Rear Tyres on a Boxster S

stew72

Without spending £300 + on a pair of N rated Bridgestones or Contis, what tyres would be good on the rear of my Boxster S? Size is 265/35 R18.

What about none N rated Bridgestones such as the RE050, Yoko Advan V105S, Avon ZZ5's or even Uniroyal Rainsport 3's?

All opinions and recommendations welcome.

I have goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 all round, these tyres are great but with this warm weather the grip has moved to another level, once they are warm they egg you on :)

I would suggest whatever is on the front as these cars don't work so well with mixed tyres. 

Just now, PaulQ said:

The mixed tyre thing is a myth.

Do you say that from personal experience?  I don't have any personal experience but over the years I've read lots of people who have complained about handling, have been established to have a mixed set of tyres, changed to all matching and found the handling much improved.  I would guess some is simply the effect of new versus old rubber and there will be some placebo effect as no-one wants to spend $$$ on tyres and think they wasted their money.

41 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Do you say that from personal experience?

Yes.

My car currenty has Pilot sport 4's on the front, and Kumho KU39's on the rear. Had Nokian/Goodyear on when I bought it.

Its a lovely steer, and i've not had any handling issues at all, at any speed. Driven all year round in all weathers.

Worth bearing in mind that even if you fit the same make & model tyres all round, they dont match anyway, unless you are running a square setup.

Perhaps i've just got lucky with my combinations, but I reckon the difference between a 205/255 tyre will be bigger then any make/model differences.

If you read round the forums then plenty of people seem perfectly happy with diffferent make/model tyres front rear on their Porsches, yet many have tried it and had

issues. Maybe its a tread difference thing/between front rear, or possibly the new tyres are just not that good ? Who knows.

To say these cars don't work so well with mixed tyres though is simply not true in my experience.

no comment on the mix but i've just swapped N rated bridgestones ('12 made) for new Rainsport 3's (on front) and its like a different car.

grip, comfort (very) and turn in much improved and i've previously put them on a 2.5tdi Avant quattro and it loved the rain and forgot the name of understeer afterwards!

has pirellis on the rear and they work well together FWIW as an anecdote:)

It's not a myth in my experience but of course it depends on what tyres you get un/lucky with. 

The previous owner fitted a pair of Firestones firehawks on the front, they're ok but I don't really want to put them on the rear. I don't subscribe to the need to have the same tyres on each axle, but I can see why some people would prefer that.

michelins on the back, contis on the front, when they wear out I'll have michelins on the front too, purely cos I like them :-) 

No hurry....

So reckon it's a moth,  myth....argh..

Mine had worn Pirelli P Zero Rosso N rated on the front with a couple of mm left. The rear had brand new when I purchased the car non premium budget tyres. Ran like that through a winter and spring eventually changing all 4 tyres probably 8 months after I got the car in around d July. The car even had at least one CG geo in that time and new arms and bushes. As soon as the new tyres were on bare in mind no fresh geo the car was noticeably better. This was my second Boxster so do know how they should feel. You would not want to drive the car hard with the tyre combination it had. 

Archived