I test drove the new 718S today......

RBD914 v2

32 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

It`s only a car..........and if me talking "cr*p" offends you then hey ho, I`m not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Have you preempted a post that hasn't arrived, or has something been deleted that I cannot find? :huh: 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Your post to me came across as if I had offended readers by not hailing to that mighty god Porsche by daring to blaspheme the 981 2.7 by calling it a base model that`s all.

In that case it's not just you as the term is widely used.

Technically you are right as there is no lower model than the 2.7 so it must be at the base.  However I think the point that R1 made was that as the 2.7 is so accomplished, does it deserve the 'base' moniker? 

It's not as if it has an asthmatic engine that struggles to pull the weight of the car body around, let alone people and luggage on board, akin to some 'base' models from other manufacturers.

3 minutes ago, Araf said:

In that case it's not just you as the term is widely used.

Technically you are right as there is no lower model than the 2.7 so it must be at the base.  However I think the point that R1 made was that as the 2.7 is so accomplished, does it deserve the 'base' moniker? 

It's not as if it has an asthmatic engine that struggles to pull the weight of the car body around, let alone people and luggage on board, akin to some 'base' models from other manufacturers.

Quite, and at least Porsche doesn't suffer the "suffix inflation" that afflicts other manufacturers.  

IIRC, "base" BMW's are called "SE", which stands for what, exactly? "Standard Equipment", I guess, although they'll never call it that!

When my 981 misbehaved last year, I had a loaner from Porsche Assistance that was, wait for it, a:

"BMW 320d xDrive M Sport Saloon Efficient Dynamics"

Just as well it wasn't badged as such, otherwise they would have needed a wider bootlid...

1 hour ago, Araf said:

In that case it's not just you as However I think the point that R1 made was that as the 2.7 is so accomplished, does it deserve the 'base' 

This... :withstupid:

it was actually a compliment in to how accomplished the car is....

And considering I don't own one... Why the hell would I be offended :laugh:

8 hours ago, GTB981 said:

The only negatives I could find were that they have swapped the shift pattern on the gear stick when in manual

I didnt notice this? Sure it was standard 'H' pattern when I drove them on the Silverstone experience. 

I think you took it the wrong way. R1 was just trying to say that the Boxster is so good that no model Boxster should be called just a "base".  But hey,...on the other side, who cares if people refer to it as a "base" model? I'd love to have a "base" F430 Ferrari even if I can't have the Scuderia version. :) 

Archived