Maker approved bodyshop -v- insurers approved bodyshop

Boxob

Daughter has had an accident - noone injured and not her fault. It is an insurance claim. Insurance company would like the car taken to one of their approved bodyshops but they are not maker approved. I would like the car repaired at a maker approved bodyshop (warrenty concern) but whilst the insurer is happy for me to do that they not will in guarantee/insure the repair as they do not have a contract with them. They do have maker approved bodyshop on the list but not local.

Should I use their approved bodyshop?

Should I use the local maker approved bodyshop?

Should I travel to their approved maker approved body shop?

Views please.....

I would expect them to but how many times have we heard/read of bodyshop's denying liability for problems they have caused which would put me (its my car) into a wraggling situation with them. If the insurer's bodyshop gets it wrong they presumably have to deal with the insurer not just me but the warrenty is then forfeit.

Would bodywork repairs, provided they are up to the accredited standard, not be treated similarly to mechanical repairs as regards a factory warranty.

I would suggest contact the main dealer and ask for confirmation of approval or not in writing.

I checked with the maker and if the accident repairs are not carried out by one of their approved bodyshops then the 10 year body rust warrenty is forfeit. I am therefore travelling to the bodyshop which is approved by both the maker and insurer. Thanks both for your comments.

Make sure the bodyshop is ATA accredited this means they 'should' work to all Thatcham/manufacturer approved repair methods .

I checked with the maker and if the accident repairs are not carried out by one of their approved bodyshops then the 10 year body rust warrenty is forfeit. I am therefore travelling to the bodyshop which is approved by both the maker and insurer. Thanks both for your comments.

This is exactly what I would do. Don't give them an excuse not to stand by it or pay out.

either way if your car insurance has 'legal' on it then there should some help if you had to pursue a party on it...PITA either way if there is an issue...

added note I think you have to have the bodywork inspected every other year after an approved accident repair so that the 10 year manufacturer's body warranty is maintained (even if an approved centre does work)...think that's what it shows in Porsche service record book anyway...you didn't say who the manufacturer was mind, so maybe it's different

Archived