Smells of fumes and down on power

Willemite

My 987.2 S has always smelt a bit hot oily from outside the car but very recently it is smelling of fumes (exhaust?) whilst driving and this is a lot more noticeable when driving with the roof down - as if fumes are being sucked into the car. It also feels down on power, not as sharp as it should do.

What sort of things should I be checking for?

(or getting someone to check for me - I am a mechanical incompetent )

29 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Have the emissions been ok on the previous MOT? Any smoke or odd residue in the exhaust?

Last MoT was just over a month ago and all was OK then. The problem has developed very recently

I'll go for petrol cap needs replacing and the rest is all in your head - that's high on the fuel fumes :-D

Not sure on the 987, but a new cap for the 986 is only a tenner and instantly stopped my fuel smells.

5 minutes ago, Patt said:

I'll go for petrol cap needs replacing and the rest is all in your head - that's high on the fuel fumes :-D

Not sure on the 987, but a new cap for the 986 is only a tenner and instantly stopped my fuel smells.

+1 mine had gone, I hadn't really noticed but Lee @ Cotswold Porsche found it and replaced it FOC :)

16 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Does the exhaust sound louder or are you seeing white smoke in your mirrors at full throttle and high revs?

Exhaust (PSE) pops and crackles a bit more perhaps. No white, or any other colour smoke usually apart from very occasional white smoke on start up if it's been doing a lot of short journeys but it's always done that. 

Archived