I test drove the new 718S today......

RBD914 v2

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or perhaps they reduced the "enjoyment" of the Boxster and Cayman to re-define the 911 as the best in breed....

I just love a conspiracy theory :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Currently have a 718 sat on the drive.  I return it tomorrow, will share my 2p then.

In the meantime, this one is Agate Grey with a RED interior.....I mean, come on, who in their right mind has a RED interior  @boxsternoob56  ;):D 

photos?

12 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Did u get to drive it on your own for 2 hrs or did you have the salesman with you?

Anytime I have test driven a Porsche the salesman has never came. Test drove the new 991.2, (if you want to hear a boring sounding car even with sports exhaust try this, its dire)and took my mate and he test drove also, neither of u had any intention of buying

2 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

Currently have a 718 sat on the drive.  I return it tomorrow, will share my 2p then.

In the meantime, this one is Agate Grey with a RED interior.....I mean, come on, who in their right mind has a RED interior  @boxsternoob56  ;):D 

Someone with impeccable taste ?

Mines in for a service at Reading for two days come Monday, I've no idea what I'll be getting but I'll be off to the coast :-)

One hopes for a 718 - any sort, got the week off for other things, may the sun shine :-)

7 hours ago, thanatoid said:

Mines in for a service at Reading for two days come Monday, I've no idea what I'll be getting but I'll be off to the coast :-)

One hopes for a 718 - any sort, got the week off for other things, may the sun shine :-)

If you don't ask, you won't get....well you will, but it'll likely be a golf! 

So, my short(ish) and to the point review.

The 718 is a great car.  The 'S' is fast, very fast.  The interior update works for me, although there are a few areas for improvement - keyless entry and starting, but no start button instead a large daft 'pretend key', somewhat pointless.  The GT upgraded steering wheel does indeed feel quite plasticky and the new PCM could do with some trim around it.  Besides that the slight tweaks work for me. 

PASM was great.  Sports Chrono has an additional Individal mode where you can customize a few options. Normal mode was very comfortable and there would be no problems using the car as a daily drive.

Onto the engine.  As mentioned it's blisteringly quick, especially in Turbo Nutter 20s Sports Response mode.  The engine note is low, rough, grumbly but does sound 'sporty'.  Many people will not have a problem with this.  Coming from a 981S, it's a stark comparison.  I'm relatively new to the marque, but when I first test drove a 981 and let rip, I've got to admit I nearly pee'd myself thinking "I'M IN A FRICKING RACING CAR".  Massive smile on my face and the inner child came out (not hard to do tbf). 

I tried to relive that same experience in the 718.  Yes it sounds sporty, but it has lost the musical note and for me that's a large part of the experience.  And for that reason, I'm out.

For those lining up to buy a 718 - its a great car....but it's biggest competition is the 981.

Pics to follow

The demo I had was a 718S, with no less than £20k of options and a total list price of £71k!

The car....

WP_20160507_09_39_54_Pro_zpsqoewdnhd.jpgWP_20160507_09_41_13_Pro_zpsd363thln.jpgWP_20160507_09_40_24_Pro_zpsrv5acyx0.jpgWP_20160507_09_40_18_Pro_zpskmjzqsft.jpgWP_20160507_09_40_09_Pro_zpsedim5uf6.jpg

Red interior (no further comments :) ......

WP_20160507_09_41_01_Pro_zpsqmcf5y6c.jpg

Does NOT go well with carbon fibre

WP_20160507_09_42_07_Pro_zpshiy9t6qd.jpg

MF Wheel

WP_20160507_09_42_13_Pro_zps7z9a2iix.jpg

Daft keyless starting switch

WP_20160507_09_42_21_Pro_zpswib3utha.jpg

HUGE 911 calipers....(susceptible to rusty bolts! Oh No!)

WP_20160507_09_41_19_Pro_zpskp2cymsp.jpg

LED headlights

WP_20160507_09_41_36_Pro_zpsjgwwi3id.jpg

And finally, the old and the new.......

WP_20160507_10_44_10_Pro_zpszobd9nfi.jpgWP_20160507_10_43_53_Pro_zps0vyag89v.jpg

Hate that black bit on the back where it says PORSCHE, looks chavy. And i expect it will get damage when putting stuff in the boot.

Also expect people will assume the key has been left in it when its parked up! how long before 981 owners stick their badges on the bumper though?? lol

We're just back from testing the 2l 718 pdk. Well the engine certainly has a lot of torque/speed - but the sound is so completely different that previous owners will take a while to get used to it. When the pdk kicks down a gear or two the instant torque could surprise a lot of people - its easy to forget the 300bhp when stuck silently in traffic.

I forgot the newer generation has a better ride - and possibly faster PDK. Everything else about the car is great! The steering is very light at low speed and I suspect some people really won't like its lack of feel - however the wheel is smaller and the rate is faster - which is better than our 987.2

Top marks for Bournemouth giving us an hour on our own with no hard sell/messing about.

2 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

The demo I had was a 718S, with no less than £20k of options and a total list price of £71k!

The car....

WP_20160507_09_39_54_Pro_zpsqoewdnhd.jpgWP_20160507_09_41_13_Pro_zpsd363thln.jpgWP_20160507_09_40_24_Pro_zpsrv5acyx0.jpgWP_20160507_09_40_18_Pro_zpskmjzqsft.jpgWP_20160507_09_40_09_Pro_zpsedim5uf6.jpg

Red interior (no further comments :) ......

WP_20160507_09_41_01_Pro_zpsqmcf5y6c.jpg

Does NOT go well with carbon fibre

WP_20160507_09_42_07_Pro_zpshiy9t6qd.jpg

MF Wheel

WP_20160507_09_42_13_Pro_zps7z9a2iix.jpg

Daft keyless starting switch

WP_20160507_09_42_21_Pro_zpswib3utha.jpg

HUGE 911 calipers....(susceptible to rusty bolts! Oh No!)

WP_20160507_09_41_19_Pro_zpskp2cymsp.jpg

LED headlights

WP_20160507_09_41_36_Pro_zpsjgwwi3id.jpg

And finally, the old and the new.......

WP_20160507_10_44_10_Pro_zpszobd9nfi.jpgWP_20160507_10_43_53_Pro_zps0vyag89v.jpg

old styling wins it for me ... awaits the incoming gunfire ?

Have you noticed, or is just me that in the last but one pic the newer car does not appear to have such a pointed front end, yet on the bottom pic it does ?....

33 minutes ago, Seagull Fan said:

Have you noticed, or is just me that in the last but one pic the newer car does not appear to have such a pointed front end, yet on the bottom pic it does ?....

I thought the same, the perspective makes the furthest car seem more "pointy"

1 hour ago, Kirkm said:

The steering is very light at low speed and I suspect some people really won't like its lack of feel - however the wheel is smaller and the rate is faster - which is better than our 987.2

that's possible Power Steering Plus, an option that makes the steering more responsive at lower speeds

could be - we didn't see the full options list on that red car.. I just realised it had sports chrono - hence the steering wheel circular control and clock - I think that the default PDK is faster with that... Hmmm makes me want to test the 981 again now to feel the steering!

4 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

The interior update works for me, although there are a few areas for improvement - keyless entry and starting, but no start button instead a large daft 'pretend key', somewhat pointless.  The GT upgraded steering wheel does indeed feel quite plasticky and the new PCM could do with some trim around it.  Besides that the slight tweaks work for me. 

The Keyless entry system is a bit daft IMO, been around for a while and basically what you say...a dummy key permanently in the ignition.

It would worry me that some idiot thinks its the real thing and breaks a window thinking they can steal the car...they may not get away with the car but cause damage in the process.

Also it sticks out a bit too..

And as far as the steering wheel, I think it looks odd with a black centre on a red interior (with red outside circumference wheel too)

24 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

And as far as the steering wheel, I think it looks odd with a black centre on a red interior (with red outside circumference wheel too)

standard steering wheel would be red center in red interior 

Archived