Insurance, its not that simple and costs so much more.

T24RES

I was rather hoping that i would be able to add my new purchase to the other vehicles in the household without too much fuss or lottery premium prices. This has not been the case.

A brief set of circumstances - I passed my test in 1985 i have driven since that time not making a claim once. I am a policy holder on a VW Sharan, my good lady uses it for her childcare business and it has served us well for 10years. Mrs T24 is the policy holder for a Range Rover with similar driving experience , named on each others policy.

So this is the scene, contact both our insurance sponsors - one tells me they can mirror my no claims, then quotes me almost £100 more than a brand new policy on the net with 0yrs NCB . suicide_anim.gif The other with a fancy scheme won't cover all the cars due to her indoors being a self-employed minder of kids. We were only after business use on the Sharan, kids are not allowed in anything else.

Strewth, back to the internet for one of those multicar policies. What a con that is breakpc2.gif

Wasted an age on the phone and ended up with an elephant bangheadox8.gif

Long story short the Box has cost me £560 to insure, feel like i'm 18years old insuring the Mk1 3000 GXL facelift again.

I do hope the Box will be kind to me in the coming months.......

Have you insured it yet? I had a similar problem, a couple of years ago, and BeWiser got me a mirror policy with Aviva, even though I didn't have any cars with BeWiser at the time - they just needed a copy of my last proof of NCB.

If you passed in '85, then I guess you're only a few years younger than me, and you're about £100-£150 shy of what I would expect to pay. Have you thought of changing a policy with full NCB to the Boxster, then taking out anew policy on the now un-insured car which I would think will be in a lower group?

BTW, have you tried any of the forum sponsors? Direct isn't always best, and brokers will often be able to search for something better.

I did try two of the sponsors, very disappointed.

I did attempt to convert the full NCB to the box, this ended up being dearer by £30, and my existing company wanted to cancel current policy and start the two from today, lose lose situation.

Insurance renewal is hard work every year isn't it. Good luck searching.

I've had the renewal quote in from forum sponsor - lets call them "B" and apparently its £100more than last year as the insurer is loading premiums that include commuting... (I have limited 3k miles and really only like commuting in the Boxster when the weather is good). Apparently if I take off commuting it drops to about £450.

So I've obtained a quote from insurer...ummm, call them "A" and he's at £350 including commuting. But I'd have to forgoe the track day cover. That can't be much to buy separately I'm thinking.

tried Porsche insurance AKA Marsh Private clients...I've been with them for the last 4/5 years and the premium hasnt really risen. I currently have 10000 business miles stated on the polcy too and renewal was around £560 I think, and its not shy of some good features (unlike a lot of the shyatee you'll get on comparison websites)

Increased premium for commuting? WTF is this - CEO anything to do with Ryan Air?

If you have a car you want to commute, Majority of people have to go to work, what TF is the point of having a car that doesnt include use for going to work!!!!!

I know the replies will say by commuting at peak times there is a greater risk of a claim but then why do they reduce premiums if you put additional drivers on the policy - thereby increasing the risk of a claim by the car being used more because more than one driver has access.

They make it all up

But I'd have to forgoe the track day cover. That can't be much to buy separately I'm thinking.

I'd check that out first.

I have had various policies including TD cover over the years, some just included in policy price and some where you pay extra per day.

I never managed to find an 'affordable' track day stand alone option - you may have more success but check before you commit if TD cover is important to you.

Increased premium for commuting? WTF is this - CEO anything to do with Ryan Air?

If you have a car you want to commute, Majority of people have to go to work, what TF is the point of having a car that doesnt include use for going to work!!!!!

I know the replies will say by commuting at peak times there is a greater risk of a claim but then why do they reduce premiums if you put additional drivers on the policy - thereby increasing the risk of a claim by the car being used more because more than one driver has access.

They make it all up

I very much agree. Along with the non-fault incident that they are now charging £60 P/A for. Horses and masks spring to mind, Oi 'Mr Turpin'!

I'm about to reinsure my 986 S with Aviva.

I'm 39, driving since 1990 no accidents, clean license.

They came in at £550 - cheaper than anyone on comparison sites. This is with 20,000 miles p/a including business use.

The clincher was that one of their standard repair centres, is a local Porsche approved repair centre.

Teknow - thats impressive - a good deal (Cheaper price than comparison sites, business use, 20K per yr and OPC repair centre)

They will be kicking themselves - they will have you next year

T24res - I cant understand either why a premium is raised with a no blame claim as the other party paid all the costs so to your company nothing changed.

If you can get in writing from your insurrer that your premium has been raised by £60 because of the no blame claim then you can approach the other driver and ask for the £60 or you take them to the small claims court to recover it as this is a legal definition of "damages"

The actions of the other driver was negligent and that negligence resulted in a monetary cost of £60. (The costs of the small claims court are also recoverable with your £60)

Alternatively, you can ask your insurrer (if you have legal cover) to recover the additional premium from the others insurrance as all the costs of a claim should be settled by the party who was responsible - thats what they were insurred for.

The story was this, driving the FFRR see an X5 travelling toward me. Not enough room, i stop, driver continues and catches the mirror. My glass is broken, their glass is broken. Driver goes spastic, declares its my fault. No way Jose! They attempt to claim, unsuccessfully. No independents and they try and teach me to suck eggs. They find out what i do for a job and complain about my poor attitude.

Anyway, nothing gets paid out either way. Then i found out come renewal time that the matter is declared as "Non fault incident". And that will be an extra £60 per policy for the next three years.

I was a little pi**ed to say the least. I thought my outfit could screw the motorist for their hard earned but insurance companies take the biscuit.

Don't suppose it helps, but I'm like Mike, current insurer wants £130 more than last year as I occasionally commute, Best on confused is £120 less than last year (but no TD cover), that's £250 difference. So, no I shall not be renewing, and actually how come the Boxster is only £20 more than my old diesel estate?

Maybe I'm just old.

Archived