Buying a CAT D 2003 3.2 s

Borisboy

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of a Porsche Boxster and having recently driven one want to get one for weekend/fun car. Priouviously owned a TT and wife has an SLK but in a 4x4 now. Ive been looking and researching cars of around 2003/04 986 models. I'm considering a CAT D. Right off; having checked the history i'm happy with the history. The car was involved in a rear end shunt in 2009 and was written off by the insurers. Having researched the CAT D write off criteria I feel a little more comfortable with it. The guy who has it now bought it in 2011 and spent a fair bit just loving it with a £2300 initial bill and then no expense spared since. 

The car is a 2003 3.2s with 51000 on the clock.  All the paperwork is in order with FSH and all MOT's without advisories present. All paperwork present for all work carried out including the original repair bill from 2009. Body work is in excellent condition as is the interior given the the fact its a 13 year old car.

Has anyone got advice or thoughts on the above please?

Thanks

It all depends on the asking price for the car and if you're perosnally comfortable owning a cat-D repaired car (regardless of the quality of the repair). Additionally, I don't know how long you intend on keeping it, but you will really narrow the audience who'll be interested in it when it comes to selling it just due to the category tag.

But as a car in its own right. The history and paperwork sounds great and if it's straight, honest and true with a top end repair (assuming the damage was mostly cosmetic and is >99.9% perfect)... Then it will still be a great car to drive and own. Anybody you drive past won't know it's a catD unless you tell them. 

9 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Cat Deeley seems to be popular at the moment :)

She's always popular in my eyes. :wub:

Cheers, Baggers.

Its the same car as I was looking at....

I didnt continue with this one as the verdict was that it was worth circa £5k and the seller will not shift to less that £5.5k, although advertised price is £6250 - Boreham Wood.

I have no issue at all with Cat D so long as the repair was done well, and there are many cars out there that would of had similar damage/ repairs, that have got fixed personally without involving the insurers.

Archived