totally lunched engine for £2,500. ‘T’was a lovely condition car otherwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fizz said:

So after @Nobbie kindly tagged me in his breaking breakdown of his car! 😛 

My preference of options is in this order.
1 - Find engine and swap if i can get it done for £3.5k to £4k max
2 - Break the car myself and try and recoup as much as i can from it. Maybe £3.5k at a push?
3 - Sell it as a project for £2.5k as is
4 - Sell it to a breakers yard for a lot less like £1.5k

Came across this randomly the other day - seems very cheap for supply and fit (with exchange) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303897676156

Just head back from Performance Porsche Klassiker and the engine has eaten itself.. they took the oil filter out and it com full of metal and said the rods and internals are all shot. How much investigation they went into im not sure but said its its not repairable and will need a replacement engine. 

So now to try and find an alternate. 

@danb Appreciate that link mate. 

• Sad 8

18 hours ago, danb said:

Came across this randomly the other day - seems very cheap for supply and fit (with exchange) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303897676156

The usual catch is that once they have your engine apart they find it is not suitable for reconditioning and start adding charges for replacement parts. At that point, they have you over a barrel as what are you going to do, ask for your engine back in bits? 

Could be an Issue with the crankshaft on this one, so need to discuss this prior to giving them the engine and get it in writing. There are a lot of crooks in engine re manufacturing.

“If our technicians assess your vehicle as requiring extra work a member of our team will always contact you for authorisation/estimate prior to any works being carried out.

25 minutes ago, fizz said:

Just head back from Performance Porsche Klassiker and the engine has eaten itself.. they took the oil filter out and it com full of metal and said the rods and internals are all shot. How much investigation they went into im not sure but said its its not repairable and will need a replacement engine. 

Guessing it was IMS then. Spun rod bearing wouldn't do that much damage. Daresay pistons hit valves etc. 😞 So these places that fit you a recon motor for 3k expect an undamaged engine back in return. Presemably if you don't have that the price goes up considerably.

Edited by Ninesomething

10 minutes ago, Ninesomething said:

Guessing it was IMS then. Spun rod bearing wouldn't do that much damage. Daresay pistons hit valves etc. 😞 So these places that fit you a recon motor for 3k expect an undamaged engine back in return. Presemably if you don't have that the price goes up considerably.

My factory reconditioned engine had a rod’s large bearing fail - the subsequent damage affected every combustion chamber as well as breaking pieces off the crank case castings.

To be clear - I am not saying this isn’t a IMSB collapse however it isn’t the only failure mode that produces this sort of catastrophic damage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fizz said:

@Sanky you toe rag... you really have got me thinking now... 

He just sent me this and said... maybe an option...

2003 Grey Porsche Boxster 3.2 986 S Tiptronic S 2dr for sale for £4,950 in Keighley, West Yorkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Yes cos you could break that and get 2500 easy and so a replacement engine costs about 2500. Man maths at their finest 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fizz said:

Didn’t sound that bad when I heard it but I guess it was a lot worse when you pulled over for the service pickup.. 

Hartech might be an option?

10 minutes ago, fewtrees said:

Didn’t sound that bad when I heard it but I guess it was a lot worse when you pulled over for the service pickup.. 

Hartech might be an option?

Yeah it got a lot worse later and was struggling to stay running at some points. 

2 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Bow out until saved up enough for a 987.2 with the 9A1 engine

But why go backwards to a 987?

Makes. No. Sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, fizz said:

@Sanky you toe rag... you really have got me thinking now... 

He just sent me this and said... maybe an option...

2003 Grey Porsche Boxster 3.2 986 S Tiptronic S 2dr for sale for £4,950 in Keighley, West Yorkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

It’s good man maths, plus being a tiptronic hopefully would have had easier life.