I test drove the new 718S today......

RBD914 v2

I think the 718 looks OK but I agree with comments on here about a lack of character for that kind of money I'd want  something with a little more flare/flamboyance, but that's  just my opinion 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

having followed this thread, I wonder if Porsche have missed a trick here....

the problem is that they are trying to market the 718 as a new car, yet it looks just like a 981.2

they should have invested a little more and made it look like a completely new car too - a stunning piece of visual design is all that would have been necessary :-)  because most people buy for looks - 

Porsche should then have discontinued the Boxster

this would have sufficiently differentiated the car for 981 and other Boxster owners to consider it as a different car, and would have meant that the Boxster line instantly becomes a 'classic'.

IMHO, or course....

3 hours ago, Jonnyspin said:

having followed this thread, I wonder if Porsche have missed a trick here....

the problem is that they are trying to market the 718 as a new car, yet it looks just like a 981.2

they should have invested a little more and made it look like a completely new car too - a stunning piece of visual design is all that would have been necessary :-)  because most people buy for looks - 

Porsche should then have discontinued the Boxster

this would have sufficiently differentiated the car for 981 and other Boxster owners to consider it as a different car, and would have meant that the Boxster line instantly becomes a 'classic'.

IMHO, or course....

As I see it the problem Porsche has always had is that Porsche enthusiasts are in the main traditionalists. The 911 has been around for what seems like forever and whilst it has evolved  from the original to what is now, totally different cars, to the man in the street it's a Porsche 911. So, leaving aside the very successful move into the SUV market with the Cayenne and Macan, look at the attempt to supersede the 911 with the 928, it failed. Then there are the comings and goings of the 914, 924 and 944. The 911 is traditionally the image of Porsche and that brings me to the Boxster.

The Boxster is credited with saving Porsche and with its success I believe Porsche realised they had a "911" situation. Enthusiasts love the car and any changes had to be subtle, the 986 evolved slowly into the 987. Until I sat and drove a 987 I hadn't appreciated the marked change to the 986. But, to my friends at first sight my 987 looked no different to my old 986. The introduction of the 981 showed a car with bodily changes but again unless your an enthusiast it looked the same as a 987. To be honest when a Porsche is coming towards me head on I find it difficult at a distance to recognise if it's a 911 or a Boxster and then what type?. So Porsche has maintained with both the 911 and Boxster "it's different but looks the same" evolution criteria.

Which bring in the 718 Boxster. IMO Porsche recognised the Boxster aficionado is a traditionalist, look at the hoohaa over the change from flat 6 NA to turbo flat 4. To my eye the 981 and 718 look very similar and whilst I'm not keen on the air intakes I'm not clear where the "Halford" jibes come from. Bringing in a completely new model and discontinuing the Boxster as Johnnyspin suggests, would IMO be Porsche shooting them selves in the foot. They have a very successful formula and an image that works, why change it to risk another 928/911 scenario?

8 minutes ago, Pothole said:

Given that Porsche is in the process of dumping the 'Boxster' brand entirely, the analogy with the 911 doesn't really work.

First I've heard that they are dumping the Boxster brand, if so why is it called the 718 Boxster?http://www.porsche.com/microsite/718/UK.aspx#homej

47 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

As I see it the problem Porsche has always had is that Porsche enthusiasts are in the main traditionalists. The 911 has been around for what seems like forever and whilst it has evolved  from the original to what is now, totally different cars, to the man in the street it's a Porsche 911. So, leaving aside the very successful move into the SUV market with the Cayenne and Macan, look at the attempt to supersede the 911 with the 928, it failed. Then there are the comings and goings of the 914, 924 and 944. The 911 is traditionally the image of Porsche and that brings me to the Boxster.

The Boxster is credited with saving Porsche and with its success I believe Porsche realised they had a "911" situation. Enthusiasts love the car and any changes had to be subtle, the 986 evolved slowly into the 987. Until I sat and drove a 987 I hadn't appreciated the marked change to the 986. But, to my friends at first sight my 987 looked no different to my old 986. The introduction of the 981 showed a car with bodily changes but again unless your an enthusiast it looked the same as a 987. To be honest when a Porsche is coming towards me head on I find it difficult at a distance to recognise if it's a 911 or a Boxster and then what type?. So Porsche has maintained with both the 911 and Boxster "it's different but looks the same" evolution criteria.

Which bring in the 718 Boxster. IMO Porsche recognised the Boxster aficionado is a traditionalist, look at the hoohaa over the change from flat 6 NA to turbo flat 4. To my eye the 981 and 718 look very similar and whilst I'm not keen on the air intakes I'm not clear where the "Halford" jibes come from. Bringing in a completely new model and discontinuing the Boxster as Johnnyspin suggests, would IMO be Porsche shooting them selves in the foot. They have a very successful formula and an image that works, why change it to risk another 928/911 scenario?

Spot on.

11 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

First I've heard that they are dumping the Boxster brand, if so why is it called the 718 Boxster?http://www.porsche.com/microsite/718/UK.aspx#homej

It's called the 718 'Boxster' because we are very likely at step one of a two step process where 'Boxster' and 'Cayman' are dropped when the all-new car comes out in about four years.

Already, Porsche is unifying the two cars in terms of branding on its website:

Capture.JPG

Simply '718'.

I think the retention of .Cayman' and 'Boxster' at this stage is pretty clearly a measure to help customers more easily understand where the car sits in the range and how it's a successor to those models. That link won't need to be made any longer with the next car.

Put another way, Porsche is very, very, very clearly making a big investment in the new '718' brand!

Meanwhile, the Cayman has been repositioned below the Boxster and this time around it doesn't have distinct styling - ie bumpers - from the Boxster. it's very much coupe and roadster 718 models, just like coupe and cab 911.

It's almost unthinkable that they would do all of the above and not drop the 'Boxster' and 'Cayman' brands with the next new model. Literally everything points to Boxster and Cayman brands being dropped.

Well, they were limited in their options. All the internal hardpoints were remaining the same, it's not a new car. The rear is a pretty major change.

I didn't like the 718 Box at all when it was revealed. However, while this makes no sense, I actually really like the 718 Cayman. Contrary to comments above, for me it's the 981 that looks Japanese / Asian market to my eye. The 718 has rounded off some of the edges and made the headlights less angular. Overall, it's looks a little more Porsche and a little less angular.

FQ==.jpg

Porsche-718-Cayman-10-1024x683.jpg

I never liked the rear clusters on the 981 and while the glossy strip across the back of the 718 is pretty dubious, overall I prefer it to the rear of the 981 by some margin.

20 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

you are probably correct, I think the point is if you are new to the Boxster or moving from an older model the the change is more significant and much more justifiable for the move...like I said not a bad car, just not different enough for a 981 owner.

Hope you enjoy your's though...make sure to post some pics when you get it :)

Hi boxsternob56  Thanks for that, I've enjoyed every Boxster I've driven.All great cars nothing in the same class that can compare IMHO. Had a good look round back in February this year but  ordered a replacement for my 2002 Boxster [bought new by me] for anther Boxster. Will  have to learn how to post some pics when the car arrives sometime in July.

Nice to read some honest reviews from people who have tried it rather than those dismissing it because it looks 'halfords' or is missing two cylinders.

It's interesting to hear peoples opinion on the 718 styling, I've not seen one up close in the flesh yet, but to me I prefer the looks in the photos I've seen of it to the 981, while obviously still not as good looking as a 986 :)

I remember most of the 987 owners at the time saying that the 981 was not a patch on the 987, but we have lots of 981 owners on here now who seem to like it, and now have the same opinion of the 718 vs 981, as the 987 owners did 981 vs 987.

The whole F6 vs F4 thing is emotional, and it seems that the styling issue is too, i.e. many people don't look at the 718 fairly, because they've recently heavily invested in a 981, both financially and emotionally.

Ho hum.

I don't remember a large number of 987 owners slating the 981 when it was launched, perhaps you can point me at the thread.

Just because something is new it doesn't mean that it's better or that people that think that it's not better are wrong. They just disagree with the people that like the new. I am absolutely sure that the 718 is a fantastic car - I just happen to prefer the outgoing model.

For me it has absolutely nothing to do with having invested in a 981 and therefore automatically taking a dislike to the newer model, that would just  be silly.

I think the level if reaction about the new 718 is telling though.

51 minutes ago, topradio said:

I don't remember a large number of 987 owners slating the 981 when it was launched, perhaps you can point me at the thread.

Just because something is new it doesn't mean that it's better or that people that think that it's not better are wrong. They just disagree with the people that like the new. I am absolutely sure that the 718 is a fantastic car - I just happen to prefer the outgoing model.

For me it has absolutely nothing to do with having invested in a 981 and therefore automatically taking a dislike to the newer model, that would just  be silly.

I think the level if reaction about the new 718 is telling though.

I agree with that...the fact it has 4 cylinders doesn't really bother me...and I came from a 987 to the 981 too...

I come from a 986 to a 987 and finally a 981 over a 13 year period so believe I can speak with some experience. Whilst some may have a preference over one marque or another each Boxster has IMO been an improvement on its predecessor. Unless you have driven each car for the length of time you can not IMO make an objective comparison and I have an open mine on the 718 until I drive it.

Just read the first write up I've seen on the 2ltr. Boxster. Its in this mornings Autocar website. Having had a couple of drives in both cars I came to a similar conclusion as the tester.

5 hours ago, ians said:

Just read the first write up I've seen on the 2ltr. Boxster. Its in this mornings Autocar website. Having had a couple of drives in both cars I came to a similar conclusion as the tester.

interesting

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/boxster-spyder/first-drives/2016-porsche-718-boxster-review

Archived