I test drove the new 718S today......

RBD914 v2

ian,

I guess it depends what you are comparing it to...do you have a 986/987 or 981?

It's not a bad car at all, I think I just prefer the 981...well prefer the engine in the 981 to sum up.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/10/2016 at 8:48 PM, Jon61 said:

I think you mean Macan, Thanatoid - a Macon is a type of white burgundy, so 3 litres of it would probably have made you unfit to drive ;)

One of the follow on vids after the 718 racer was for the Macan, some of the comments after that pointed out the Indonesian word for Tiger - which Porsche claim the Macan is, is pronounced Ma-chan anyway :-) 

Tomato tomaato :-)

1 hour ago, boxsternoob56 said:

ian,

I guess it depends what you are comparing it to...do you have a 986/987 or 981?

It's not a bad car at all, I think I just prefer the 981...well prefer the engine in the 981 to sum up.

I sold my 986 having owned it for 14 yrs. Easter this year. So a big gab in performance. I've driven 981 Boxsters  as recent as last month and loved them. I was just suggesting that had you had the chance of testing the car in better weather you might have enjoyed the car a little more. As you say there isn't enough between the cars to spend £30 grand on a 718. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 981 for many as I enjoyed my 986 for 14yrs. It evens up the loss cash wise over so many years.

3 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Everyone brings up the flat six heritage and all that but no one mentions that the original 718 was a flat four as with the 550.

The Boxster has always had a flat six engine :rolleyes:

None of us are old enough to have experienced the original that Porsche decided to brand this recent incarnation of the Boxster.  We are all lucky enough to enjoy the flat 6, more so those with PSE ! 

22 minutes ago, topradio said:

23 minutes ago, Patt said:

None of us are old enough to have experienced the original that Porsche decided to brand this recent incarnation of the Boxster.  We are all lucky enough to enjoy the flat 6, more so those with PSE ! 

+1

Yes I think branding the new model as a 718 is frankly a bit of a stretch. A much more appropriate model name/number (IMHO) would have been a 984.

51 minutes ago, topradio said:

Well possibly only because that was what was available at the time and the cost saving from sharing a design with the 911.

If you look back and think for a minute that the boxster is an evolution of the mid engined line of porsches not the rear engined  then my point is valid  - these were originally flat fours so it's in keeping with the 'heritage'. 

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

Everyone brings up the flat six heritage and all that but no one mentions that the original 718 was a flat four as with the 550.

Actually, people have been going on about the old flat four cars endlessly in response to the new 718 launch, but they are missing the point for a lot of us who mourn the passing of the flat-six. I don't mourn the passing of the flat six because of the heritage angle. I couldn't give the slightest t*ss about the heritage.

I mourn the passing of the flat six because I love the flat six and far prefer to flat fours for sound track - including the likes of a 718 RS60 as per the new Petrolicious video.

That the old 718 existed makes no difference to whether the new engine in the modern 718 is nice or not. If it's nice or if you like it, great. If you don't like it, the fact that Porsche made a few flat-four racers 50 years ago - or any number of flat four production cars down the years - won't make a blind bit of difference to what the new flat four engine is like.

Ultimately, the heritage is a load of b*ll*cks however you slice it. Take the car on its merits right now. If you like the new engine, genuinely that will be great for you. Just don't take any notice of the heritage angle. It doesn't make the new car any better or worse to drive.

+1 to Pothole.

It's a marketing department clutching at straws to justify a HUGE change, and it would seem a lot of enthusiast can/will not see it as a change for the best.

It's that sound that puts the smile on my face every day.  Not even all on here are the same, else we would all have PSE / bypass mods and rate it more than even "n" rated tyres..  However I'm willing to bet the majority of owners still appreciate the flat six on song, even if they rarely hear it or use it for the full rev range.

I've had faster cars, more expensive cars, faster accelerating cars, better handling, even flashier cars...but none ever give me that smile every time I drive like a Porsche does. And I couldn't own one without the PSE - that became clear the first test drive.

49 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Well possibly only because that was what was available at the time and the cost saving from sharing a design with the 911.

If you look back and think for a minute that the boxster is an evolution of the mid engined line of porsches not the rear engined  then my point is valid  - these were originally flat fours so it's in keeping with the 'heritage'. 

But the Boxster isn't "an evolution of the mid-engined line of Porsches". 

It's on a shared platform with the modern 911 and has absolutely nothing to do with cars like the old 718. Porsche can and will go hard and heavy with the heritage marketing angle. But it's ultimately irrelevant. Porsche used to make cars with about 50hp - so would a 50hp Boxster be a great new 'heritage' model? Nope. And neither is the flat four automatically a good thing.

Like I said, the heritage angle is utterly meaningless in terms of whether the new car and engine is any good. That's not to say the flat four is automatically a bad thing. Some may like it. But take it on its merits and ignore the heritage fluff.

Bottom line is nobody wanted a 4 cylinder engine. it was something they had to do for emissions and to be able to make more power. theres only so much you can do with engine size. so they had to change so why not try to tap into the old heritage. All marketing.

17 minutes ago, mickemo said:

Parking up  the 4 vs 6 debate for a moment, is it just me or have they made the 718 look....well a bit Halfords/Max Power esp the front spoiler & side vents?

. Yes, I agree it might be you.

I feel a bit of a minority here, as when I tried the 981 after my 987.1, and after everyone else on this board raved about it, I really couldn't see what the fuss was about. I found the experience rather underwhelming / anaesthatised, rather sedate for a sports car. As for Halfords - I never liked the over-fussy rear lights and spoiler of the 981, I remember predicting one of the first aftermarket options out would be to remove those.

Ha! Waddo I know? :D

ians is getting his at some point, and I guess a few more members will join with them. As above, sounds like it'll be the air/watercooled discussion all over again...

Everyone draws the line in a different place.

However, what the 718 might do is give 981 guys who can't understand why anyone might prefer a 987, and ditto 987 guys re a 986, some insight.

The 718 is clearly a lot faster and objectively more capable than a 981. But that doesn't automatically make it more enjoyable. 981 owners who feel the 718 loses something despite being objectively more capable might therefore understand the same can apply for 981 versus 987 and 987 versus 986 - and indeed 718 versus 986. Etc!

I have a 987, but I can totally understand why someone might prefer the more natural and transparent drive of a 986. Even the 987 is a little filtered, anaesthetised and synthetic, let alone a 981 or 718.

But then the 981 does things the 987 can't do and the 718 likewise versus a 981.

In the end, it's a compromise. There are pros and cons to all these cars. 987s are probably the sweet spot for me, but there are plenty of things I don't like about 987s and plenty of things I prefer in the other models.

4 hours ago, Jon61 said:

+1

Yes I think branding the new model as a 718 is frankly a bit of a stretch. A much more appropriate model name/number (IMHO) would have been a 984.

Porsche 984 below :)

Porsche-984-1.jpg

Oh thanks Southy, I didn't know about that one.

And Pothole - that is a very sensible and reasoned summing up.

... What place has that on here?! :laugh:

18 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

it reminded me of the way a Diesel engine sounds

I said the exact same thing to the dealer after my drive.  Weather was glorious so only noticed it when the hood was up.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I feel a bit of a minority here, as when I tried the 981 after my 987.1, and after everyone else on this board raved about it, I really couldn't see what the fuss was about. I found the experience rather underwhelming / anaesthatised, rather sedate for a sports car. As for Halfords - I never liked the over-fussy rear lights and spoiler of the 981, I remember predicting one of the first aftermarket options out would be to remove those.

And replace them with an even more fussy rear end from Halfords ;)

5 hours ago, mickemo said:

Parking up  the 4 vs 6 debate for a moment, is it just me or have they made the 718 look....well a bit Halfords/Max Power esp the front spoiler & side vents?

I just don't think the front end has much character to it, it reminds me of a S2000 around the lights for some reason, just very bland. At least the 718 isn't in my price range, so I've just got to decide between 986 and 987 :D

I agree with your comments re the front end looking more Japanese and generic, the back end is far to fussy and over-styled too, also what were they thinking with those horrid side air vents???

For me the knowledge that my "prestige £70,000 sports car" has a measly 4 cylinders is just unacceptable!

I don't give a fig about it's heritage nor how fast or powerful it is, I expect more cylinders for my money, simples!

To compound that by spoiling the styling of the exterior is sacrilege! 

My tin hat is firmly on....I'll get my coat!

11 hours ago, ians said:

I sold my 986 having owned it for 14 yrs. Easter this year. So a big gab in performance. I've driven 981 Boxsters  as recent as last month and loved them. I was just suggesting that had you had the chance of testing the car in better weather you might have enjoyed the car a little more. As you say there isn't enough between the cars to spend £30 grand on a 718. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 981 for many as I enjoyed my 986 for 14yrs. It evens up the loss cash wise over so many years.

you are probably correct, I think the point is if you are new to the Boxster or moving from an older model the the change is more significant and much more justifiable for the move...like I said not a bad car, just not different enough for a 981 owner.

Hope you enjoy your's though...make sure to post some pics when you get it :)

Archived