How to: 986 DIY Brake disks, pads and fluid

Tin Pot

Okay, as mentioned in other thread I'll build a howto for novices like myself.

Post your contributions below and I'll update his post along the way, I expect to execute the work over Christmas/New Year

Kit needed:

Jack

2 Tonne Axle stands

Screwdriver

Wheel wrench 

Draining 

Material needed:

Pads

Disks

Brake fluid (type?)

Isopropyl alcohol (recommended by Pelican parts)

---

Bugger, out of time, will update tomorrow.

A calliper piston spreader is useful, but you can often improvise with a large G Clamp or similar.............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Brake-Disc-Piston-Pad-Spreader-Seperator-Car-Caliper-Hand-Tool-New-/311126411235?hash=item48709447e3:g:zicAAOSwU9xUN6d6

3 hours ago, m500mol said:

A calliper piston spreader is useful, but you can often improvise with a large G Clamp or similar.............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Brake-Disc-Piston-Pad-Spreader-Seperator-Car-Caliper-Hand-Tool-New-/311126411235?hash=item48709447e3:g:zicAAOSwU9xUN6d6

I thought the pads could just be knocked out with a bit of effort?

6 hours ago, m500mol said:

yes but to fit the new ones you need to push the pistons back in which is where this tool helps

6 hours ago, m500mol said:

yes but to fit the new ones you need to push the pistons back in which is where this tool helps

Large screwdriver can be used to lever the pistons back into the caliper.

7 hours ago, spyderman8 said:

Some say that you should replace the piston calliper seals at 50k miles.

As a previous poster said, you can go broke doing preventative maintenance!!!! I've not seen that in any service schedule, but I guess if you were tracking the car it wouldn't be a bad thing. 

You will need a 10mm allen/hex key/socket to remove the caliper bolts & a punch to drive out the pin that holds the pads in if you havent got those on your list already.

HTH

Brake Cleaner - Lots of it

Copper Grease - this will make any future work easy (it goes onto all mating surfaces, EXCEPT the pads and disks mating surfaces - spread it thin tho)

Easibleed and/or someone to pump the pedal when bleeding

2 litres Brake Fluid (you might as well flush all the old out - start bleeding with the caliper which is furthest from the Master Cylinder)

Be very careful when loosening of the Bleed nipple - they have a tendency to snap off and then you are in poop.

5 hours ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

You will need a 10mm allen/hex key/socket to remove the caliper bolts...

And if you do, you're supposed to replace them - and use a torque wrench to do them up.

Here it is:

Bought all new seals and bleed nipples for both fronts from biggred - £38 delivered

Seal kit was not on their search engine, their part number is: 4021

nipples (M10x1.0x30)

BiggRed

01905-428793

or search ebay (biggred4u)

DOT 4 or 5.1 fully synthetic - not DOT 5! From experience, the Porsche stuff is a bit cr*p - recommend Motul RBF660, or if you're feeling particularly flush (saw what I did there?) Castrol SRF React.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-fluid-clutch-fluid.aspx

Chris.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Southy said:

Thanks for posting those videos I'll check them and and let you know.

Cheers

Ok mate just checked one of your videos, thats pretty good work, very well done. I think we need to link all your videos here somewhere as they are great.

Thanks Southy, it means a lot to have someone think your stuff is good - makes the hard work worth it.  I'll be posting the rest of my video guides in the next few days.  If you have any suggestions for new ones to do I'm all ears. 

1 hour ago, vroomba said:

Thanks Southy, it means a lot to have someone think your stuff is good - makes the hard work worth it.  I'll be posting the rest of my video guides in the next few days.  If you have any suggestions for new ones to do I'm all ears. 

Don't worry mate I'm sure once people see your videos they will come up with some ideas.

Off the top of my head, how about one to show how to put the roof into service mode so you can access the engine and one showing how to access the serpentine belt and it's layout (recently did the belt change myself and could have done with a quick video).

Archived