MAF the magic dragon!

Mr96er

Lord have mercy, if you're ever bored with your 986 try cleaning the Maf sensor, I just freed up some serious ponies from the previously stifled top end and the throttle response is crisper throughout. I just had to go and have a play in the countryside to feel the increased pick up in the steep hills too. 

For all you super well maintained owners, this is surely bread and butter. But to those newbies or even those who just turn the key and drive it, it may reveal a smile you weren't expecting... 5941736F-216F-49FC-AF81-FC81B309BBF1.jpg

2D3C041B-9699-4394-86D9-2320D5BEEB72.jpg

How and with what did you clean ir? :)

Si

As I'll be doing this when I get back from the Ring Monday night!

46 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

How and with what did you clean ir? :)

Si

As I'll be doing this when I get back from the Ring Monday night!

You can get "MAF cleaner", but it's essentially electrical contact cleaner.

If IPA = Intraairflow Puss Anticoagulant then yes. 

I used carbcleaner, although I've heard tell MAF cleaner is almost the same but safer... Couldn't comment. Reading both bottles the warnings and instructions were almost verbatim the same. If it blows up I'll take a pic so those who need to can point and laugh. 

Warning, I also heard (objection! hearsay your honour!) that cleaning a Maf can be a short term fix and accelerate its demise. Let's see, cos I was gonna buy a new one if this failed anyway...?

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Will IPA do ?

Some people use it, but with the maf submerged in it.  Not tried it to comment, but apparently it does the trick.

Unless you mean ale, in which case no :laugh:

Unless there is a MAF issue then it is prudent to leave it alone in case one is introduced!

I suspected an issue with mine so cleaned it, the throttle body and plenum. The difference in performance was very noticeable. However six month later I had to replace the MAF so, although I bought some time, cleaning the MAF was not a permanent cure for reduced performance.

I used brake cleaner on mine which fixed a strange flat-spot when warming up.  The MAF was dirty and the brake cleaner shifted the dirt with a few blasts.  Apart from that, it behaved the same.

Having replaced MAFs on other cars, I'm aware they don't last forever, so will budget for a new one next year as my car's coming up to 74K now.

I then poured myself an IPA. 

On 7 August 2016 at 9:27 PM, wardpaa said:

Did you disconnect the battery when you unplugged the MAF ?

I did not. 

On my old Boxster maf failed and threw up a check engine light. When I disconnected he maf, within a day the light went out. Saved me having to fork out for a reset.

Archived