Stuart21UK

981 Warranty what would you do?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. would you?

• 1 year renewal OPC
    • 2 year renewal OPC
    • take 3rd party warranty
    • not renew/take warranty

mine went the other way, I had renewed the 987 in July 2013 at around £450 and when I called to change to the 981 in the September (a car almost 6 times the price of the 987) they refunded me about £95 after deducting a £25 admin fee...renewal was the same price the following year i.e the now cheaper £350 'ish premium, this year basically the same again...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised to find my renewal notice was cheaper with Saga than I could get elsewhere. I have 10 years NCD, but one no fault accident in two previous years. Both, whilst parked :angry:   

I doubt I will extend the Porsche warranty, unless I experience issues whilst under OEM warranty.

I bought my 981 earlier this year from Sytner Select up in Wakefield and it came with a 6 month warranty plan.  I've had occasion to use this twice within the first month as I had a PSM warning light come on the way home and subsequently took it into the OPC in Reading.  Whilst they fixed the PSM problem (£430) they also discovered a leaking condenser (£1150).  All was covered by the Sytner warranty without fuss.  I have now had a quote to extend the warranty for a further year for £620 (10X£62 if paid monthly).  This doesn't require the Porsche 111 check before they will allow a warranty on the car unlike the OPC's warranty.  I guess for peace of mind I'll be taking them up on their offer at least for a further year.

We have just had a window switch (the unit controls all 4 windows, so not just a single switch it's the whole unit) and a rear air con vent that lost its control flap, done on the Cayenne.

They have also ordered a new roof console as there is noticeable clicking when using the telephone and are keeping an eye on an oil leak too

I seem to be having a run of things on the Cayenne, but have also had a few items on the 981 too...including a frayed seatbelt on a sub 3 year old car...makes you think

6 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

We have just had a window switch (the unit controls all 4 windows, so not just a single switch it's the whole unit) and a rear air con vent that lost its control flap, done on the Cayenne.

They have also ordered a new roof console as there is noticeable clicking when using the telephone and are keeping an eye on an oil leak too

I seem to be having a run of things on the Cayenne, but have also had a few items on the 981 too...including a frayed seatbelt on a sub 3 year old car...makes you think

Stuart...watch the oil leak on the Cayenne...they had ours for about 3 weeks last year, to change an oil seal which required the engine out. There was no noticeable leak but it was something they said they were asked to look for when carrying out a service.

6 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Stuart...watch the oil leak on the Cayenne...they had ours for about 3 weeks last year, to change an oil seal which required the engine out. There was no noticeable leak but it was something they said they were asked to look for when carrying out a service.

ok thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2016 at 11:17 PM, boxsternoob56 said:

wondering if my grills will mean I fail too?

I just renewed my Porsche warranty yesterday. The 111 pt check identified the Zunsport grilles, but there wasn't a problem in renewing. It also spotted rusted exhaust and flange bolts (£403 to fix, no thanks), plus a broken "spax", which it turns out is the vestigial mudflap ahead of the real wheel (no ta), rusted brake discs (which I'll do later) and expired tyre gunk.

Two years warranty and roadside, plus the 111 pt check, £1680. Gulp.

Has anyone had an instance with an OPC who has flagged up issues that needed doing before they would renew, taking the car elsewhere to be fixed (or fixing things yourself) then going back only to be told they still won't renew because you didn't let them do the work? Just interested.

Chris.

23 hours ago, topradio said:

Put the money in the bank and spend it on a treat for the family in two years time is my recommendation.

I here you but I have had brake pedal switch, air con blower, crease in seat bolster, roof marks (they wont cover) and am currently pursuing frayed seat belt issue all under warranty...

You could argue that £1600 would have covered the cost of these anyway...also that not having a warranty gives no issue with Zunsports and continued OPC servicing/brakes etc...

On balance I think I will still renew when it comes to it (unless they tell me I need an endless list of work to sort it beforehand)

£1600+ seems a bit steep.  Plus, I thought the cost of the 111 point check was waived if you took out the warranty?

Just looked at my paperwork and the previous owner took the 2yr option (no roadside assistance) and it came in at £1320.

Now, this seems pricey - but my BMW 520, that I use to pound up and down the motorway in, is about to turn 3yrs old.  The warranty quote from BMW is almost £1100....PER YEAR!

3 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

£1600+ seems a bit steep.  Plus, I thought the cost of the 111 point check was waived if you took out the warranty?

Just looked at my paperwork and the previous owner took the 2yr option (no roadside assistance) and it came in at £1320.

Roadside is £275 for two years (hence the difference)...one year is £169

The 111 point check is not free (I thought it was too, if an existing warranty was extended), I managed to get them to reduce it from £215 to £96 inc vat for it

Two years warranty is then £1190 on top, one years only £660

So in effect one year warranty £660 plus one year Porsche Assistance £169 plus 111 check (normal price) at £215 would be £1045 inc vat

...whereas two years is £1190 + £275 + £215 = £1681 (I managed to get it for £1561)

Hope that clears that up! :)

3 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

Now, this seems pricey - but my BMW 520, that I use to pound up and down the motorway in, is about to turn 3yrs old.  The warranty quote from BMW is almost £1100....PER YEAR!

My Father in law is having his 07 plate BMW 320d in for warranty work as we speak and said his warranty has a £250 excess...never heard of that one before!

My last 111 point check was basically free as the car had a major service and most if not all the checks are part of that so anyone else who considers a warranty renewal and has a major service too make sure you get it thrown in for free

I wonder if having a warranty makes your eye more keen to spot things that you could 'get done for free'  whereas without a warranty you'd either put up with them or sort it yourself (possibly more cheaply) 

5 hours ago, mike597 said:

I wonder if having a warranty makes your eye more keen to spot things that you could 'get done for free'  whereas without a warranty you'd either put up with them or sort it yourself (possibly more cheaply) 

Very much this. I think warranties are good for people who like hassle free ownership and don't mind paying for it. Lots of us on here like working on our cars and so a warranty is of less relevance unless it's to protect against major failures such as IMS.

...I don't have the knowledge, time or inclination to work on my car...even washing it is a bind nowadays

For me its a simple t*ss up between OPC Warranty and take it to them for everything bar light bulbs/tyres etc

OR 

Take it to an indie as & when things need attending to and don't worry about the warranty to start with (applies for me when the car gets to a certain age where the OPC stamps are less important and the car is older, say at the 5 year point)

• 2 weeks later...

To finish off thi thread....

I took the car into Silverstone OPC for the 111 point warranty inspection, having removed the Zunsport's on the front (they needed to come off due to the car going onwards to Elite Bodyshop for the insurance work anyway). Almost 2 hours and £1561 later the car now has a further 2 years warranty and Porsche Assistance too. Also to note the car has done almost 27500 miles and is still on the original discs and brake pads (5mm left by all accounts). There were no requirements to be attended too to allow the extension either.

NB I am surprised about the dics pads, I seem to remember getting through a set every 12-15000 miles on the 987!

Archived