DVLA can't tax my Boxster!

On Friday I noticed that my Boxster was 2 weeks overdue for road tax. Was worried enough to declare it SORN, but before doing so I called the DVLA and asked them if I did so, would it affect taxing the vehicle online if I needed to do so within the next few days.

No was the reply.

So I duly declared it SORN and got the MOT sorted out today (Tuesday)

Just been online to tax the car and guess what .... There is a pending transaction so it is not possible.

Rang DVLA to be told there has to be 5 dYs between declaring SORN and taxing the vehicle.

BUT .... If I go to the post office with all my documents they will tax the vehicle no problem!

That is well and good but it is 5pm and the car is 20 miles away with the new MOT certificate in the glovebox. Useful huh?

So this evening the car has to be garages otherwise my insurance is null and void. So DVLA leaves me with no choice but to drives the vehicle illegally this evening and then to the post office in the morning,

Thanks very much you bunch of mindless *****

:suicide_anim:

I believe (it's on the DVLA website I think) it is legal to drive a carcwirh no tax in order to get tax.

Did the mindless ***** forget to send you a reminder too? :laughingsmiley:

Remembering wasn't the issue ... Had a number of items to do on the car before MOT time which needed another pay day before doing so. If the windscreen replacement hadn't taken so long to get done, the car would have only been a few days over but when you get to 2 weeks, it's time to SORN.

It boils down to one computer system not talking to another. You are screwed basically unless you declare the car SORN for more than 5 days.

@ Spyderman :You CANNOT drive the car withour Tax in order to get it taxed.

Your insurance will not be void if you drive an insured car if the tax has expired. What you are liable for is driving an untaxed vehicle. Your insurance will remain intact.

Job done. Car a safely in garage, so post office tomorrow it will have to be.

Yes, apologies, it is the MoT situation that you can do - that is mentioned on the DVLA website.

Archived