Is this a good buy?

Boxbrownie

Sorry if this is not in the correct area but, tomorrow we will be viewing a main dealer 2008 2.7L Manual 25K miles, leather int, and usual standard bits ie no satnag etc.

It sounds like a nice little car if devoid of frills, it is a colour we like both inside and out and obviously will come with a 2yr OPC warranty, asking £23K....

Obviously this is the first Porsche I have ever looked at buying so wondered if main dealer might be the way to go first, what with the warranty etc.

Any advice willingly accepted (and most likely ignored :D)....please?

Looks like they're charging a steep premium for the low mileage, and low mileage on a Boxster isn't necessarily a good thing.  It depends on who those miles were accumulated: if lots of short trips, barely getting up to full temperature, then bad news.  If weekly decent runs out, then good news.

Expensive, but roughly in line with two other 2008 Boxsters on the Porsche Approved website.  Both 30k miles, one for £20k the other for £22k.  How about instead buying from outside the OPC network?  You'll get a similar age and mileage car from roughly £16k and then buy warranty separately.

Excellent, just what I was expecting and what I needed, I suspected as much (well actually knew really) that it would be top dollar as it's a short leg OPC car.

I have seen another and although outside the OPC network it is the same'ish mileage but two years younger (which appeals) and slightly cheaper.

I can see this is going to be an interesting and steep learning curve search. :blink: 

10 hours ago, Boxob said:

Aim for a 987.2. No IMS. 

Happy hunting :)

Cheers, forgive my ignorance just yet but what and how do I know a "987.2" please?

10 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Haha.....I can see this being trouble, we started out looking for a little conny for tootling around our new found retirement area and  we thought OK £10K and in the scheme of things easy, then we thought after looking around a bit more hmm better make that £15K for just that little bit better/reliable/choice.....now we are saying whoops looks like we should spend around £20K and get really something we will love, and now.....see what your doing? :D

No.....think it must be a £20(ish) and preferably a PDK/Auto with a lighter interior (although this seems almost impossible) and definitely NOT a black car, we want something with colour to sparkle......maybe not the bright banana yellow one I saw (I loved it but the purse said "NO").

A search indeed.

PDK is a 987.2, which is any car manufactured after (I think) July 2008. An easy way to distinguish the non-S model is to see the engine size - a 2.7 is a .1, a 2.9 is a .2. Similarly, if it's a PDK it's a 987.2, if a Tiptronic it's a 987.1.  Enthusiasts here love PDK for superfast Playstation gearchanges, but if you're just buying it for pootling around, a tiptronic will be fine.

I wouldn't countenance 20k for a .1, but apparently some do.

Nothing wrong with bright colours ;)

I can see quite a few 2009/10 30-50K PDK around (or a smidge above) £20K......just means a LOT of travelling to see any of them, but if I can believe half the ads it might be worth it :D

Is the switchable exhaust worth going for or is it more trouble than it is worth?

Also what is the difference between some satnag which have a SIM card slot and some do not?

Are the super duper headlights worth looking for?

SIM card slot turns your phone into to a mobile with its own number. 

The switchable exhaust is well worth having! Exciting noise for spirited drives and quiet and calm when you need it to be. Best of both worlds.

Switchable exhaust is definitely nice to have, and I think different on the PDK than on the old Tiptronic, with throttle blips. Childish but really puts a grin on your face :)  There are alternatives if the car you buy doesn't have one.

SIM card - how much do you want to make phone calls while driving? You're retired FFS?!

Super duper headlights - there are those who say the standard ones are fine, and those who say the standard ones are so dim to be downright dangerous.  I think aside from that, once you know the quality of your own eyesight, you may also question how much you will drive the car in the dark.  I'd also ask if your Q3 has xenon lights - as if it does, you'll find the Porsche standard ones to be very dim by comparison. You can put in uprated bulbs (Nightbreaker, XtremeVision) etc for £30 to improve them though.

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Switchable exhaust is definitely nice to have, and I think different on the PDK than on the old Tiptronic, with throttle blips. Childish but really puts a grin on your face :)  There are alternatives if the car you buy doesn't have one.

SIM card - how much do you want to make phone calls while driving? You're retired FFS?!

Super duper headlights - there are those who say the standard ones are fine, and those who say the standard ones are so dim to be downright dangerous.  I think aside from that, once you know the quality of your own eyesight, you may also question how much you will drive the car in the dark.  I'd also ask if your Q3 has xenon lights - as if it does, you'll find the Porsche standard ones to be very dim by comparison. You can put in uprated bulbs (Nightbreaker, XtremeVision) etc for £30 to improve them though.

Interesting, thanks.

Switchable exhaust not many have but obviously seems like a nice bonus if it comes on the car....tick

SIM card slot, don't care a fig for making phone calls in the car, hell I very seldom even go out with a mobile on me, but I thought the SIM card might be needed for some demon trickery for the google earth sat nav stuff, had that on a few new Audis and it works well, but sounds like the Porker SIM is just for call, so can forget that....tick

Headlights, yes I have HiDs and would not be without them, never have a car again without quite frankly, they make such a difference to night driving, as for my eyes....20/10 at the last test in 2015 so no probs with my eyesight  :blink: , so if I understand you correct a lot of the 987 cars have halogen headlamps? Hmmm OK that narrows it down further, good to know cheers.....tick

BTW Halogen Nightbreaker/Xtreme Vision are OK as an upgrade but NOT a patch on HiDs.....IMHO of course :D

2 hours ago, cjd said:

How about this, not too many toys but is an 11 plate with PDK at a very good price, with really low mileage.

porsche boxster 2011 pdk 2.9 SILVER

good luck with your search.

That one's a Cat C, so probably best avoided unless you really know what you're doing.

Archived