981 Brake Upgrade

temporarychicken

Nice write up. Did you get the new stretch bolts from the OPC? Did you also find out what torque setting or tightening sequence they should have if they are stretch? Looking to do mine when needed so would help me out :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:31 AM, temporarychicken said:

Thus far I've not even boiled the standard Porsche brake fluid. I think @Buzzfox had had issues with fluid though in his GTS.

I have a track day on the 24th so we will see how this upgrade holds up! 

I had problems with boiling fluid in both my 987.1 (only did one TD in this) and 987.2 Black Edition. I switched to RBF660 on recommendation from a friend who drove in the Time Attack series and never had a problem - rock solid pedal all day.

In the GTS I never tried the OEM stuff on track and asked them to replace it with RBF660 before my first TD. They only used 1 litre for the full change which I don't think is enough to completely flush a whole system but what do I know?!The pedal lost some of it's firmness after a couple sessions so I assumed the hybrid OEM and RBF660 fluid was the problem and asked them to do the change again. Again they only used 1 litre and again the pedal wasn't as firm as I think it should have been after the first hard run. So after that I asked them to bleed through the last 1/2 litre I had left when they did my disc/pad change. Now, when I picked it up and noticed they hadn't used my 1/2 litre they said they bled some air out of the system and with the pistons pushed back to allow for the new pads they didn't need to add any fluid - hmmmmmmm!!

The pedal does feel ok at the moment so I guess I'll find out on the 24th September how she feels, that's if I don't get black flagged for noise!

I didn't know that manuals shared the fluid reservoir with the brakes - my first Boxster was a tiptronic and my second (current) one is a PDK. Another guy on this forum, @Mike986S has a manual car running RBF600. Hopefully he will have had the clutch bled at the same time as the brakes to ensure fluid consistency.

On 9/15/2016 at 9:19 AM, temporarychicken said:

I didn't know that manuals shared the fluid reservoir with the brakes - my first Boxster was a tiptronic and my second (current) one is a PDK. Another guy on this forum, @Mike986S has a manual car running RBF600. Hopefully he will have had the clutch bled at the same time as the brakes to ensure fluid consistency.

Hmmm... I haven't had the clutch bled. It is Brembo LCF600 fluid in there and the forecast for Saturday looks like being warm for this time of year. So a real test on the cards then.

Archived